300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Campus Police

I would like to know if theres any major differences if going for a state university or a private university campus police department?

I searched on the forum search engine and i dont really see a strong university campus base around, just thought i might want to bring it up, because its a path not many think about going for (Just even thought about it a few days ago for me).

Campus University police departments often are not too large, thus you may not see a large base of them around. However, I've spoken to several OSU officers while working special duty at home football games. (Great Fun! ) From what I've been told, it can be challenging work. And the fact that your jurisdiction is "campus grounds" does not mean you will have a cake-walk job. There are assaults, thefts, sexual assaults, vandalism, burglaries, etc....... all of which can be quite dangerous to deal with.

I suggest that if you have the means and are interested, that you apply to be one. I am no authority on this subject, so I won't presume to speak much more about the process. Any university officers on the forum, your input would be appreciated.

Comment

University Police

Originally posted by damode View Post
      I would like to know if theres any major differences if going for a state university or a private university campus police department?

I searched on the forum search engine and i dont really see a strong university campus base around, just thought i might want to bring it up, because its a path not many think about going for (Just even thought about it a few days ago for me).
      There are some notable exceptions to this "rule", but in general, private universities do not have Police Departments. They have Security Departments.These consist of non-sworn, unarmed personnel, who perform security services on the campus. University Police, Campus Police are generally found at state/county/city supported campuses. More often than not, these agencies function as virtual small to mid size police departments. Campus Police officers possess arrest powers, issue traffic citations, investigate accidents, and investigate criminal activity. They are Police Officers in every sense of the word. I believe there are at least two, non-state supported universities whose Officers possess police powers. They are Notre Dame University in South Bend Indiana, and Tuskegee University in Tuskegee Alabama. Very possible there are more.

Comment

Originally posted by damode View Post

I am a state university police officer. PM me, if you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold978 View Post
          Campus University police departments often are not too large, thus you may not see a large base of them around. However, I've spoken to several OSU officers while working special duty at home football games. (Great Fun! ) From what I've been told, it can be challenging work. And the fact that your jurisdiction is "campus grounds" does not mean you will have a cake-walk job. There are assaults, thefts, sexual assaults, vandalism, burglaries, etc....... all of which can be quite dangerous to deal with.

I suggest that if you have the means and are interested, that you apply to be one. I am no authority on this subject, so I won't presume to speak much more about the process. Any university officers on the forum, your input would be appreciated.
          In Indiana, an accredited private college or university may have an actual police department. Effective July 1st, all Indiana college and university police departments will have state-wide jurisdiction. As already mentioned, most private schools have security and most public schools have police. Such police agencies operated as any other, for their size. The general public tends to think of us as the “student police” but we work with people from all walks of life and with people from all over the world. A significant number of our arrestees have no affiliation with the university.

Comment

In IL any private school may maintain a Police Department with the same powers as a Municipal Police Officer or County Sheriff. Often times these departments retain the name of "Campus Safety" or "Campus Securty" or "Public Safety" for PC reasons to make the students and public feel more at ease, but I can think of seveal examples where these are fully sworn and certified departments. The pay depends on the school and typically how their view toward police is (Liberal vs Conservative schools). Some schools pay more than the municipalities they are located in, and some schools pay horribly.

Working at a University or College is much like any other LEO job. You get your share of forcible crimes, larceny, etc.

I can tell you more about the politics/work load, etc if you want to PM me.

Comment

Speaking only knowledge of the UGA police, I can say they're a "state institutino" and their arrest powers are extended beyond what I imagine an independent campus police agency would be. For exmple, they have arrest powers within a certain distance of any state-owned property, including highways.

They are also extremely well funded, and well-trained. The cases they work typically are not the same as the Athens police, as they have a closed circuit of people on campus. Much like the MP, I would think...young, healthy, better-educated, etc.

They are also very political. VERY political. Promotion can be had quickly, relative to City PDs, as a lot of campus cops graduate and move back home, as they are students themselves.

They have the intersts of the University primarily in mind, and this does not always jive with the intersts of justice. Parents want to believe they're sending their kids to safe environments, and some crimes are downgraded to make the place seem safer than it is.

There is generally a high emphasis on training and education, as that's the function of a University. They have special situations, such as sports events, and handle crowd situations well, such as checking for alcohol at school events.

After 9-11 and after the Columbine school shootings the state funded agencies generally upgraded their materiel' if not their tactics. It's easy to lose your job as a campus cop, if you offend the wrong guy. I suppose that's true with any police job, but there are a lot more VIPs on campus, per capita.
              "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Yea i went ahead and checked out my local private university (University of Miami), and basicly they go through the process just as if i applied to the regular police department where U.M is located at.

Ill have to go through the same process and be ceritified just like any other police officer.

If i have any questions ill make sure to PM any of you guys, thanks for the heads up

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4988 users online. 311 members and 4677 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X