300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrations of getting jipped by a major company

On sunday, I purchased quite an expensive computer from a best buy retail store. Got home later on sunday, got the box open, only to find out the wrong damn computer was in the box. The computer that was actually inside the box is about 700 dollars cheaper then the one I actually paid for and was on the outside of the box.

Long story short, yesterday I spent over 5 hours on the phone and in the store. Best Buy claims they can't verify my claim, so bottom line, I can't exchange or return the computer, dispite the fact this was clearly their mistake. The manafucter claims they sold the computers to best buy, and thus best buy is compeltly responsible for them.

While this makes me extremely angry, there is little I can see to do :/. I am going to file a complaint with the state, but I honestly (with my current case load and general demands) don't have the time to fight this thing out. I could sue in small claims, but the cost and or time would not make it worth it. If I even did manage to bring this to small claims, the burden lies with me to prove my case, and all they would have to say is I switched the computers in some attempt to scam them.

Its quite disheartening, but I don't see any action that I could effectively take that would both work and take little time. Best Buy knows this, which is why they basically said, do whatever you feel you have to do.

I guess I'm just seeing what my fellow brothers in blue would do. I have talked to senior management up to the corporate level, and not one person in a position of authority has hinted at their companies willingness to help.

Go to the media......

Or get a hold of some of the computer magazines (like PC World) and write into them if they have a ombudsman....and see if they will help.....

I know from reading National Geo Traveler, Conde Nas Traveler, and several other magazines......the travel companies usually respond to them and make good....

Good luck....

Comment

Media Media Media!!!

Our local news has an "On Your Side" feature where they report people getting ripped off by companies, or other senarios other people fighting unjust things. And if Best Buy was to get featured in a bad way via the media, Id bet that upper level management would want to squash it before thousands of people see your story. I know around here, the media would eat up a story like that.

Comment

Jipped, or is it Gipped? By Major Company

Originally posted by MaineSqueeze View Post
        Media Media Media!!!

Our local news has an "On Your Side" feature where they report people getting ripped off by companies, or other senarios other people fighting unjust things. And if Best Buy was to get featured in a bad way via the media, Id bet that upper level management would want to squash it before thousands of people see your story. I know around here, the media would eat up a story like that.
        Maine Squeez's Post X-2. Companies,especially major, well known ones, don't like negative publicity. Seems like they would have wanted to it good. Maybe what you've described is one of the hazards of buying from Big Box Inc. Hope this deal works out for you.

Comment

Actually, I think it's "gypped"...comes from "gypsy"

Comment

lol.. god knows I don't know how to spell! Yeah, there is a local news station, wtopnews.com, which has a program called call for action, in which they investigate and possibly report on consumer complaints. I am thinking of giving them a call.

Yeah, it is honestly frustrating when the senion manager just simply told me when I asked what options I had, and he rudely stated, theres nothing we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvedMyMotor View Post
              Actually, I think it's "gypped"...comes from "gypsy"
              I believe you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by CGIS1 View Post
                lol.. god knows I don't know how to spell! Yeah, there is a local news station, wtopnews.com, which has a program called call for action, in which they investigate and possibly report on consumer complaints. I am thinking of giving them a call.

Yeah, it is honestly frustrating when the senion manager just simply told me when I asked what options I had, and he rudely stated, theres nothing we can do.
                Man, by all means, do so!! And, make a point of that quote. "Nothing we can do".

Comment

Get a number for the regional manager. Take it to corporate headquarters before you go to the media. It gives them an opportunity (actually EVERY opportunity) to make right. If that doesn't work, it makes for juicy headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                    Get a number for the regional manager. Take it to corporate headquarters before you go to the media. It gives them an opportunity (actually EVERY opportunity) to make right. If that doesn't work, it makes for juicy headlines.
                    Good idea, but I have already talked to senior management from their corporate office. It was a senior manager in there consumer relations department that told me last night, "there is nothing we can do, so you just go ahead and do whatever it is you have to do."

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      I believe you're right.
                      yeah,,,it's important to know trivial stuff like that

Comment

Dude,

I have heard that this is a common fraud at Best Buy, I've heard of several instances of it, one guy even found rocks in the box he bought.

The last few times I've bought anything from BB, I've opened the box immediately before being rung up. That's my insurance policy.

EDJ
                        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Okay, I'm not a cop, but since I'm trying to help the OP, who I presume is a cop, and because this isn't an LE-related thread, I humbly request not to be banned.

Presumably, the computer they gave you has a serial number. And presumably the box that it came in (which you hopefully still have) also has (on the UPC tag) the serial number for the computer you should have received. I'm pretty sure BB's inventory systems include serial numbers for items like PCs, so they should be able to use this info to track info such as who purchased the computer they stuck you with.. or whether it was purchased at all (and if not, suggests a rotten employee somewhere). If they refuse, then tell the media they wouldn't bother to try to help even though they may have info to track things down. Another alternative is to contact the mfr of the computer you should have received and tell them the story to see if anyone has registered for warranty purposes the computer you should have received. It's worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipse View Post
                            Okay, I'm not a cop, but since I'm trying to help the OP, who I presume is a cop, and because this isn't an LE-related thread, I humbly request not to be banned.

Presumably, the computer they gave you has a serial number. And presumably the box that it came in (which you hopefully still have) also has (on the UPC tag) the serial number for the computer you should have received. I'm pretty sure BB's inventory systems include serial numbers for items like PCs, so they should be able to use this info to track info such as who purchased the computer they stuck you with.. or whether it was purchased at all (and if not, suggests a rotten employee somewhere). If they refuse, then tell the media they wouldn't bother to try to help even though they may have info to track things down. Another alternative is to contact the mfr of the computer you should have received and tell them the story to see if anyone has registered for warranty purposes the computer you should have received. It's worth a shot.
                            Unfortuantely, this idea assumes that the computer in the box is one that was at some point entered into that Best Buy's inventory. If not, then thee store will still come back with "well, you could have put that in the box yourself" as they already have.

Still, this sounds like a good idea and I would recommend giving Best Buy the option to investigate the issue from this angle before going to the media. At best, Best Buy will find out that it was something in their inventory at some point, and be able to track who it went to. At the very worst, Best Buy will either say they won't investigate that issue, or they'll come back to report it was never an item in their inventory.

So, either the issue is resolved nicely and cleanly, or you have more juice to add to the story you'll give the news station. A no-lose strategy, if you ask me.

(P.S.: Please no ban, here. I'm offering my opinion as support from an IT Professional, who has experience handling boxed computer products and inventory. Feel free to remove this post if deemed necessary, and I will keep that in mind for future reference.)
                            Last edited by Iszi; 06-13-2007, 02:49 PM.
                            "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
                            I honestly want peace with you.
                            But when you come against my country,
                            When you come against my family,
                            You try to destroy my people,
                            I can't just stand by...
                            I am coming, and if I come, then
                            Pain is coming with me!"

Comment

Last edited by Iszi; 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM. Reason: Oops, double-post. Don't know how that happened. Sorry.
                              "I'm not afraid of loving my enemies...
                              I honestly want peace with you.
                              But when you come against my country,
                              When you come against my family,
                              You try to destroy my people,
                              I can't just stand by...
                              I am coming, and if I come, then
                              Pain is coming with me!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5675 users online. 295 members and 5380 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X