300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying Expired ID and ID in the trunk

I recently finished a security guard job at a cannabis dispensary in CA. One of my jobs was to scan IDs. I noticed that many of the customers carried more than one ID in their wallets, and I would hear comments like "Oops, gave you the expired one." I'd also see people go to the trunks of their cars to retrieve their IDs. I was under the impression you need to have identification with you and be able to produce it if requested by peace officers. I'm not a cop, but it seems that would be an officer safety issue, wouldn't it?

So:
    1. Why would someone carry around expired ID (If it matters, most of those I encountered were under 30)?
    2. Why would you have your ID in the trunk?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Old Dude View Post
    I recently finished a security guard job at a cannabis dispensary in CA. One of my jobs was to scan IDs. I noticed that many of the customers carried more than one ID in their wallets, and I would hear comments like "Oops, gave you the expired one." I'd also see people go to the trunks of their cars to retrieve their IDs. I was under the impression you need to have identification with you and be able to produce it if requested by peace officers. I'm not a cop, but it seems that would be an officer safety issue, wouldn't it?

So:
    1. Why would someone carry around expired ID (If it matters, most of those I encountered were under 30)?

Thanks.
    ...because they're $#itbird dopers...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

...because they're $#itbird dopers...
      Yep.

Comment

So:
        ...because they are driving suspended or revoked.

If they get pulled over they tell the cop they lost their current license, he confiscates the expired and gives them a proof of service and summons for driving under restraint... and they go on their merry way with a license still valid on its face to use at the dispensary or liquor store.

Worst case, if they get arrested for driving under restraint or warrant or whatever, the “valid” license is still in their trunk for when they bond out.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-01-2021, 06:44 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'm going to run the license either way. If it's expired they're getting a ticket and they're calling a licensed driver at the minimum. I've also had the expired license return suspended, revoked or those limited permit licenses for work, school etc. They usually only get those type after getting a DUI.

People that keep their license in another bag or the trunk etc are a PIA. Yes I'm always concerned about them using it as a ruse and handle it accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            I'm going to run the license either way.
            Probablt not, unless you can articulate probable cause to search their car including the trunk and everything in it. That’s the whole point...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Probablt not, unless you can articulate probable cause to search their car including the trunk and everything in it. That’s the whole point...
              You don't need probable cause to run a license on someone you have stopped
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Why would you have to search their vehicle? You don't need their physical license to run their name...

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

You don't need probable cause to run a license on someone you have stopped
                  Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Why would you have to search their vehicle? You don't need their physical license to run their name...
                  ...and we say the ****bird dopers are stupid.

Read the thread.

The question is: why does a doper show an expired license from their wallet to the pot shop by mistake, and have their valid license in their trunk.

The answer is: so that when they get pulled over and return suspended or revoked, the officer will confiscate the expired license and not the one in the trunk.

They carry the expired license in their wallet. They keep the "valid" license in their trunk.

When you stop them, you confiscate their expired license... but have no probable cause to search for the "valid" license they "lost". ...and apparently many here have never even considered that they guy you pull over with no license in his possession and returning revoked still has their physical license hidden somewhere.

...so once you turn them loose they still have the license that shows valid on the card itself to use at liquor stores and pot dispensaries.

The whole point of the scam is to keep that valid-appearing license in their possession.

Even when they say they don't have their license with them, and they came back suspended or revoked, chances are they do have it and just don't want you to take it.

I've arrested several who told me they didn't have their license with them, during the search and inventory it was in their wallet. They didn't want me to take it because then they couldn't buy pot.

The smart ones keep it in the trunk, not their wallet, because even if they are arrested you probably won't search the trunk. It's not on their person so it won't be found during a search incident to arrest.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-03-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Read the thread.
                    How about you read the thread or more specifically your own post?

I understand the dirtbags' strategy just fine.

My post was in response to your nonsensical statement to westside popo that he "probably wouldn't run their license unless he had probable cause". You said "RUN" their license, not go search for their physical license. Big difference.

Comment

In Texas, if an officer stops you for something arising out of driving, you are supposed to have your DL with you. If you don't, the officer can cite you for fail to display DL upon demand. If an officer stops and detains you for most anything else, you don't need to show proof of positive identification. You just have to provide your correct name, date of birth and current address verbally, in writing, in sign language, etc.

But yes, the ID/DL in the trunk thingy sounds plausible. For many years, we weren't allowed to arrest for a suspended license, but we were finally able to after a while...until they didn't want us to again. But when we could, we did find other IDs/DLs on their person or in their vehicle when we searched them and the vehicle incident to arrest.

Comment

Read the thread.
                        t.
                        I read the thread.................

Westside (whose post YOU quoted ) stated he would run the license.

You told him he needed probable cause to search for the license.....................which had nothing at all to do with running a license. All you really need to do that is a name and date of birth

HENCE probable cause isn't needed................................you can gaslight all you want but you don't need a physical license to run the record
                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4756 users online. 320 members and 4436 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X