300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Beat...

Questions for all you street coppers out there, LITERALLY.

Does anyone still walk their beat? I mean, your regular assignment has you walking a beat. And I don't mean, drive a patrol car someplace and park it. I mean you're walking...

Well, I do. There's something about walking down the sidewalk after dark with my stick out twirling it around. Make you feel like a police man in the old fashion kinda way.

I gotta work on my Irish accent. . .

"I need 2 sets of numbers."

"ok officer, what's your car number?"

"haha, size 10 in a half."
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

My beat comprises 1/3 of the county, so NO I dont walk my beat.
    John 3:16

Comment

Today, even our footbeat units usually drive.

I started out walking a beat, downtown on Skid Row, 30 years ago. About four years ago, as a patrol sergeant, I made a decision to pull my hat out of my locker, put it on, and walk for at least one hour of my 12 hour shift. Since I had no partner, I stayed on the sidewalks, always visible to passing black and whites. I wouldn't penetrate any park or building without advising communications.

You, and your bosses, may be very surprised by the response that you get from local business owners. Good luck.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

yeah, a lot of people are surprised to see a cop walking by when they're standing on a corner waiting for a bus or whatever. I did it for a few months a little while ago, then I bidded out to another shift, but now I'm back.
        "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

My "Beat" is a Community College Campus.

I do alot of walking, in and around the buildings, visit the smoking areas, down to the outdoor basketball court, and occassionally to the aquacenter ponds.

I like the idea of community policing, meeting and talking with the kids and adults who attend the College. Get a feel of what's going on (they know each other better than I do). As I do my "rounds" try and talk to everyone I meet, even if they don't want to talk to me. (that's the fun part hehehe ). Make myself visible to these people.

Don't do it 100% of the time (weather gets real hot). Great weight loss program (hmmm although I haven't lost much lol)
          Last edited by taz1802; 06-12-2007, 06:28 PM.
          If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5443 users online. 311 members and 5132 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X