Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity Theft

Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if this isn't the right place for it.

A few weeks ago, my identity was stolen. I have since reported it to the local police department, the FTC, and the FBI. I'm curious how much evidence the local police need to move in on the identity thieves?

I have:
    • Their physical address
    • Their phone numbers
    • Their email addresses.

Despite me trying all that I can, I don't have their names. The successfully opened several loans in my name, but they haven't succeeded in getting anything because I have frozen my credit and canceled their loans. Is this enough for the police to make an arrest?

Any other tips to find the names of the people who did this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Warmweather View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if this isn't the right place for it.

A few weeks ago, my identity was stolen. I have since reported it to the local police department, the FTC, and the FBI. I'm curious how much evidence the local police need to move in on the identity thieves?

I have:
    • Their physical address
    • Their phone numbers
    • Their email addresses.

Despite me trying all that I can, I don't have their names. The successfully opened several loans in my name, but they haven't succeeded in getting anything because I have frozen my credit and canceled their loans. Is this enough for the police to make an arrest?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    How was your identity stolen?

How did you get the offender's physical address, phone numbers, and email addresses?

Comment

Is this enough for the police to make an arrest?

What did the local police department tell you when you made the report? Have they/you followed up?

They'd be a much better resource for you than a bunch of random cops online who don't know the details of your case.

Comment

Yep, without knowing details it’s tough to give advice.

ID theft by itself can be tough to prosecute, and any money stolen makes the bank or whoever the victim of the theft not you.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-01-2021, 09:21 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thanks for the responses thus far, it's appreciated.

To my knowledge, they didn't hack my computer. It all started when my bank froze my account (they hold my mortgage too). I believe they got in my mailbox. They said someone called in with all of my mortgage info and my SSN. They have gotten into several of my cc accounts calling in as me and changing my address to theirs, and replacing the phone number's with theirs. On every loan they apply for as me, they change it to the same address.

This address is a 3-plex in the same city I live in. They don't always put the same apartment number on the address.

As far as the local police, they didn't seem that interested. I filed the report, and last I spoke with them, they said there's not much they can do. I'm detailing everything.

Short of letting them take tons of money in my name, I'm not sure what constitutes action? I really want this to stop, and the thieves being caught would be nice as well.
          Last edited by Warmweather; 03-01-2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I have:
            • Their physical address
            • Their phone numbers
            • Their email addresses.

The easiest way to get the names associated with that address is to do a land records search (at the county clerk's office, registrar or whatever that entity is called where you are) to determine the present owner. However, depending on their system, you may only be able to search records by owner name (which you do not have) rather than address or block and lot).

In that case, you can also search the tax assessor records to determine who pays the taxes on the property (typically the owner). I don't know about Michigan, but they should be public record. Where I'm at, it would be a quick (and free) online search of the county clerk's records and tax assessor records. If you are unable to perform the search online, just call up the office and ask.

Keep in mind that the registered owner of the property may not be the suspect. Especially since it's a 3-plex, it's likely a rental. You could contact the owner and inquire who his/her tenants are. They may or may not cooperate, especially if they are somehow involved or just want to stay out of it.

Also, it's possible that both the owner and the tenants at that address have absolutely nothing to do with the alleged identity theft. The real perp may have just used a random local address that wouldn't raise suspicion with the bank (evidently it still did). They might be in a completely different jurisdiction which would complicate things tremendously, and frankly just isn't worth the effort and resources.

The other problem you have is that the old adage "follow the money" doesn't apply here since no money was ever moved. Nobody benefited from the crime, and since you haven't suffered any actual loss, the police probably don't want to devote any resources to something at the bottom of their priority list (especially if it's a very busy department with much bigger fish to fry).

You may just have to let this one go. And be grateful that no money was stolen.
            Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 03-02-2021, 08:52 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6169 users online. 348 members and 5821 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X