300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss Prevention/Security Jobs

I am still in school and would like to find a summer job that can at least relate to a future career in LE. I have been off of school for about a month now and have applied to 2 mall security agencies, Securitas Group, Old Navy, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Kohls, Wal-Mart, and a few other places. Can anyone think of any place that would hire a seasonal security guard or loss prevention agent? I currently have a job in a grocery store, which I've held for more than 3 years now, and desperately want to get out of there.

Try becoming a security guard for the summer. They usually make more money anyway
    John 3:16

Comment

got a theme park or water park around? great place to start
      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

bikecop is correct, theme parks are great place to be security, i would know, it is good experience if you learn how things work all around

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don't know of any theme parks or water parks around here within driving distance, however I am definitely going to look into that. Thanks.

Comment

OTV what part of NY are you from? They are always hiring for LP and security in the city.

Comment

Sorry, thought this was General Law Enforcement topics. OTVFD18, check your PMs.
              Last edited by LPSS; 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: Removed post.
              "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Enforcer View Post
                OTV what part of NY are you from? They are always hiring for LP and security in the city.
                Upstate, not as many LP jobs up here. Thanks though.

Comment

Starting to look around again. Anyone have any new ideas? No theme parks or tourist attractions within driving distance.

Comment

I did loss prevention for 3+ years and I believe it is a better learning experience over uniformed security. We worked shoplifting and internal theft cases, testified in court, and learned some good interview techniques with theft suspects. The pinhole cameras were fun too.

Normally uniformed security is strictly there as a deterrent and training is usually sub-standard, at least in my area.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

SgtScott,
                      I share the same feelings. I would much rather gain experience in LP over uniformed security. However, it is hard to find companies willing to hire a 20 year old for the summer/holiday season or knowing that I will be leaving shortly to take a job as a LEO. Even 3 years of college and a current GPA of 3.95 doesn't help!

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                        I did loss prevention for 3+ years and I believe it is a better learning experience over uniformed security. We worked shoplifting and internal theft cases, testified in court, and learned some good interview techniques with theft suspects. The pinhole cameras were fun too.

Normally uniformed security is strictly there as a deterrent and training is usually sub-standard, at least in my area.
                        +1!!! Working loss prevention also teaches the potential officer about use of reasonable force to make arrests, taking responsibility for one's own safety and using common sense under high stress situations. It can be a great learning experience.
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

*Not a cop- but have worked both jobs*

I would say it would depend on where you were doing these jobs. I just graduated from college last May and began working LP at a Best Buy while I was getting back into shape and it was horrible. It was boring and you had to deal with some really bad retail managers. I've learned a lot more from my security job than I ever thought I would have. I'm now going through the process for two different agencies and believe that while not the greatest job in the world (far from it), the hospital security job I'm currently working has at least helped me get a better understanding of how to deal with different people and an idea of what LE is really like, as we interact daily with the local LEO's. Just fyi, it's night shift at a large-community hospital in a not-so-great part of town with a psychiatric wing.

That being said, here are the definite upsides to working (at least hospital) security...

1.) You get to know the local LEO's: We have a very good working relationship with the local pd's since they are coming in almost every night with Emergency Psych Evals or investigating other cases. You can kind of get a sense of some of the everyday stuff they have to do from talking to them. Most of them will stand around and BS with you for a few minutes about whatever you want to talk about if they arent loaded down with calls. They can also give you some good advice on local pd's, areas and dept's to avoid, and whatnot.

2.) You get to know the local ER staff: always good to be on a first name basis with the local Medical staff, enough said I think...

3.) You learn how to deal with potentially escalating situations without using violence: In over 6 months, I've dealt with a number of situations that really could've gotten violent but were diverted by just talking it out with the parties. This is probably the most important thing I've learned. Along with that, you just become a little more used to confronting people.

4.) You get experience dealing with people with psychiatric issues: Something I probably would've never dealt with in LP.

5.) You get experience dealing with drunks, drug addicts and people coming off of those substances: I cant tell you how many people we've had to deal with that were either going through withdrawl or that were high on PCP that I wouldnt have had the first clue about if I was working LP.

That's basically about it, I'd definately say to stay away from most LP positions and even some security positions (like malls and whatnot). I'd definately look into hospital security if I was you. Some places might hire you for the summer and then let you go on call/seasonal so you can still work when you come back from school. Just thought I'd share...
                          Last edited by AdamCrist85; 01-02-2008, 05:31 AM.

Comment

I worked security for three years before joining the ranks. Just make sure you get with a company that is professional. most are good, there are a few out there that give the rest a bad name and lead to a "wannabe" stereotype

Comment

Adam...I worked security at BestBuy for about a month (around xmas before LE work). They are more of a uniformed presence, just in yellow shirts rather than a goofy uniform w/a badge. I caught one of their employees discounting CD's at the register and they really didn't know how to deal with it. It was pretty sad, which is why I left. Hopefully it has improved.
                              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5433 users online. 304 members and 5129 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X