300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vandalism..

Would it be considered vandalism to tamper with those lighted signs stores have where they put the transparent letters in to form a message? I wanted to pull a prank on a place I used to work it, I wouldn't put anything offensive or malicious up there, just something that would get a few chuckles. I wouldn't remove any of the letters they had, just change them around or add some of my own. Since I would not be causing any damage, or taking anything, just re-arranging a sign, is this a crime?

Realize that the store has to want to pursue complaints in order for you to get jammed up. Here, we'd let them sign local Disorderly Conduct complaints, maybe even so far as Criminal Trespass. But again, since the Police Department doesn't own the property, an Officer couldn't sign the complaints. If you think the owner/manager/employees would be cool with it, I say go for it.
    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Originally posted by pf217 View Post
      Realize that the store has to want to pursue complaints in order for you to get jammed up. Here, we'd let them sign local Disorderly Conduct complaints, maybe even so far as Criminal Trespass. But again, since the Police Department doesn't own the property, an Officer couldn't sign the complaints. If you think the owner/manager/employees would be cool with it, I say go for it.
      The GM wouldn't (its a corporate store), with a permanent sign saying "Now hiring drivers" . I would like to either change it to "No more drivers!" or, "Please tip the pizza driver" . I don't think he would be outraged by it, or anyone else for that matter, and I know the employees would think it was funny or appreciate it if it was the latter, and there is little chance of me getting caught if I did it at night, I just didn't want to be breaking the law.

Comment

I'd maybe just let him know the next day that it was you. Otherwise they'll probably put an extra watch out on the place and all that non-fun stuff.
        "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

I remember a local auto shop, someone put the sign: "We'll miss you Dan!"

Someone changed dan to nad. I thought it was pretty funny, that is assuming they didn't miss him because he died. Anyway, that was how I got the idea, but I thought if I did it I would do something more constructive, like a PSA reminding people we don't actually GET the delivery charge.

Comment

Under TN law, you could possibly be charged for vandalism according to the bold section.

TN 39-14-408. Vandalism. —

(a) Any person who knowingly causes damage to or the destruction of any real or personal property of another or of the state, the United States, any county, city, or town knowing that the person does not have the owner's effective consent is guilty of an offense under this section.

(b) For the purposes of this section:

(1) “Damage” includes, but is not limited to:

(A) Destroying, polluting or contaminating property; or

(B) Tampering with property and causing pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; and
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

A friend of mine told me about one he did repeatedly in high school:

A take-out hamburger place whose sign read "Buns on the Run!"
              Of course, he made it "Runs on the Bun!"
              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by michiganDT View Post
                Would it be considered vandalism to tamper with those lighted signs stores have where they put the transparent letters in to form a message? I wanted to pull a prank on a place I used to work it, I wouldn't put anything offensive or malicious up there, just something that would get a few chuckles. I wouldn't remove any of the letters they had, just change them around or add some of my own. Since I would not be causing any damage, or taking anything, just re-arranging a sign, is this a crime?
                Criminal mischief perhaps. It would depend on the results.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                  Or that's what it would be called here, if anything.

Comment

Or just don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by JonMcD1980 View Post
                      Or just don't do it
                      LMAO...precisely what I was thinking, but I always aim to oblige.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                        I agree with Arkansas.......I'm not certain you would/could be prosecuted under vandalism, but I'm sure your prank could be construed as criminal mischief. It would in Ohio.

Besides, why even do it? Chew on this for a moment: Do you aspire to be a LEO in the future? Do you want to join the military? Or work in the private security industry? If so, why would you want something like this to come and bite you in the a__ if it goes south and gets taken the wrong way? Yes, the offense would be minor...... But I assure you, it will come to light in your background check.

Please use good judgement before you go ahead with this.

Comment

:shrug: If anything, I would cite it as criminal mischief, but I doubt that I would even go that far. I would probably make the kid change it back and I would call his/her momma to let her handle it.

In your case though, I wouldn't do it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6356 users online. 349 members and 6007 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X