300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height & Weight

Let's say you see a suspicious person. They've noticed you and you get that feeling that they're about to run. You start to approach and they take off, you lose sight but continue foot pursuit (let's just assume you're on foot patrol). You call in for b/u and give description of the perp; how do you estimate height and weight from 10+ feet. I mean, if you're close it's easier for height, but weight esp.
    Thanks!

I don't. I give out a height description which for me is easy. I don't know if it's because I'm tall for a female or what, but I'm usually right on with the height...for weight, I don't bother...I use sex, then race, the height, then use "slim build" "medium" "muscular"...I don't use "large" because they have never outrun me LOL and follow it up with a clothing description.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Is it true a lot of officers also look at the shoes?
      I read once that a perp will shed their clothing or turn it inside out, but the shoes always stay the same...

Comment

I glance at them, but it doesn't do much good. In the area that I work you can COUNT on this uniform in summer:

Long baggy jean shorts with black shoes and white socks. The shirts (note the plural usage) are going to be white, black, and red. They will have at LEAST two of them on. Everything is uniformed except the hair and maybe an earring...
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I happen to be 5'9", so it's pretty easy - I'm medium height, so compare them to me and I'll get pretty close.
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I think over the years we talk to so many people and compare them to their licenses/id's with their height and weight that it becomes second nature. I can't remember the last time I've been off by much. Usually I nail the height and get within 5-10 lbs. on the weight...
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5815 users online. 364 members and 5451 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X