300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVR's Who Likes? Who Doesn't? Why?

Hello everyone. I am doing some research to find out what you, the officer, like and dislike about In Car Digital Recording Systems. I am not here to sell you anything, I am just looking for some feed back. Maybe other systems that you like, or things you want but aren't available yet. Any and all input is welcome.
    Last edited by Tim Dees; 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: advertising in forum

I've had the pleasure (and, sometimes, displeasure) of using a digital in-car camera. My biggest complaint was, compaired to VHS, the digital systems just seem to be less reliable. We were always dealing with computer glitches and bugs with ours. The VHS systems might not have alot of bells and whistles, but you always knew that they would record when you needed them to. The same couldn't be said on the DVD systems.

As for the good, I'd say my most liked feature was the "pre-recording." Our systems had the feature that, when the camera was activated, the minute or two prior to activation was also recorded. So, if I was following a DUI and he goes left of center, I'd have the initial violation as well as the stop. That feature also gave me a souvenier video of me hitting a deer on duty...
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Pre event recording (with no audio!)
      wireless uploading data to server
      higher resolution video quality
      non-dvd systems since the dvd's have to be cataloged, what a pain

dislikes
      fragile!!!
      our current system has removable drives from the incar cradles. I hate having to take them in and upload them to the server
      cost-- not only initial cost, but repair costs. When our warranty is up, I hate to see how much this system will cost us. we constantly have 1/4 of our dvr's back at the company for repair and are using loaners; what makes it worse is the company calls wanting our loaners back before they fix our original dvrs...

Im sure ill think of some more later, but thats just off the top of my head

Comment

This isn't exactly what you were asking, but the product I would like to see is a personal camera that mounts on my person. I'd love to be able to record the entire call (even inside a house).

Just a though.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
          This isn't exactly what you were asking, but the product I would like to see is a personal camera that mounts on my person. I'd love to be able to record the entire call (even inside a house).

Just a though.

We got them on order! They replace the microphone of the personal radio. Not only good for recording incidents, but great for looking around corners.

It's like a mini-DVD recorder. They're not that expensive, actually. HOw well the stand up to use remains to be seen, but we've got some trial ones on order, or maybe they're already in use. The perp can't see the camera; the screen is on the back side.

And I really like the car cams. Some problems, but a lot more solutions. Got a call from a woman the other day complaining that a deputy had referred to her in mildly sexual terms, "sweetie, honey" etc. She thought she was calling annonymously, but our CAD system records all in-coming phone calls. I reviewed the tape, and the deputy made a picture-perfect stop. I called her back, told her this, and asked her to come down and point out to me exactly where he'd used sexist language.

She mumbled, stumbled, and finally gave up. She was driving 22 mph over, in a 2007 Escalade.
          Last edited by Gene L; 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
            We got them on order! They replace the microphone of the personal radio. Not only good for recording incidents, but great for looking around corners.

It's like a mini-DVD recorder. They're not that expensive, actually. HOw well the stand up to use remains to be seen, but we've got some trial ones on order, or maybe they're already in use. The perp can't see the camera; the screen is on the back side.
            Any idea how much they are? Where do you get them?

Comment

DVRs are a very good thing to have. I think the video clarity could be improved, and also, perhaps an added FLIR capability (if you make money on that idea, I want my cut!).
              As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                Any idea how much they are? Where do you get them?
                They're ordered from a police supply/uniform supply store. I think they're around $200, but that might be high.

Comment

I opened up this thread fully intending to reply with a "Tivo is magic!!" response. What a dope, lol, I didn't even think about patrol car video.

EDJ
                  "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Have had 4 units in my cruiser in 2 years and the current one doesnt work. The digital eyewitness system sucks.
                    John 3:16

Comment

They definitely need to be tougher. I'm not sure technology has reached the point yet where they're flawless, but it's probably safe to say they're improving all the time.

They can sure help make good cases, or identify cop-shooters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4828 users online. 295 members and 4533 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X