Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal law enforcement.. is it worth it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Federal law enforcement.. is it worth it?

    Hello Everyone,
    I wanted to get some perspective on Federal Law enforcement, and really the FBI more than likely since that's the only "entry level" 1811 job that accepts without prior experience. Most of my background falls in the realm IT networking and cyber security. I have a degree in Game development, and spent 4 years in the Navy as an enlisted Information Systems Technician with a Radio sub speciality. I'm currently working in the private sector for one of the major Aerospace and Defense companies with a fairly comfortable lucrative Network / Security
    Engineering support position.

    It's a pretty good job, but I find it painfully boring. Upon my departure from the military I was juggling between IT and law enforcement but missed out on interviews because of Ship underway periods and the Law Enforment Agency being unflexible.

    I'm still definitely interested in law enforcement, but I was really interested in the Federal side because it seemed like it has a "white collar" side where my technical background could be used.

    The biggest thing really giving me pause is from an ethical standpoint. The gateway agency to this work would be the FBI. The FBI, along with a few
    other agencies has a terrible reputation and some questionable history. I consider myself as someone with very Libertarian leaning values, and I take the oath to the Constitution very seriously. I would absolutely
    love to serve and protect my country and lock up real criminals doing real crimes, but bureaucracy and politicalization gives me pause.

    Is the FBI a good choice for someone that wants to do good in a non-partisan, fair and impartial way? Is it possible to work for a Federal Agency in an honorable fashion that respects the Constitution and seeks only the truth?


  • #2
    Good Heavens, where to begin??


    the FBI more than likely since that's the only "entry level" 1811 job that accepts without prior experience
    Not true.

    It's a pretty good job, but I find it painfully boring
    So is doing surveillance night after night, or standing post in a hotel stairwell for three weeks, or reviewing 2 terrabytes of data looking for the one inculpatory email...

    The FBI, along with a few other agencies has a terrible reputation and some questionable history
    J. Edgar's been dead for almost 50 years.

    I consider myself as someone with very Libertarian leaning values, and I take the oath to the Constitution very seriously.
    Is that you, Rand Paul?

    Is it possible to work for a Federal Agency in an honorable fashion that respects the Constitution and seeks only the truth?
    Well, that's what 99.9% of current 1811s do everyday...
    The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

    -Japanese proverb

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      Good Heavens, where to begin??




      Not true.



      So is doing surveillance night after night, or standing post in a hotel stairwell for three weeks, or reviewing 2 terrabytes of data looking for the one inculpatory email...



      J. Edgar's been dead for almost 50 years.



      Is that you, Rand Paul?



      Well, that's what 99.9% of current 1811s do everyday...

      Okay... in less flowery, more blunt words...

      I have no desire to burn children alive or shoot pregnant women. I also like dogs and don't want to shoot them.

      In no relation to the above statement-
      Can't be worse than 12 hour watches. Or sweeping water in the rain. Or trying to hammer plastic screws into metal because "we gotta pass INSURV!" And plenty of other assorted bull****.

      I've played this game before. Don't tempt me.

      I also quite like Rand Paul. His dad is a pretty cool dude too.
      Last edited by USN_GTO; 06-02-2021, 11:08 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have no desire to burn children alive or shoot pregnant women. I also like dogs and don't want to shoot them.
        Not sure what your point of reference is. Waco? Ruby Ridge?? Mai Lai???

        Quite sure there's something a little off here. Nothing further from me. And a Hard No, fwiw.


        The nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

        -Japanese proverb

        Comment


        • Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Seconded...

      • #5
        Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

        Not sure what your point of reference is. Waco? Ruby Ridge?? Mai Lai???

        Quite sure there's something a little off here. Nothing further from me. And a Hard No, fwiw.

        Nothing off. You gave a sarcastic 'Mark-Wahlberg-Cop-from-departed' answer so I returned the same level of sarcasm. Don't think there's anything off about that. Don't be salty if you can't handle a salty response.

        That doesn't change my reservations about the climate of the FBI though. I think it is a very valid concern, especially considering the types that are currently being grilled by Congress for heading some of these agencies. A person can question things and still want the greater good. I would hope our law enforcement agencies are capable of independent thought and aren't just "yes men" for whatever agenda is being pushed. This isn't a ****ing contest of who's job is harder or who has flashy credentials.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post
          Hello Everyone,
          I wanted to get some perspective on Federal Law enforcement, and really the FBI more than likely since that's the only "entry level" 1811 job that accepts without prior experience. Most of my background falls in the realm IT networking and cyber security. I have a degree in Game development, and spent 4 years in the Navy as an enlisted Information Systems Technician with a Radio sub speciality. I'm currently working in the private sector for one of the major Aerospace and Defense companies with a fairly comfortable lucrative Network / Security
          Engineering support position.

          It's a pretty good job, but I find it painfully boring. Upon my departure from the military I was juggling between IT and law enforcement but missed out on interviews because of Ship underway periods and the Law Enforment Agency being unflexible.

          I'm still definitely interested in law enforcement, but I was really interested in the Federal side because it seemed like it has a "white collar" side where my technical background could be used.

          The biggest thing really giving me pause is from an ethical standpoint. The gateway agency to this work would be the FBI. The FBI, along with a few
          other agencies has a terrible reputation and some questionable history. I consider myself as someone with very Libertarian leaning values, and I take the oath to the Constitution very seriously. I would absolutely
          love to serve and protect my country and lock up real criminals doing real crimes, but bureaucracy and politicalization gives me pause.

          Is the FBI a good choice for someone that wants to do good in a non-partisan, fair and impartial way? Is it possible to work for a Federal Agency in an honorable fashion that respects the Constitution and seeks only the truth?
          Saved.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post


            Okay... in less flowery, more blunt words...

            I have no desire to burn children alive or shoot pregnant women. I also like dogs and don't want to shoot them.

            In no relation to the above statement-
            Can't be worse than 12 hour watches. Or sweeping water in the rain. Or trying to hammer plastic screws into metal because "we gotta pass INSURV!" And plenty of other assorted bull****.

            I've played this game before. Don't tempt me.

            I also quite like Rand Paul. His dad is a pretty cool dude too.
            Saved.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post

              Nothing off. You gave a sarcastic 'Mark-Wahlberg-Cop-from-departed' answer so I returned the same level of sarcasm. Don't think there's anything off about that. Don't be salty if you can't handle a salty response.

              That doesn't change my reservations about the climate of the FBI though. I think it is a very valid concern, especially considering the types that are currently being grilled by Congress for heading some of these agencies. A person can question things and still want the greater good. I would hope our law enforcement agencies are capable of independent thought and aren't just "yes men" for whatever agenda is being pushed. This isn't a ****ing contest of who's job is harder or who has flashy credentials.
              Saved.

              Comment


              • #9
                What does "USN_GTO" stand for? I'm guessing the first part is U.S. Navy...

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post
                  ...but bureaucracy and politicalization gives me pause.
                  You're going to encounter that at ANY law enforcement job.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                    What does "USN_GTO" stand for? I'm guessing the first part is U.S. Navy...
                    Is this supposed to intimidate or scare me? Is this some attempt to dox me? Because I asked a question or apparently said something controversial? Really? That's way more "off" than anything I said. You can save as much as you like. I'm not sure where you are going with that or what exactly is o "scary" about what I asked. God forbid I question something.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post

                      You gave a sarcastic 'Mark-Wahlberg-Cop-from-departed' answer so I returned the same level of sarcasm. Don't think there's anything off about that. Don't be salty if you can't handle a salty response.
                      You now have more years of SUCCESSFUL law enforcement experience on this thread, than the number of years that you have been alive.

                      ...and what you are doing is the equivalent of checking to see if an electric fence is on, by peeing on it.

                      Law enforcement agencies are paramilitary agencies, that operate with a chain of command, and appropriate respect is shown for superior officers at all times- at this point, you're not even a rookie yet. If you spoke to any of us with that tone within your first few years if being hired, you'd be unemployed. Well actually, I'd have you doing pushups in a mud puddle until you threw up, and then you'd be unemployed.

                      If you want our help, then repair your malfunction, otherwise you're probably not going to be here long.

                      Apologize to Rat.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post

                        Is this supposed to intimidate or scare me? Is this some attempt to dox me? Because I asked a question or apparently said something controversial? Really?
                        It was a question, and nothing more.

                        "GTO" is a label that has been applied to a number of cars, and vehicles are a hobby of mine, so I found it interesting.

                        But your paranoia is off the charts. Wow...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by USN_GTO View Post

                          Is this supposed to intimidate or scare me? Is this some attempt to dox me? Because I asked a question or apparently said something controversial? Really? That's way more "off" than anything I said. You can save as much as you like. I'm not sure where you are going with that or what exactly is o "scary" about what I asked. God forbid I question something.
                          Oh, and saved...

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            You know the FBI has other positions than just 1811s right? If its not your cup of tea apply for one of the other positions. Most of the agents are good people. The FBI SA job also isn't an entry level job, whoever told you this doesn't know what they're talking about. Are some of the FBI 1811s A holes? Yes the agent you saw in front of congress about his comments about the prior president, and who had an affair with one of the attorneys is, but he isn't indicative of the rest of them. In fact he got terminated since he violated policy, fat chance he'll win his law suit.

                            I've dealt with 1811s a few times and haven't had any issues. You'll deal with agency bureaucracy routinely, all you can do is laugh and complain about it. My agency is like that and so is everyone elses.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 2588 users online. 116 members and 2472 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X