Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do most police departments really care about illegal immigrants?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NolaT
    replied
    I guess what you'd be evaluating would be their ability to be trained, handle stress and follow basic instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Most complete their FTO while waiting for the academy. DUI paperwork needs a certified officer so they have to call in a fully trained person to invoke implied consent etc

They have to have certain training (Firearms, DT, etc) Any non academy training can be completed also.

The FTO process is modified in that they are more trainers than evaluators for these officers

UPSIDE is that our academy has very few drop outs or flunk outs as the people going to Des Moines for training have a bit of experience in the profession

In the last 60 yrs since the academy (and this rule) has been in force...................there have virtually no problems with an "untrained" person doing something stupid.................Usually it's certified officers screwing up that is the problem.

I actually was right at 13 months when I went to the academy but I was in the jail during that time but I was in a larger county. (AND that was 40 yrs ago)

Bottom line is it works for many states...............there are more than a handful that allow this

• 9L81
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I don't get that at all. Liability is huge not to mention the near uselessness of having an untrained officer on the street. I've read about this in other threads here on this forum and I still find it to be a bizarre practice.

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    How could an FTO possibly ever evaluate a rider's skill and/or knowledge, when they have no skill and no knowledge?

• NolaT
    replied
    I would imagine they start out as if being FTO'ed, but even then, with not even textbook training, the liability issue sounds incredible. Imagine if on day one, the FTO becomes incapacitated and this, "less than a rookie", is on their own,.....

i guess the only upside is that small depts can see if someone is a fit before the academy bill.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    The liability of doing that, is absolutely mind boggling.

How would a completely untrained person do a DUI case?

• NolaT
    replied
    Same here, you can he hired, sworn in, and be on the street for up to one year, with absolutely no official academy training.

No big departments do it, but I can understand the economics associated with very small depts.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Once again!

Another satisfied customer

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by NolaT View Post
    Good point, in the south there isn't any self sponsorship for academies, that I'm aware of. I had not ever come across that term before seeing it here, maybe he's self sponsoring, as a trainee.
    The only way to get hired in Florida is to go to the academy at your own cost then get hired (except BIG departments)

Terms are terms and they are often regional or even state specific...............In Iowa the officers are often hired (and able to work for up to 18 months without certification) before going to the academy. They are true Police Trainee's in the academy since they are already sworn officers ........

In this case I think the fact is he was paying his own way

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly my point

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    I've never seen it on the west coast either, but apparently it happens somewhere.

It sounds like just another scam for colleges to make money with- they create some kind of lightweight "academy" that you have to pay them to attend, except there is no written entrance exam, oral board interview, physical agility test, criminal history check, driving history check, credit check, drug screening, psych testing, polygraph, or in-depth background investigation- I'm guessing the only vetting that takes place is seeing if your tution checks will clear the bank. I'll bet almost everybody "graduates", and almost none of them actually get hired.

• NolaT
    replied
    Good point, in the south there isn't any self sponsorship for academies, that I'm aware of. I had not ever come across that term before seeing it here, maybe he's self sponsoring, as a trainee.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Originally posted by Corporate View Post
    Looks like we have another deleter...

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    You mean like a "pay to play" pretend academy at a community college, right?

I seriously doubt this astronaut is actually in a real state or agency-run police academy...
    Last edited by Aidokea; 06-16-2021, 02:53 PM.

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    The term "cadet" or "recruit" would indicate that he had been selected by an agency for those positions, and I suspect that he has not...

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5042 users online. 307 members and 4735 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X