Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can A Citizen Own a Taser Gun?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can A Citizen Own a Taser Gun?

    I could probably find the answer if I did enough research on the net but I was hoping a California LEO might be kind enough to save me some time. I've read some threads recently pertaining to the use of lethal force in self defense in the home. All of them said to prepare to get arrested and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees if the event ever happens even if it is self defense. Many of the people stating this were LEOS so I have to consider this advice credible.

    Although I believe I shouldn't have to feel threatened by my government for defending my life and the lives of my loved ones in my own house, I guess this is where we have gotten to in this country.

    I have read that Taser guns can incapacitate a person virtually instantly. I am now considering obtaining one of these for home defense if my government will allow it. I guess I shouldn't even ask if it would be legal to carry one in public, but can a non-LEO even own one here in California?
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

    America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

  • #2
    Short Form Answer: Yes
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, unfortunately you can.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by angela1434 View Post
        Yes, unfortunately you can.
        Ditto
        John 3:16

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JPR View Post
          I could probably find the answer if I did enough research on the net but I was hoping a California LEO might be kind enough to save me some time. I've read some threads recently pertaining to the use of lethal force in self defense in the home. All of them said to prepare to get arrested and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees if the event ever happens even if it is self defense. Many of the people stating this were LEOS so I have to consider this advice credible.

          Although I believe I shouldn't have to feel threatened by my government for defending my life and the lives of my loved ones in my own house, I guess this is where we have gotten to in this country.
          The situation will dictate, but I wouldn't be as afraid of the criminal consequences of using deadly force in your home as I would about the civil consequences. If you shoot someone, especially in litigious-prone California, it's a slam dunk that someone will find a reason to sue you.

          Where the criminal consequences are concerned, this might be a good litmus test: could I make a case to 12 randomly chosen citizens that what I did was lawful and reasonable? I say that because that is exactly what you may have to do.

          Originally posted by JPR View Post
          I have read that Taser guns can incapacitate a person virtually instantly. I am now considering obtaining one of these for home defense if my government will allow it. I guess I shouldn't even ask if it would be legal to carry one in public, but can a non-LEO even own one here in California?
          One of the California cops can weigh in here, because I'm saying what I think, rather than what I know, but I think you can even carry a TASER around with you. TASER recently started producing a civilian model, called the C3.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

          Comment


          • #6
            Taser.

            Current Alabama Law prohibits a private citizen from owning a Taser. There's some irony there, as Alabama Law,(rightfully so), allows a citizen to possess a firearm in his "fixed abode",place of business, or property. Tim's point concerning litigation is well taken. The South is not quite as lawsuit prone as other areas of the nation. Still, they do occur. Usually what happens is a citizen lawfully shoots some perp who absolutely no one cares about. Suddenly, a hundred grieving relatives come out of the woodwork and file suit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Self-defense statutes in Tennessee say that you can shoot someone that invades your home. Can you still be sued? Of course, anyone can sue for anything. Will you lose the lawsuit? Highly unlikely.

              TN 39-11-611. Self-defense. —

              (a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another person when, and to the degree, the person reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The person must have a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. The danger creating the belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury must be real, or honestly believed to be real at the time, and must be founded upon reasonable grounds. There is no duty to retreat before a person threatens or uses force.

              (b) Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within the person's own residence is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury to self, family or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

              (c) The threat or use of force against another is not justified if the person consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other individual.

              (d) The threat or use of force against another is not justified if the person provoked the other individual's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unless:

              (1) The person abandons the encounter or clearly communicates to the other the intent to do so; and

              (2) The other nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful force against the person.

              (e) The threat or use of force against another is not justified to resist a halt at a roadblock, arrest, search, or stop and frisk that the person knows is being made by a law enforcement officer, unless:

              (1) The law enforcement officer uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest, search, stop and frisk, or halt; and

              (2) The person reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary to protect against the law enforcement officer's use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.


              As far as a taser goes, I couldn't find anything in TN law about citizens and tasers. It doesn't say one way or the other. There are laws on our books about security officers and tasers/batons, but that's about all I could find.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
                Where the criminal consequences are concerned, this might be a good litmus test: could I make a case to 12 randomly chosen citizens that what I did was lawful and reasonable? I say that because that is exactly what you may have to do.
                I live in an area where the chance of obtaining a jury "of my peers" appears fairly remote to me and the chance of having an anti-gun owner rogue judge that substitutes his or her personal philosophy for the law of the land is somewhere between possible and likely.


                Originally posted by angela1434
                Yes, unfortunately you can.
                I am going to take this that you did not mean it personally against me. I have to believe that you would rather come to my house and take a heinous criminal into custody who, in addition, would live to see his trial, than investigate me for killing said HC or worse yet being killed by said HC in my own home. I am going to assume that what you mean is you are concerned that criminals might use these weapons on you. I can't say I'd blame you for that. I know that concern was present here in Caleefornya when pepper spray was legalized for Joe Average Citizen. I could be wrong but I don't think it has been used against law enforcement here very often. At least I've never seen it in the press.

                Thanks to everyone who took the time to post an answer for me. Stay safe out there!!!!!
                Jubilant Patriotic Republican

                America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

                Comment


                • #9
                  I guess it depends on where you live.

                  TASER makes a different product for civilians than is used in police work. You shoot it, drop the cartridge, and run away. Meanwhile, the cartridge continues to send pulses to the assailant, unlike a Police Taser.

                  In Calfiornia, probably not. But anywhere you can own a firearm and carry it, you can probably carry a TASER.

                  Some people are psychologically unable to shoot someone. A civilian TASER is a great alternative.

                  But if someone points a TASER at a cop, the cop will (if he's on his toes) shoot the guy. And not with a TASER.
                  "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Of course, in new york the answer is no.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JPR View Post
                      I could probably find the answer if I did enough research on the net but I was hoping a California LEO might be kind enough to save me some time. I've read some threads recently pertaining to the use of lethal force in self defense in the home. All of them said to prepare to get arrested and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees if the event ever happens even if it is self defense. Many of the people stating this were LEOS so I have to consider this advice credible.

                      Although I believe I shouldn't have to feel threatened by my government for defending my life and the lives of my loved ones in my own house, I guess this is where we have gotten to in this country.

                      I have read that Taser guns can incapacitate a person virtually instantly. I am now considering obtaining one of these for home defense if my government will allow it. I guess I shouldn't even ask if it would be legal to carry one in public, but can a non-LEO even own one here in California?

                      Yes, there's a "civilian" version out that will zap for 30 whole seconds.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JPR View Post
                        I could probably find the answer if I did enough research on the net but I was hoping a California LEO might be kind enough to save me some time. I've read some threads recently pertaining to the use of lethal force in self defense in the home. All of them said to prepare to get arrested and spend thousands of dollars in legal fees if the event ever happens even if it is self defense. Many of the people stating this were LEOS so I have to consider this advice credible.

                        Although I believe I shouldn't have to feel threatened by my government for defending my life and the lives of my loved ones in my own house, I guess this is where we have gotten to in this country.

                        I have read that Taser guns can incapacitate a person virtually instantly. I am now considering obtaining one of these for home defense if my government will allow it. I guess I shouldn't even ask if it would be legal to carry one in public, but can a non-LEO even own one here in California?

                        A TASER is NOT a home defense weapon. First, it's usable only against one person, and typically, home invasions are more than one. Second, the range is limited to around 15-20 feet. And third, a TASER is not an answer to a lethal force situation.

                        A shotgun, which shouldn't be hard to obtain even on the Left Coast is an ideal HD weapon. Cheaper than a TASER, too.

                        This talk about going to jail, etc. I don't agree with, except under certain circumstances. The SCOTUS ruled you have the right to defend yourself with deadly force against deadly force. Most states, mine included, specifically allow you blast someone who forcibly enters your home.

                        You can get sued for about anything. But you can also get killed by not defending yourself. A TASER is great for walking around (if legal) and is in the same category as pepper spray. Its limitations are far outweigh its advantages in a home-invasion situation.
                        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          New York gives the absolute right to use deadly physical force in defense of a dwelling.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gene L View Post
                            A TASER is NOT a home defense weapon. First, it's usable only against one person, and typically, home invasions are more than one. Second, the range is limited to around 15-20 feet. And third, a TASER is not an answer to a lethal force situation.

                            A shotgun, which shouldn't be hard to obtain even on the Left Coast is an ideal HD weapon. Cheaper than a TASER, too.

                            This talk about going to jail, etc. I don't agree with, except under certain circumstances. The SCOTUS ruled you have the right to defend yourself with deadly force against deadly force. Most states, mine included, specifically allow you blast someone who forcibly enters your home.

                            You can get sued for about anything. But you can also get killed by not defending yourself. A TASER is great for walking around (if legal) and is in the same category as pepper spray. Its limitations are far outweigh its advantages in a home-invasion situation.

                            LOL @ SCOTUS. I've never seen that before. I like it.

                            Also, for whoever was apparently wondering, shotguns will scare the sh-t out of people too when you rack a round. Perfect for defense. They're great for indoors for two reasons as I see. 1) You don't have to aim so well so in dark/low light situtations you can just blast if you know a stranger is in the house (in home defense). Also, here you could insert that a lot of people don't shoot well when scared. 2) The right kind of ammunition will have a staggering effect on a human body without penetrating the walls of a house if you miss.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              And there a couple of models out there with 18" - 20" barrels, easy to use in a tight hallway.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3552 users online. 190 members and 3362 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X