Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdean3006
    commented on 's reply
    Depends on the crime. Most of the time it's UCMJ for sex stuff. I have used AUSA's for drug distro cases, fraud, ect. I've used penal codes for underage sex cases. I've even asked local DAs to prosecute a case because JAG wouldn't sniff at it.
    Last edited by jdean3006; 02-25-2021, 12:44 AM.

• CCCSD
    replied
    Are you charging under UCMJ or under local and state statutes?

Leave a comment:

• jdean3006
    replied
    Got the official word from the California POST commission today. Hit me with the, well your training qualifies but because you're military we don't count your experience. Almost felt compelled to ask how investigating a felony committed by a military member is less significant than investigating a felony committed by a civilian.

Oh well, hope my experience helps any future OSI, NCIS, or CID agents glean an answer fast. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by jdean3006; 02-25-2021, 12:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks to Illinois I now feel better about Colorado.

• CoastalCop1811
    commented on 's reply
    I stand correct..just saw a posting for VA 1811 criminal investigator at the GS 9 level with no promotion potential. They also don't compete CITP like the VA OIG 1811s.

• scotty_appleton814
    commented on 's reply
    Don't forget Illinois. Even though they took out a lot of bad things before it became law. Our new "reform" bill makes us just about the worst state to work in.

• CCCSD
    replied
    ++++this++++!

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    CHP pays very well.

Most states even with civilian federal experience you’d have to attend a state academy anyway.

Tgey just don’t want the responsibility of sorting out what is what.... and explaining to THIS military guy why his experience doesn’t count but this other guy does.

You really need to stay federal. In less than five years state and local law enforcement is going to disappear in many states for liability reasons.

In Colorado avoidance of personal lawsuits is now part of case planning.

...and California hadn’t been a good place to be a cop for a while.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-22-2021, 11:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9L81
    commented on 's reply
    The pay for the state investigator positions is awful. Fish and Game, Parks etc you do because that's what you want to do money be damned. CHP and the majority of other city and county gigs pay well enough for the area they are in. As noted CHP is tight to start but eventually officers move to lower cost areas in the state where they will make much more than most locals.

Retiring with a big pension compared to a tiny one is the trade off. I had instructors for an advanced class at FLETC that were retired from well paid, for the state and local area, jobs in middle of the country. They started a second career out of necessity. Most officers from CA can retire when they retire if they put in enough time and especially if they don't plan to stay in the state.

• CCCSD
    replied
    CHP pays very well, and when you transfer to an affordable area, you have buying power. Lots of guys do it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Levithane
    replied
    Better idea: How about you and the wife apply for federal jobs? I can't imagine CHP pay being worth staying in California. Serious, California has a high cost of living and the pay for LE positions especially investigative positions is dreadful (going by the announcements that were posted in the other thread).

Leave a comment:

• CoastalCop1811
    commented on 's reply
    Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure the VA "detectives" are still 083. VA does have 1811s with their OIG.

• CoastalCop1811
    replied
    Originally posted by jdean3006 View Post
    9L81 you're right I am an AD agent. It makes me wonder who came up with the policy for not accepting military experience as we do the exact same job as our civlian 1811 counterparts (even in non MCIO organizations). The civlians even have a military det co or sac most of the time in a regular detachment. As for the CHP wife and movong, we own a home and don't really have any plans on moving.

I don't really mind attending an academy again, I was just probing to see if i could obtain some POST credits through a waver to make me more attractive for a state or local agency.
    Stay on top of USAJOBS for fed gigs in California.

Leave a comment:

• jdean3006
    replied
    9L81 you're right I am an AD agent. It makes me wonder who came up with the policy for not accepting military experience as we do the exact same job as our civlian 1811 counterparts (even in non MCIO organizations). The civlians even have a military det co or sac most of the time in a regular detachment. As for the CHP wife and movong, we own a home and don't really have any plans on moving.

I don't really mind attending an academy again, I was just probing to see if i could obtain some POST credits through a waver to make me more attractive for a state or local agency.

Leave a comment:

• 9L81
    replied
    The pay for those state investigator positions is pretty awful. In general 1811 positions in the state don't pay as well as the locals when located where most of the positions are which is in the metro areas but still pay better than the state jobs. Where is your wife located with CHP? When can she move?

It's very difficult to recruit for Feds in most of CA and 1811 gigs are no different, so that you want to stay and you already have CITP done should be a big plus for you to find another gig in CA. I assume by your running into "military" issues with your training being accepted you are an AD agent and not a civilian agent but even if a civilian it wouldn't surprise me that they would look at it as military experience.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5084 users online. 312 members and 4772 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X