Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to know the identity of a suspect

Hello, I got a question I need an answer to,

So this question is related to something that I went through during a roleplay session ( in a video game where you roleplay with other players, and I was a California Highway Trooper ), so yeah this is not a normal question so free feel to not answer this,

This is what happened,

I arrested a subject for what I recall was a reckless driving charge, I've asked the subject for his full name and he refused, and when I patted him down earlier he had no ID, Driver's license, or anything that gives me his name, I started heading back to the station and I asked him again on the way there, with no results I get back to the station and I get his fingerprints and again he has no trace ( he was not on our criminal database ) so in true roleplay fashion I simply put him in jail without even knowing his name.

So the question is how do you found who someone is if
    1. They fail to provide ID
    2. Have no ID or any way of knowing who they are on them or in their vehicle
    3. Are not in your criminal database.
    Thank you so much for reading and here is a random CHP picture from the game I'm talking about.
    external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
    Last edited by BillJFreeman; 04-03-2021, 08:36 AM.

. Where's the fun if we give you the answers?. If you are gonna ask real cops what they would do then it's like using a cheat code on a video game. but I'll give you a hint anyway. The car is registered to someone. Start there.

Comment

• BillJFreeman
      BillJFreeman commented
      Editing a comment
      True, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and yeah that makes a ton of sense, I guess I overlooked it, Thank you very much.

In the game, you should have surrounded the suspect and beat him, just like real life: click alt#thumb^^> for that option.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• BillJFreeman
      BillJFreeman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, well I can but I won't keep my ( roleplay ) job for long will I?

Ran into this situation a couple of times in the NY court system. When an arrested person could not or would not present verifiable ID he would be remanded as a John Doe until he realized the error of his ways. Usually took less than a week.

Comment

I agree with triple c. skip the formalities and go straight to the beatings.

Comment

In all seriousness, I worked in a county with a high percentage of sovereigns. Every once in a while we would get one like this. Most had been arrested before, and thus had fingerprints on file, but they still had to acknowledge they were that person... and sometimes wouldn’t.

...and sometimes they wouldn’t cooperate with fingerprinting in the first place.

So, they weren’t booked in until they did. They would sit in holding... sometimes for weeks... until they gave the administrative information required for booking and arraignment. A neighboring county held a guy for nine months like that.

When it gets to be more than 72 hours we would notify the DA and the court. The county judge would come to the jail once a day to check on the subject... which covered everybody’s backside since the subject couldn’t claim we were holding him illegally... and they sat there until they cooperated.

...but in the real world, getting somebody with NO previous contact with the CJ system who still has the stones to outright refuse to cooperate is pretty rare. Most first timers shat themselves walking thru door 101...

...and a lot of people who haven’t been in the system still have been finger printed.

...and figuring somebody out often can be done based on the car they were driving, or the address where they were arrested or something like that.

Getting somebody that you have absolutely no clue who they are after a little work is rare.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-03-2021, 03:28 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Most of the time I would tell them that I was gonna voucher their personal property under John Doe and see if they can get their s**t from the property clerk when they get out. Even guys with crappy flip phones gave it up after that.

Comment

• BillJFreeman
            BillJFreeman commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, that's pretty jokes ( pretty funny if you didn't understand that ).

• CCCSD
            CCCSD commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s pretty sad that you can’t even speak English.

In my career (20+ years), I've had many, many people who didn't want to ID themselves. Most commonly, they gave false information, which we quickly realize is fake. In 99% of the cases, they 'fess up once they're placed in handcuffs and they realize we have no problem taking them to jail without a positive ID.

For those rare few that stick it out, the jail deputies have lots of experience in ID'ing those that refuse. And, if it comes down to it, the person can be booked temporarily as a John/Jane Doe.

There is 1 incident I recall where no one was able to get a positive ID and the person was released. But I don't think I'm going to share the particulars of that on a public forum. What I will say is that the offense was minor and the person's explanation of why we couldn't identify them had some validity.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
            In my career (20+ years), I've had many, many people who didn't want to ID themselves. Most commonly, they gave false information, which we quickly realize is fake. In 99% of the cases, they 'fess up once they're placed in handcuffs and they realize we have no problem taking them to jail without a positive ID.

For those rare few that stick it out, the jail deputies have lots of experience in ID'ing those that refuse. And, if it comes down to it, the person can be booked temporarily as a John/Jane Doe.

There is 1 incident I recall where no one was able to get a positive ID and the person was released. But I don't think I'm going to share the particulars of that on a public forum. What I will say is that the offense was minor and the person's explanation of why we couldn't identify them had some validity.
            Biden?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

In over 15 years I haven't met the bondsman who will sign a bond for "John Doe"

Comment

Originally posted by DD312 View Post
                In over 15 years I haven't met the bondsman who will sign a bond for "John Doe"
                Our jail won't officially book someone in who is unidentified, and they cannot be bonded out until they're processed in, so they sit in limbo until being positively identified.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I stopped this guy one night on a graveyard shift, and I ended up citing him and impounding his vehicle. Before the wrecker arrived, I advised him that I could transport him, his woman and their kid to their residence, but he refused. I thought that was strange, and as he started walking away, he took off his shirt. I noticed he had a tattoo on his body which of course was different than the name he had verbally identified himself as. This happened back in the '90s so I don't remember now why I didn't detain him. I ran him with that last different name or I went to the station to do more research, but it turned out he was wanted for felony warrants. I worked up a warrant for felony fail to id, got it signed by a judge and went to his apartment. His woman wouldn't let me in and blocked me at the door saying that he was sleeping. I pushed past her and arrested the guy for my warrant and the other warrants.

After booking him, I told my sergeant about the guy's woman hindering me and that I'd like to arrest her for felony hindering. I was surprised he said yes because the apartment was several miles in another jurisdiction. I worked up the warrant, got it signed by a judge and went to her apartment. I threatened her with taking her child away since she told me she didn't have anyone to turn her child over to, but she finally came around. After turning the child over, off to jail she went.

A long story, but the whole thing was that you never know how you may make someone. I remember a guy with an out of state DL had something that just didn't match up between what his DL said and what he said. It was a plausible explanation, but I pushed further. I finally found out he was a fugitive from justice from another state so to jail he went.

Most officers don't want to put out details, and I'm one of them. I have other stories related to failure to ID, but again, I don't want to reveal the tricks of the trade.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5948 users online. 347 members and 5601 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X