Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling out of state armed.

Hello all,

I live in the upstate area of SC and I own a Glock model 22 firearm that I keep locked in my glove compartment of my car, loaded with one in the chamber. It is legal here for me to do so. It usually stays there unless I visit the range or for a cleaning. I do not have a ccw, yet.

I will be traveling from here to the lower part of Illinoise next weekend to see my father I havent seen in 5 years. Due to some mechanical issues with my car, I dont know if I would trust it to make it that far. I think it will, but I will be traveling by myself at night and that isnt a chance I am willing to take. So my best friend has offered his new 06 car for me to take the trip. I have accepted and also want to secure my firearm in his car for the trip, as I do in my own personal vehicle.

Now to my question(s). Traveling across the states north through NC, TN, KY into IL, in the highly unlikely event I were to be pulled over. Are other states reciprocal to my own state laws? Also, because the car does not belong to me, would I (or him) face liabilities for me having a firearm secured in his vehicle?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

720 ILCS 5/24‑1.6

Sec. 24‑1.6. Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
    (a) A person commits the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon when he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries on or about his or her person or in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person except when on his or her land or in his or her abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm;

(d) Sentence. Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon is a Class 4 felony

In Illinois (no "e"), you will be arrested, the car will be towed, possibly seized, and very difficult to get back. You'll need proof of ownership, which means your buddy has to come to Illinois and get the car.

Bottom line, Cops couldn't even take their gun into all states until recently. Don't bring it here.

Edit: More of the statute here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...2000050K24-1.6
    Last edited by pf217; 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM.
    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Ouch!

IL does not appear to be a huge fan of the 2nd Ammendment. That's sad.

Not sure how a firearm locked into a glove compartment can be aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. But, that is a completely different discussion.

In the event of a bad guy attacking me I guess I can make scary faces, fart alot, or negotiate with them the contents of my wallet.

Thanks for the info pf217 - Interesting read.

Comment

You'd be alright in Kentucky if you had a CCW, as they accept other state's permits. Without a CCW you can't carry concealed in Kentucky.

Check www.packing.org for various state laws, but you will find without a CCW you are much more limited.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Just don't brandish it or talk about it and nobody will know about it. Relax. I would never bother a traveler with a piece and I know of few cops who would.

Why be a victim - legal schmegal. Protect youself.
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
            Just don't brandish it or talk about it and nobody will know about it. Relax. I would never bother a traveler with a piece and I know of few cops who would.

I agree. I've only taken one gun from an out of stater. She kept moving it around while getting the registration so I asked if she planned on telling me that she had a gun. She said, "you see it don't ya?" That gun is now living life as a box of paper clips! Now if she would have handled it better it wouldn't have been an issue. Just know that you CAN get in big trouble. I'd put the unloaded gun in the trunk and keep the mag in your glove box when in a state like IL.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              You'd be alright in Kentucky if you had a CCW, as they accept other state's permits. Without a CCW you can't carry concealed in Kentucky.

Check www.packing.org for various state laws, but you will find without a CCW you are much more limited.
              Acctually you would be okay in Ky without the CCW as long as the firearm stayed in the glove box or if the firearm is in plain sight. In Ky the glove box is not considered to be concealed. This does NOT apply to the center console. Just be sure that if you get stopped you notify the officer that there is a weapon in the vehicle and where it is PRIOR to reaching anywhere, then follow the officers instructions. Failure to do so may result in an unpleasant experience.
              Last edited by lexcoptk; 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bushum
                I agree. I've only taken one gun from an out of stater. She kept moving it around while getting the registration so I asked if she planned on telling me that she had a gun. She said, "you see it don't ya?" That gun is now living life as a box of paper clips! Now if she would have handled it better it wouldn't have been an issue. Just know that you CAN get in big trouble. I'd put the unloaded gun in the trunk and keep the mag in your glove box when in a state like IL.
                The two responses you both provided was my initial opinion, after all it is called concealed for a reason. However, driving his car is a risk I may not want to take. It would not be fair to him (he knows) in the event of unfortunate circumstances. I may take my own ride, after all.

Thanks Cruiser, I completely forgot about that site.

lexcoptk, glove box not considered concealed in Ky, got it. Thanks.

Trooper and bushum. No ill regard intended to others out there, but If I were to be pulled, I hope it would be by one of you guys.

Comment

Are you saying that you wouldn't bother a LEO traveler or anyone in particular?

Comment

I think your first issue is that you need a concealed carry permit from somewhere! I'm afraid that if you don't have any concealed carry license at all, you aren't likely to find that many/any of your proposed states will let you transport a firearm in the passenger compartment of your vehicle.

Then you can look up reciprocity issues here:
                    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

[CAUTION: ALWAYS verify this info with the state's official websites. CYA to avoid mistakes that could land you in jail.]

As already stated, IL doesn't allow civilians to carry concealed.

Then check the following for where you can't carry or how you can carry legally:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ [Again, VERIFY with official sources.]

Each state has their own laws as to HOW one can carry a firearm in a vehicle legally (if at all). So, again you must check to see that what you are doing is compliant.

Just as common sense, when I was working the streets, if I stopped someone and saw a gun in their glove-box as they reached for their registration (e.g. they didn't tell me first before opening the glove-box), I would NOT be happy and the driver wouldn't be either after our encounter. [I say this regardless of the fact that in MA it is illegal to drive with a gun in the glove compartment.]

Wrt to LEOs, a federal law was passed a few years ago that allows LEOs from any jurisdiction within the US to carry in any state/territory of the US. [This is the condensed version of the law.]

Comment

Originally posted by Jat1668 View Post
                      Are you saying that you wouldn't bother a LEO traveler or anyone in particular?
                      No one would be hassled, provided they didn't try to shoot me with it. Then, all bets are off. And they die.
                      Next?
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

You are asking for trouble in MD given the circumstances you posted.
                        John 3:16

Comment

I think things are a little different up here. But then again, I'm only 30 miles south of Chicago. I'm guessing he's going to somewhere near Carbondale where it's more like the southern states.

The problem is that everyone lies to the Police. So who's to say this guy is just a Joe Schmoe looking to protect himself? My Dept has gotten more guns in 5 months than we did all of last year. It's huntin' season for us. We don't mess around with the gats.

Wasn't Schmegal the gremlin guy in Lord of the Rings?
                          "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
                            Hello all,

I live in the upstate area of SC and I own a Glock model 22 firearm that I keep locked in my glove compartment of my car, loaded with one in the chamber. It is legal here for me to do so. It usually stays there unless I visit the range or for a cleaning. I do not have a ccw, yet.

I will be traveling from here to the lower part of Illinoise next weekend to see my father I havent seen in 5 years. Due to some mechanical issues with my car, I dont know if I would trust it to make it that far. I think it will, but I will be traveling by myself at night and that isnt a chance I am willing to take. So my best friend has offered his new 06 car for me to take the trip. I have accepted and also want to secure my firearm in his car for the trip, as I do in my own personal vehicle.

Now to my question(s). Traveling across the states north through NC, TN, KY into IL, in the highly unlikely event I were to be pulled over. Are other states reciprocal to my own state laws? Also, because the car does not belong to me, would I (or him) face liabilities for me having a firearm secured in his vehicle?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

There's a federal law that protects the transportation of a legal firearm across state lines from one state to another if the firearm can be legally owned at both the origin and destination. I think you have to unload and encase the firearm and put it in the trunk (but only in those states where gun laws are restrictive). Unfortunately, I don't have the name or citation of the law in my memory, but I'm sure you can Google it. You can probably also call the NRA on their toll free number, and get advice or a referral, or call the BATFE and talk to an agent.

I agree with other LEO's in that I personally have stopped armed out of staters for traffic infractions and did not make an issue out of the fact that they were armed. I always appreciated it if they informed me up front that they were traveling armed. (Of course, I would do so myself even if I weren't an LEO).

I wish every state allowed law-abiding citizens to take responsibility for their own personal safety. Unfortunately, restrictive gun laws benefit the criminal, and not law abiding citizens.
                            Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Again, thanks for all of the info. It has been very helpful.

It seems like IL would be the only place I would get any serious grief, unfortunately. I wont be able to go for my ccw until next month, I have to drive to a completely different county to take the test.

I-ma, thanks for those links, I will read and verify any info that applies to me.

Originally posted by redbird07
                              You are asking for trouble in MD given the circumstances you posted.
                              The only thing I am asking is to protect myself as many here do, nothing more, nothing less. Fortunately I will not be passing through MD.

pf217, yep I will be visiting just outside of Carbondale.

woofdog thanks for that info as well. That is an angle I have not considered, as well as the call to the NRA and BATFE. I will follow up with both.

Finally, of course I would notify any officer that I was carrying a firearm, to not do so would be foolish.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10822 users online. 558 members and 10264 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X