Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus
    replied
    The more I look into this, the more it looks like something I may want to do soon. What is sort of the "standard" pathway into Airborne? Do you have to be normal Infantry first?

Leave a comment:

• Columbus
    replied
    -----edit-----
    Last edited by Columbus; 06-29-2007, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    <<<<<<<<

Started as 11Hotel, then 11 Mike, then 11 Bravo. The infantry is the Swiss Army knife of the Army.

Don't BS around, do it while youre young.

Oh and the 18 is something you dont really need to concern yourself with. It's a whole differant animal.

Leave a comment:

• VACOP1
    replied
    11 Hotel for 2 years. 11B for 9 years then went MP

Leave a comment:

• TX_DTO_77
    replied
    Originally posted by centralTMC View Post
    Who here was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army before joining LE? I'm still looking over my military options. This is attractive to me because, as I understand, I can enlist for a period of only 2-3 years. Not that it's bad to stay for longer, I personally just don't want to make a career out of it. So any advice, comments, insight, anything from former Infantry?
    Option 1) Join the Marine Corps! SEMPER FI!

Infantry rocks, in any branch, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Tikidaddy
    replied
    11B 3yrs active 3yrs NG with 6more still 11B (STRYKER!!!) and loving it...and yes it helped me bigtime, first dept hired me for my military experience. That being said, the military especially combat MOS's aren't for everybody. I see alot of young guys on here asking the same question and if your only joining to bolster your resume your doing it for the wrong reason!!

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
    I did exactly this and it certianly helped my resume. Also helped me as an individual. 3 yrs infantry.
    Ditto for me- glad it's over but wouldn't take anything for the experience. It gave me confidence. My oldest son (21 years old) is following in dads footsteps. 11C serving in Korea and just reenlisted for six years.( He's a slow learner )

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    Originally posted by JonMcD1980 View Post
    Assuming it is still the same when I enlisted, any commitment to the military is 8 years. I signed up for 3 years Active Duty. Then I had 5 years on the Inactive Ready Reserves . You don't drill or anything like that, but in that 5 year time, you can be called back up to active duty. 2 yr enlistment plus 6 yrs IRR, 3&5, 4&4, 6&2....make sense?
    Yeah, it makes sense, but it's unacceptable. I couldn't commit to anything for eight years, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Gene L
    replied
    Who here was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army before joining LE? I'm still looking over my military options. This is attractive to me because, as I understand, I can enlist for a period of only 2-3 years. Not that it's bad to stay for longer, I personally just don't want to make a career out of it. So any advice, comments, insight, anything from former Infantry?

The Infantry is the only way to go. I was commissioned as an Infantry officer in 1967 and stayed in the army six years.

Any service will help you. The Infantry is not at all like police work, but it does build character and allows you to go places and learn a lot.

Leave a comment:

• blackandgold978
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Blackandgold: I'll definately look into that Airborne Infantry. I know to get an edge I'll need a lot for a resume, and good experience. I want to go to college for 4 years and get my degree first, and then probably go military for a while. Would 25 be a good age to apply? I hope that with a degree and a military background, applying at 25 would still be good.
    Certainly, 25 is a good age to apply. (I was 26 when I first started as a C.O., and 28 as a deputy.) Clear up until your mid-thirties is still a good age to apply. After that, things might start to get a bit more difficult. For example, the feds cut you off at age 37, if I'm not mistaken. The Ohio highway patrol will cut you off after your mid thirties. Departments like their officers young, but there is a recent trend among some toward older, more experienced types. Check out the front page of O.Com to get more info about what I'm talking about.

A degree and military experience would make you a very well-rounded candidate. Remember what I told you about the current Ohio job market.....I don't think that will change within a few years. STAY FLEXIBLE, and be willing to relocate to where the jobs are.

Leave a comment:

• centralTMC
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Blackandgold: I'll definately look into that Airborne Infantry. I know to get an edge I'll need a lot for a resume, and good experience. I want to go to college for 4 years and get my degree first, and then probably go military for a while. Would 25 be a good age to apply? I hope that with a degree and a military background, applying at 25 would still be good.

Leave a comment:

• grog18b
    replied
    I hang out over on SOCNET too if you get bored Airborne!

Leave a comment:

• JonMcD1980
    replied
    Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    I was looking at an ROTC scholarship for college. I was told I'd incur four years if I took it, and I didn't mind four years. Secretly, however, (or I just wasn't informed) I'd also incur a minimum of four years reserve duty. How can an 18 year old commit to something for eight years? I wouldn't commit to that now. I looked again into ROTC jointly with a master's program, but even after only two years of school I would have endured the same so I quickly put the military out of my mind.
    Assuming it is still the same when I enlisted, any commitment to the military is 8 years. I signed up for 3 years Active Duty. Then I had 5 years on the Inactive Ready Reserves . You don't drill or anything like that, but in that 5 year time, you can be called back up to active duty. 2 yr enlistment plus 6 yrs IRR, 3&5, 4&4, 6&2....make sense?

Leave a comment:

• Cypher69
    replied
    11B here National Guard

Leave a comment:

• blackandgold978
    replied
    I might be able to give you some insight....

Central TMC-

Not only was I an 11 Bravo (Army Light Infantry) for 8 years, I am also a LEO from your neck of the woods. Plus, I'm in the Ohio Air National Guard, so I can offer you some insight if you like. It's been a while since I've been on the site, although I occassionally lurk.

That said, if you are a young man (18-20), I reccommend that you go for a 3 or 4 year contract. You will still be in good condition AND young......thus, more appealing to many LE agencies. (If you are single, this will give you a bit more flexibility in your job search when the time comes.) If you are dead-set on going infantry, I suggest that you insist on Airborne being in your enlistment contract before you raise your right hand at MEPS. Don't let your recruiter B.S. you on schools, bonuses and perks- They often have more flexibility than they admit.

I also strongly reccommend you get into decent shape before you arrive at Ft. Benning, which is where you will spend your basic and AIT. If you're a greasy slob, you'll be behind the power-curve when you arrive.

On a final note, remember: Military experience gives you an edge on the competition, but it certainly is no guarentee when you leave the service and try to become a LEO. The Ohio LE job market is TERRIBLE at this time. Why? There are far too many qualified applicants and not enough job openings.....I'm talking applicants who have military, OPOTA certification, AND a college degree. I suggest that you look at agencies both inside AND outside of Ohio if you are striving to be a LEO when your time comes.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3582 users online. 219 members and 3363 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X