Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EM, I recently sent one back that didn't do well with stressful situations too, You work up north right? Pierre was my very first trainee years ago at Temple........Loved him like a brother
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I knew him pretty well, he was good friends with my old partner. God, I hate motors, I love riding but would never do it on duty, especially up there. I know how you feel, mine was killed in a shooting up in Montana 2 years ago. He always dreamed of being out of the dangerous big city...
      Carpe Noctem

Comment

My dept's FTO program is 16 weeks. Our dept is pretty big so the recruits have the rumour mill when getting assigned FTO's. I was an FTO from 1998-2003 at the best station in the worst district in the city. This district is so busy that sometimes you have to be a dick FTO for officer safety (two cops at the station killed in the LOD between 2003-2005) especially when your district leads the city in most homicides every year.

So a recuit gets his FTO station and assignment in the Academy and already the rumor mill starts as to the reputation of the FTO and Station. The hardest thing for an FTO is his first recruit, first female recruit, and first lateral. After all that then the FTO develops thier style. Some FTO's are good, some are great, and some shouldn't be FTO's.

You have to be fleixble and adjust yourself to the FTO's style especially with his/her grading style. Whatever you do don't say "last phase we did...or my last FTO said" That will get you in hot water fast. Also don't be cocky and be humble to your fellow coworkers, FTO's, FTO Sergeants, and higher ranking supervisors.

Comment

That IS bizzare! What were the odds?
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I was also an academy instructor for many years, so many of my trainees and I had already met in the classroom.

I made it a policy in the first few minutes of riding with an FNG, to tell him, "Get me in front of a cup of coffee in ten minutes, or you're fired."

This served a couple of needs. First, it forced the recruit, who has just spent 6 months sitting on his keester in aclassroom and, who wants nothing more to do with sitting and waiting, to sit, and wait. Many recruits are pumped so full of sunshine and "theory" on that first day, they just can't wait to go out there and arrest their first communist, thus beginning a long career of saving the world from them. They are too eager and too jumpy.

Once we'd relaxed for a few and gotten to know one another, then we got to drive the police car! Actually, he sat and took copious notes while listening to my rhetorical questions and while I quized him on where we were, etc.

Finally, sometimes the same shift but usually a few days later, when he / she was abouit to pull their hair out, I let them drive.

I tried to avoid befriending my trainees but it never worked. ALl, are friends to this day - even those who had difficulties. Somehow, wr got'm through and on their own.

My biggest nightmare (and a common one to all FTOs), was passing someone not ready - someone who fooled you and got themselves hurt or killed because you forgot to hammer something home. So, suffice it to say all of mine found me a bit insane about officer safety.

Of course, two of mine, (if you'll pardon some bragging ) have survived and actually won gunfights (dead bad guy). Both told me later, they could still hear me shouting "WATCH THEIR FRIGGIN HANDS, GOD-D**N-IT!!!" and "NEVER GIVE UP U NTIL YOU'RE DEAD." and other gems

I guess it worked.
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2909 users online. 150 members and 2759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X