300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time?

I'm just curious, what is the longest duration of time that you had to wait to hear back from a department?

Originally posted by sabrinadungan17 View Post
    I'm just curious, what is the longest duration of time that you had to wait to hear back from a department?
    There are several I have NEVER heard back from
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
      sabrinadungan17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, thanks! Just making sure.

In what regards? Application to first contact, from test to interview, etc., etc.?

Comment

It was after the interview, and they said that they liked me for the job. I was upfront about two tickets a long time ago (1. expired tabs 2. speeding), and they were okay with that. Covid hit hard again for the second time, so they were not going to have people riding together--as this was a reserve position--and they were not going to have a lot of work for reserves. I sent them an email anyway to ask if that was the reason why, but I never heard back.

I feel that I sent the email at a funny time, so I am assuming that it got buried. It did take them awhile to get back to me when I dropped of the application, and the chief apologized for his lateness. I am guessing that it could be another possibility that maybe he just became too busy again? It is a smaller department, but it seems that they still are bombarded with other things maybe.

Comment

Write a letter to the person in charge of Reserves. Not an email, a letter.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Okay good thinking. What about an in-person follow-up? A couple of people suggested this.

Comment

Okay good thinking. What about an in-person follow-up? A couple of people suggested this.
            No. Just, no.

The wheels of hiring grind slowly and are frequently pushed to the back burner by the priorities of day-to-day police work. You don't know what's going on...if they're under a hiring freeze, no positions are currently available, the process is ongoing, or maybe they simply don't want to talk to you.

Don't drop in for an uninvited visit to bug them about the hiring process. You already said that it seems that they are busy with other things and that they're a small department. That means that hiring is almost certainly an additional duty on top of the normal LE work they're doing. They do not need to burn even more time easing the jitters of a reserve applicant. They will get with you when they get with you (or maybe they won't...some places are like that). Don't pester them. Apply to other departments instead of putting all your eggs in one basket and then sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Bad idea. Send a letter, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrinadungan17
                Covid hit hard again for the second time, so they were not going to have people riding together--as this was a reserve position--and they were not going to have a lot of work for reserves. I sent them an email anyway to ask if that was the reason why, but I never heard back.
                Let me get this straight: They informed you that they were not hiring reserves due to Covid-related precautions and limitations. That explanation was somehow unsatisfactory to you so you emailed them for confirmation that that was the reason they haven't hired you? And now you want to march in there and demand an explanation why you haven't heard back from them?

You sound entitled and high maintenance. NOT exactly qualities that most departments are looking for in an applicant.

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
                  Editing a comment
                  That is absolutely the furthest thing from the truth. I ASSUMED that was the reason why they decided not to contact me. No one ever told me that was the reason why.

My old firefighter buddy suggested that I stop in person, and so did my father who was a Police Officer. I was told by people I know (who actually KNOW people in the department) that I should stop in. I was unsure, so I decided to ask all of the friendly officers on this site.

Thank, have a nice day.

• not.in.MY.town
                  not.in.MY.town commented
                  Editing a comment
                  sabrinadungan17 The way your post was written, it was presented as information/fact, not as an assumption on your part.

The consensus among officers here appears to be that inquiring in person is not a good idea. HOWEVER, we can only go by our OWN experiences and agencies that WE are familiar with. Since you know people locally who have personal knowledge of the department in question, then they are a much better resource for you.

• sabrinadungan17
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. Yeah, I was reluctant to go in too, but everyone else was urging me to go in. A sister agency had those rules so I guessed that was what was going on. After re-reading my post, I do realize that I sounded like I was certain. I think I was just in a hurry to write the post--I should proof read next time.

Dude, I have not ever heard from far more departments that I ever heard back from.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6208 users online. 352 members and 5856 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X