• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does HR 218 apply to CO's?

Just curious....

Originally posted by Floridaboy View Post
    Just curious....
    Depends.... Some States classify COs as LEOs....some don't.....

My home State of Missouri does not give LEO status to COs...thus they cannot carry unless they have a State Issued CCW......

Comment

HR 218-Corrections Officers

Just curious....
      Your first reply is 100% correct. In Alabama, for instance, a Corrections Officer recieves what Alabama POST classifies as a Non-Transferable Certificate. It is actually stamped "Corrections Only". In other words, for the Corrections Officer to become, say a Deputy Sheriff, he/she would have to attend and complete, a whole certification Academy once more. Under those conditions, it's questionable whether or not an Alabama Corrections Officer could carry under HR 218. What I would suggest you do is: Check your state statutes to see if Corrections Officers are given status as Peace Officers. Possibly have on of your Department's legal staff research HR 218 to see if you would qualify to carry.

Comment

Once again it depends on the state and what authority the state gives Correction Officers. Here in Arizona its still up for debate on if Correction Officers are LEOs. Most LEOs consider them LEOs. Those killed on duty have been put on the Peace Officer Memorial. I think that alone qaulifies them as LEOs.

Comment

Just curious....
          It says in the bill that you must be a law enforcement officer with the ability to carry a firearm and make arrests. Ok, so it says it more detailed, but I can't remember the wording. Look it up, and you'll find your answer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3527 users online. 154 members and 3373 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X