300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the right away?

There was an accident recently in Rochester NY, involving a motorcycle, and the rider of the motorcycle happened to be an Instructor for a safety Learn2Ride course. From what I understand the Motorcyclist was approaching an intersection where the car (Vehicle A) in front of him was turning left. The Motorcyclist went around the right side of the Vehicle A as to continue going straight through the intersection. In doing so another car (Vehicle B) coming from the other direction was also turning left and turned into the path of the Motorcycle. The Motorcycle and Vehicle B collided and the Motorcyclist was not seriously injured, broken wrist and collar bone.

Who had the right of way? Would it matter if the Motorcycle had to cross the white shoulder line in order to go around Vehicle A? And can or should Vehicle B get away with the excuse.. "I didn't see him"?

The reason I ask this is 2 part. First being I know the motorcyclist as I took his Learn2Ride safety course. And second this same instance happens to me about twice a week at the same intersection on my way home from work (I'm not exaggerating it honestly is on average twice a week). I have yet to get in an accident because of it, but it is frustrating having to hit my brakes on my motorcycle and wait for a vehicle to turn left in front of me when I feel I have the right of way.

"Right of way" -- not "right away" just noticed that

Comment

If there is only one lane of travel then you must wait for the vehicle in front of you to clear the roadway before proceeding. If the motorcycle had to cross the white line, leaving the lane of travel in order to go around the turning car then he was at fault. If he is a safety instructor then he should have known better.
      Last edited by indypig; 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If he was able to go around Vehicle A without crossing the white line is he still at fault?

Comment

I think it depends on state law. I'm sure your state has a Motor Vehicle Safety office, which probably has a website listing the answer to such questions.

Not enough information here, especially since state laws differ on such matters.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Is anyone from New York who would know the answer?

Comment

One lane of travel means one lane of travel. Doesn't matter if it's a car, motorcycle, or bicycle. It's only designed for one vehicle at a time. Oncoming traffic is paying attention to the turning vehicle, expecting only one vehicle to occupy that single lane. If there are 2 lanes of travel then yes, the vehicles continuing straight have the right of way over turning vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by indypig View Post
                One lane of travel means one lane of travel. Doesn't matter if it's a car, motorcycle, or bicycle. It's only designed for one vehicle at a time. Oncoming traffic is paying attention to the turning vehicle, expecting only one vehicle to occupy that single lane. If there are 2 lanes of travel then yes, the vehicles continuing straight have the right of way over turning vehicles.
                Ok, that makes sense I believe you have answered my question. Not necessarily the answer I wanted but it does make sense. Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4831 users online. 243 members and 4588 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X