300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliaries/Reserves

I've searched this forum and I've found out a good amount of information relating to auxiliaries, but I still have a few questions about them:

- Does one need to wait until a position is open to apply, or do most agencies have an open enrollment system where anyone may join if they meet the requirements and complete the rest of the process?

- And for my next question, how long would the process typically take to join? I've heard of some where they go through almost as much training as full-time officers and others where you attend a five week training course and start almost immediately afterwards.

Just some questions I had and feel free to add any other comments about the reserve/auxiliary forces. Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by arbys512; 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: Just a few grammatical changes...

Some, if not all, departments will have some type of officer that is in charge of the reserve/auxiliary units. Contact them and inquire about their process. I started out with my departments reserve unit before being hired full time.
    GOOD LUCK!
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

There is no single answer to this at all. It will vary from town/department to department.

My experiences are strictly in MA, so that is all that I can really address.

Under MGLs, Auxiliaries fall under the Civil Defense organization in each town. No state required training (MPTC as it is known here, POST in most of the US), so it will likely be "in house" training of some sort (or maybe even no training at all). They do not have powers of arrest, usually aren't armed, etc.

Lots of MA towns have Special Police, which per MGLs are actually "Reserve/Intermittent" (R/I) Officers. They are required to attend/graduate the MPTC R/I Police Academy (120 hrs as I recall) before they can work the street. Most towns qualify them wrt firearms/first aid/CPR the same as their FT POs. MGLs make no distinctions on powers between R/I and FT POs, however your local chief can restrict your powers by policy or in your warrant (your appointment papers). R/I Officers duties varies greatly by community. When I was appointed, we worked with FT POs, with other R/I POs, paid details and paid shifts if the chief had faith in your abilities. We were required to volunteer lots of hours at in-house training (1 night/month), road races, holidays, town meetings, other town functions . . . all these were unpaid. R/I Officers fall under the police chief . . . he usually appoints someone to run the R/I group, but when you are working you take your orders from the police chief or any of his FT POs!

Some towns kept a maximum number and others seemed to appoint people when good folks came forward to volunteer. When I asked my chief what our Special Police did, he asked me to join the department and I was appointed within weeks. Others told me that they were on an alleged waiting list for > 6 months. So, in my 17 years I never did figure out the system here.

Comment

Call your local LE agency.
        That's the only way to get a definative answer to you question.

Most require you to be a resident of that city or county.
        Most require you to be certified.

Some don't have them at all.

Comment

it depends on your city and state and how they do it. im an aux in long beach, ny and once you pass the background check you are on probation for weeks until your sgt on that night feels that you are ready to get a uniform. now all it depends on you because it takes some members forever to get their uniform and get off probation because they dont come out enough. i say the best way is to come out on patrol as often as you can and do alot of the events. in my town (lb) theres always something going on. i got off probation in my month and i've been doing this for 6 years total but one year in long beach, ny. as far as how to join just go to ur local precinct and ask about their aux unit

Comment

i can speak of CA reserves.. usually they are unpaid but some cities pay.. and most cities are always looking for reserves.. free work. lol

we go through exact same hiring processes as fulltime officers. same tests, background standards, polygraphs, etc...

level 1 (highest level) reserves go through same training as full time officers. (probably like 900+ hours of academy training) some cities/counties sponsore the applicant so they don't have to pay anything...we go through exact same field training program too.. so it's pretty much the same. and most officers like us.. there's also level 2 and level 3, which has less authority and training. level 1's can ride solo and if appointed to level 1D has peace officer powers 24/7.

i'm level 1 with LASD. a good place to be a reserve... lots of different assignments too besides patrol, which is awesome.

i hear of other states where reserves go through like 2 weeks of training.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3389 users online. 213 members and 3176 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X