300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Test help

Hello everyone, I will be applying for Phoenix Police Department next month and looking for some assistance on the Physical Test. I currently run the 1.5 mile time at 12:35 which the City of Phoenix considers the minimum required time (bottom 40%). I am not satisfied in being in the bottom 40th percentile and looking to change this. Can someone provide me with some good workouts / exercises / techniques that will help me lower my time? Thank you in advance.

-My ultimate goal is to run 1.5 miles in under 8:00 minutes. I know this is going to take a while to achieve this but I am up for the challenge.

**NOT A LEO**
    HIIT
    High Intensity Interval Training
    30 seconds at a low pace
    30 seconds as fast as you can
    repeat and mix up the times as you can handle.
    Are you looking to bulk up as well as get faster?
    All you can do is train train train to get there, and with HIIT you will get there pretty quickly

Comment

i'm so sorry. I forgot this was ask a cop.
      Last edited by Presence; 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM. Reason: mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by dlnotyetcop View Post
        **NOT A LEO**
        HIIT
        High Intensity Interval Training
        30 seconds at a low pace
        30 seconds as fast as you can
        repeat and mix up the times as you can handle.
        Are you looking to bulk up as well as get faster?
        All you can do is train train train to get there, and with HIIT you will get there pretty quickly
        Excellent! Thank you dlnotyetcop. I actually just started something similar to this. I starting walking 10 sec and sprinting for 20 secs for 4 minutes. I am going to do your HIIT recommendation and see how it works. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Reconaz View Post
          Hello everyone, I will be applying for Phoenix Police Department next month and looking for some assistance on the Physical Test. I currently run the 1.5 mile time at 12:35 which the City of Phoenix considers the minimum required time (bottom 40%). I am not satisfied in being in the bottom 40th percentile and looking to change this. Can someone provide me with some good workouts / exercises / techniques that will help me lower my time? Thank you in advance.

-My ultimate goal is to run 1.5 miles in under 8:00 minutes. I know this is going to take a while to achieve this but I am up for the challenge.

Run and run some more while mixing in sprints.

Seriously though,running it under 8 minutes is a good goal but not needed at all. If you can consistently run it in 10-11 minutes you will be near the top of your class with only a minimal number ahead of you.

Also,I don't remember running 1.5 miles but maybe a handfull of times. We always ran 4-6 miles so running an 8 was pointless for anyone. Our fastest was 9:00. The class behind us had a guy set the FLETC record running it in just under 7 minutes I believe.

Like I said if you can stay in the 10-11 range over a long distance you will great.

PS..you will not get to 8 quickly at all no matter what you do. Even if you all out sprint and get it you will be gassed and when you have to keep going further,everyone else will pass you up.
          Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Just noticed that there is a fitness section on this forum. I will re-post this question there so that non-LEOs can provide some information. I would still like to hear what LEO would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Reconaz View Post
              Just noticed that there is a fitness section on this forum. I will re-post this question there so that non-LEOs can provide some information. I would still like to hear what LEO would recommend.

Exactly...just use the search function in that thread and you will find everything you need as it has been discussed there numerous times

GL
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
                Run and run some more while mixing in sprints.

Seriously though,running it under 8 minutes is a good goal but not needed at all. If you can consistently run it in 10-11 minutes you will be near the top of your class with only a minimal number ahead of you.

Also,I don't remember running 1.5 miles but maybe a handfull of times. We always ran 4-6 miles so running an 8 was pointless for anyone. Our fastest was 9:00. The class behind us had a guy set the FLETC record running it in just under 7 minutes I believe.

Like I said if you can stay in the 10-11 range over a long distance you will great.

PS..you will not get to 8 quickly at all no matter what you do. Even if you all out sprint and get it you will be gassed and when you have to keep going further,everyone else will pass you up.
                Thank you! I do appreciate your advise.

As for my goal to run at 8 mins or less, its more of a personal goal. Back in High School I used to run a mile in 6:18 mins. After I graduated I let myself go and gained allot of weight. Now that I have lost over 30 lbs I am wanting to test myself and see if I can get my running time back.
                Last edited by Reconaz; 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4818 users online. 292 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X