300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-lived after retirement?

Is what I read here quite some time ago.

There seemed to be a discussion on retirement and the statement "Most cops don't live five years past retirement" came upon the topic.

Overly stressful job, or retire when you're 80; five years away from the average life-span of a male

Discuss.
    Last edited by Jyn; 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM.

That has slowly started to change, as hiring ages reduce. When i came on, the average guy who was an old-timer had gotten hired around age 30, meaning they werent elligible until their mid-late 50's. Now, the average hiring age is 23-24. Other factors are healthier lifestyles, more activities, more departments with physical standards, better health care in general..that all adds up. When I was a newbie we worked around the clock, changing shifts every tour, with double nights trhown in. Almost everyone smoked, ate REALLY bad food as a matter of course, and was no stranger to adult libations off-duty. While the boozing hasnt changed much, the rest has.

Comment

Originally posted by Jyn View Post
      Is what I read here quite some time ago.

There seemed to be a discussion on retirement and the statement "Most cops don't live five years past retirement" came upon the topic.

You guys either have a overly stressful job, or retire when you're 80; five years away from the average life-span of a male

Discuss.
      Hope you're wrong about the "five year" part. I've only been retired for 18 months.

Comment

I'll be happy with 5 years---most Phx cops die 2-3 years after retirement . As to why--- many officers simply let themselves go or think there's no life after LE and make terrible life choices afterwards. Sure it's changing but at a very, very slow pace. I try to keep busy & in shape in hopes of beating the odds & I'll admit I'm actually in better shape than when I was on the job but there's something about this job that makes people willingly risk their health to do it. Hopefully Depts. in the future will realize all this and adjust accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Hope you're wrong about the "five year" part. I've only been retired for 18 months.

Live it up. You'll be dead soon.
          What Delta said x2

Comment

We had a sergeant retire just last year. He and his lovely wife moved to Mississippi, bought a beautiful house, and he got a job (I heard) with a sheriff's office in a non-patrol type function. He died 2 months later of a heart attack.

We had another a few years ago that died of a heart attack as he left the retirement office - just signed his papers.

I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this job....dang it, I wanna get something outta my retirement, too!!

Comment

Is it believed to be related to stress from the job or simply unhealthy habits? Even with unhealthy habits, I don't believe pastry chefs die shortly after retirement.

Originally posted by PFL View Post
              Live it up. You'll be dead soon.
              LOL
              Last edited by Jyn; 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I'm dead inside already........I'm dead inside

Seriously though, just try and enjoy out of work activities and take care of yourself. If you make you're whole life LE it will kill you.

Comment

duplicate post
                  Last edited by LuvedMyMotor; 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

I retired at the ripe old age of 50 after 27 years. I've never been more financially secure in my life, and as much as I absolutely loved my job, I don't miss it at all. I'm almost 3 years into THIS life and looking forward to many, many more. I mean there is NO stress. I've heard stories about guys dying soon after retirement, but I guess my agency is lucky. Not only have we never lost an officer on duty, I don't think ANY officer I've ever known has died yet after he/she retired. That's 27 years of officers retiring and still kicking. Of course, I'm not close to the guys who retired soon after I hired on, but we have a great network of folks who keep everyone informed of "the family" via e-mail. I've gotten a few notifications of former officers passing on, but they've always been guys who left before I came aboard.
                    Last edited by LuvedMyMotor; 06-12-2007, 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

You just HAD to rub it in by posting twice, didn't you Luvmymotor?
                      What Delta said x2

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
                        You just HAD to rub it in by posting twice, didn't you Luvmymotor?
                        Stop it! I don't need the stress!

Comment

I think y'all are missing it... its not being away from the job that kills retired officers. Its not having the job as a means to get away from the wife that ultimately is the demise of retired officers.

Comment

Yeah, you guys are reeaallyy stressed out, huh?

I retired at the ripe old age of 50 after 27 years. I've never been more financially secure in my life, and as much as I absolutely loved my job, I don't miss it at all. I'm almost 3 years into THIS life and looking forward to many, many more. I mean there is NO stress. I've heard stories about guys dying soon after retirement, but I guess my agency is lucky. Not only have we never lost an officer on duty, I don't think ANY officer I've ever known has died yet after he/she retired. That's 27 years of officers retiring and still kicking. Of course, I'm not close to the guys who retired soon after I hired on, but we have a great network of folks who keep everyone informed of "the family" via e-mail. I've gotten a few notifications of former officers passing on, but they've always been guys who left before I came aboard.
                            Let me know how you're doing in two years, please!

Comment

In our dept 53 seems to be the age to get past!

I don't plan to be a part of that 5 year statistic...thank you very much!
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11617 users online. 508 members and 11109 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X