Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are rejection letters from a Police Department typically generic?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rejection letters from a Police Department typically generic?

I recently applied to a PD to hold a position as a Police Reserve. Tonight I received a rejection letter in the mail stating that they were not going to pursue me as a candidate due to the materials that I had provided, my driving record, and criminal history. I do NOT have a criminal history. Why would I be wasting my money on a degree to become a Police Officer? I have not had a speeding ticket in 5-years. I have one speeding ticket (which I was very upfront about on the application), and prior to that I had received a ticket for expired tabs. I haven't even been pulled over in five years. Since then I have obtained a CPL, participated in several ride-a-longs, and did an internship with my local PD. You are not permitted to participate in any of those activities with a record. I even had my background checked for the volunteer work that I do, and for the fire department that I used to work for. My only explanation is that this letter must be generic. If anyone has the slightest clue of what is going on, I would be delighted to know. Thanks in advanced & Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by sabrinadungan17; 12-24-2020, 05:30 AM.

You need to use paragraphs if you want us to read all that...

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
      sabrinadungan17 commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't realize that I was required to write in APA format.

• sabrinadungan17
      Editing a comment
      He told me that I had an attitude before I posted that. I would have replied to your comment below, but it would not let me. I know that it is unusual for someone my age to be a college student, but I wanted to make sure that I knew what career I wanted to pursue before hand.

At 21, I was pursuing an entirely different career. I am glad that I waited to do this, because I have a better understanding of what Law Enforcement is about.

I selected this program at a Community College, because it includes the police academy. What other type of degree should I pursue? I am thinking of getting just my Associates in CJ.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Sabrina, he saw the same attitude that I did, and we're seeing it from two different perspectives- he is a fairly new officer, that has learned what he has learned from his own mistakes and has become a better officer for it, and I was an FTO (Field Training Officer) training new officers on the road.

IF your attitude has not already torpedoed your law enforcement career by preventing you from being able to pass a background investigation, you would need to lose the attitude in order to pass other aspects of the hiring process, to include the oral board interview, your entire academy, FTO, and the "at will" probationary period once you go solo.

There is no room for attitude- this is is a very humbling process that we're talking about. For example, our recruits were required to instantly stop what they were doing and snap to attention with their backs to the wall whenever encountering ANYONE (other than another recruit) within any of our police stations, greet them with a "Sir" or "Ma'am", and not speak to them unless spoken to, even if it was the developmentally disabled janitor who was incapable of understanding any of it- you'd literally be stuck to the wall until he decided if his own accord, to move on.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as your college degree goes, we still don't know how far through your CJ degree program you are. If you're close to finishing, you might as well just finish. If it's still practical to change it, then change it to something useful.

And going to college isn't going to help you to figure out what you want to do for a living- the world is full of people with masters degrees, who are stocking shelves overnight at the supermarket for minimum wage.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 12-28-2020, 06:46 AM.

Those rejection letters are as generic as a Donald J Trump letter from the Whitehouse.
    If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

-George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by sabrinadungan17 View Post
    I recently applied to a PD to hold a position as a Police Reserve. Tonight I received a rejection letter in the mail stating that they were not going to pursue me as a candidate due to the materials that I had provided, my driving record, and criminal history. I do NOT have a criminal history. Why would I be wasting my money on a degree to become a Police Officer? I have not had a speeding ticket in 5-years. I have one speeding ticket (which I was very upfront about on the application), and prior to that I had received a ticket for expired tabs. I haven't even been pulled over in five years. Since then I have obtained a CPL, participated in several ride-a-longs, and did an internship with my local PD. You are not permitted to participate in any of those activities with a record. I even had my background checked for the volunteer work that I do, and for the fire department that I used to work for. My only explanation is that this letter must be generic. If anyone has the slightest clue of what is going on, I would be delighted to know. Thanks in advanced & Merry Christmas.
    You will receive many rejection letters in your quest to become a police officer. My suggestion is to not give up and keep pursuing your goal.
    US Army Veteran
    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

I could paper my mancave with all the rejection letters I got over the years. Looking back, and knowing what I do now, I thank the Lord above for many of those....

You got rejected for a non-paid position for who knows why. My local PD has a reserve unit and it's basically a club for old fat boys who like to play cop. I doubt they'd take you either, unless your body mass index is 41 and you request the senior discount at diners.

Move on to somewhere else and don't look in the rearview mirror.
    If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

-George S. Patton

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply! Well this was a paid reserve position, and there are other departments that I am more interested in.. I am just concerned about the false information that was given about me.

I asked a few other individuals that I know, and they said that it is possible that my identity could have been used. I am hoping that is not the case.

I plan on speaking with the PD on Monday, as they are closed all weekend. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday!

You might want to tone the attitude down in person.Your post is dripping with signs that you're a pleasure to be around.

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
      Editing a comment
      I don't have an attitude. I am a little concerned that my name could be smeared, or someone could have used my identity. I wanted to reach out to you guys to see what you thought. I didn't think my post sounded rude, I said "delighted to know," because wouldn't you feel unsettled if someone accused you of having a record?

The people I worked with within my local department loved working with me. I wished you all a Merry Christmas at the end of my post.. I'm sorry if I came across edgy, I was just stressed out last night.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Sabrina, the attitude that he is talking about, includes things like your "I didn't realize that I was required to write in APA format." response to the wise counsel I offered you.

Smarting off to a superior officer can and will make you unemployed and unemployable in this profession. We are expected to demonstrate self-control and good judgement at all times.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that that wasn't your first time doing that, and that may explain why you were rejected at the background stage.

I don't know too many 29 year old college students, but I'm gonna offer you a little more in the way of wise counsel: you should change your major if you can. A criminal justice degree is no more useful in law enforcement than any other kind of degree, but it's useless outside of this profession. That means that if you're not able to get hired for whatever reason, that you've spent all that time, effort, and money for nothing.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 12-26-2020, 01:55 PM.

It’ll be ok. If what you’re saying is right, a dept. will pick you up. I’ve been in your shoes.

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I needed to hear this.

I wouldn't doubt you could appeal the decision to the city of the PD. Contact HR to see what the proper route to take.

Comment

Appeal what? They don’t want to hire her, she didn’t meet qualifications.
      THEIR choice...and RIGHT.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• sabrinadungan17
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely, and I understand that they didn't want to hire me. I just wanted to make sure that letter was just generic, and there wasn't some mistake. I was basically over getting hired with them before I received the rejection letter. However, the fact that they indicated that I have a "criminal history" was my main concern. Like I mentioned, I have nothing worse than a speeding ticket from 5 years ago.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Appeal what? They don’t want to hire her, she didn’t meet qualifications.
      THEIR choice...and RIGHT.
      Appeal to dispute or clarify the 'negative(s)' found - to answer your question.

Back in '88, I had applied to a department where I made it pretty far in the process. I finally was told it was the end of the line for me due to having too many employers in a short amount of time. I didn't go through any appeal process, but I did get to go back and explain myself after I got someone's ear who would listen. I was put back into the running after I was able to explain myself. I was eventually offered to job with the department, but I left town when they called me in to finalize everything. (My soon to be wife wasn't happy with her job prospects in Houston at the time so I followed her to her town where I got on with the department I eventually retired from.)

Comment

What negatives? This isn’t a job you are entitled to, it’s a job that entails meeting set standards.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          What negatives? This isn’t a job you are entitled to, it’s a job that entails meeting set standards.
          Just like my example. Instead of asking me why I had 3 employers in a few months, they cut me without even asking. When I was able to explain that I was fresh out of the military and working odd jobs to put me through the academy, they let me back in.

I have no idea what the 'negatives' are for the OP, but it is possible that he/she can explain what away whatever got her/him cut. There isn't any harm in trying.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
            scotty_appleton814 commented
            Editing a comment
            Your story is a lot more common than people think.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6816 users online. 353 members and 6463 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X