300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Infantry

Who here was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army before joining LE? I'm still looking over my military options. This is attractive to me because, as I understand, I can enlist for a period of only 2-3 years. Not that it's bad to stay for longer, I personally just don't want to make a career out of it. So any advice, comments, insight, anything from former Infantry?
    Last edited by centralTMC; 06-08-2007, 12:38 PM.

It's on my resume.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Is that what 18B is, some sort of rank?

Comment

11B is a MOS (Military occupational Specialty) It is an infantry designator.
        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by centralTMC View Post
          Who here was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army before joining LE? I'm still looking over my military options. This is attractive to me because, as I understand, I can enlist for a period of only 2-3 years. Not that it's bad to stay for longer, I personally just don't want to make a career out of it. So any advice, comments, insight, anything from former Infantry?
          I did exactly this and it certianly helped my resume. Also helped me as an individual. 3 yrs infantry.
          Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I was a Combat Engineer, 12B. Back in the day you could sign up for 2 years and 17 weeks active with 2 years reserve afterwards. I ended up doing two entlistments active.

Infantry is great, but I liked playing with explosives.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

11 C-mortar man "High angle hell...Death and destruction from above...hoorah

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                I was a Combat Engineer, 12B. Back in the day you could sign up for 2 years and 17 weeks active with 2 years reserve afterwards. I ended up doing two entlistments active.

Infantry is great, but I liked playing with explosives.
                We got to blow things up too.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I was looking at an ROTC scholarship for college. I was told I'd incur four years if I took it, and I didn't mind four years. Secretly, however, (or I just wasn't informed) I'd also incur a minimum of four years reserve duty. How can an 18 year old commit to something for eight years? I wouldn't commit to that now. I looked again into ROTC jointly with a master's program, but even after only two years of school I would have endured the same so I quickly put the military out of my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by grog18b View Post
                    11B is a MOS (Military occupational Specialty) It is an infantry designator.

Gotta go 11b1p, Airborne Infantry or your just another leg, lol.

This is not meant for grog18b because I know what the 18 is.

I'm getting out in 2 months, and applying to a few places.

Comment

31B/95B got me my job

Comment

11B B4

Good times

Comment

I might be able to give you some insight....

Central TMC-

Not only was I an 11 Bravo (Army Light Infantry) for 8 years, I am also a LEO from your neck of the woods. Plus, I'm in the Ohio Air National Guard, so I can offer you some insight if you like. It's been a while since I've been on the site, although I occassionally lurk.

That said, if you are a young man (18-20), I reccommend that you go for a 3 or 4 year contract. You will still be in good condition AND young......thus, more appealing to many LE agencies. (If you are single, this will give you a bit more flexibility in your job search when the time comes.) If you are dead-set on going infantry, I suggest that you insist on Airborne being in your enlistment contract before you raise your right hand at MEPS. Don't let your recruiter B.S. you on schools, bonuses and perks- They often have more flexibility than they admit.

I also strongly reccommend you get into decent shape before you arrive at Ft. Benning, which is where you will spend your basic and AIT. If you're a greasy slob, you'll be behind the power-curve when you arrive.

On a final note, remember: Military experience gives you an edge on the competition, but it certainly is no guarentee when you leave the service and try to become a LEO. The Ohio LE job market is TERRIBLE at this time. Why? There are far too many qualified applicants and not enough job openings.....I'm talking applicants who have military, OPOTA certification, AND a college degree. I suggest that you look at agencies both inside AND outside of Ohio if you are striving to be a LEO when your time comes.

Comment

11B here National Guard

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                              I was looking at an ROTC scholarship for college. I was told I'd incur four years if I took it, and I didn't mind four years. Secretly, however, (or I just wasn't informed) I'd also incur a minimum of four years reserve duty. How can an 18 year old commit to something for eight years? I wouldn't commit to that now. I looked again into ROTC jointly with a master's program, but even after only two years of school I would have endured the same so I quickly put the military out of my mind.
                              Assuming it is still the same when I enlisted, any commitment to the military is 8 years. I signed up for 3 years Active Duty. Then I had 5 years on the Inactive Ready Reserves . You don't drill or anything like that, but in that 5 year time, you can be called back up to active duty. 2 yr enlistment plus 6 yrs IRR, 3&5, 4&4, 6&2....make sense?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4438 users online. 244 members and 4194 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X