300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumbled at the last hurdle

Hi all, I made it all the way to the chiefs final interview with Arapahoe and was feeling great after my interview. A few days later I got the dreaded thanks but no that's email. I know they can't divulge why, but I have a feeling it has to do with my age, (49) . I was heartbroken. Does age play a major factor in the decision making for these positions??

It’s a young mans job, not to say you’re old. I did 40 years total. Thirty in the first, 10 in a second LE Career. Became a detective 9 years in, so although still hitting the streets, no way as intense as being on patrol, in the largest DEPT in the US. Given the political climate these days, I’d re-think my career choice and that’s from someone who LOVED the JOB.

Good luck and if it’s still what you want to do and are looking to relocate, I hear Florida Highway Patrol hires older candidates. An acquaintance was your age and got hired a few years back, so there is hope.
    Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Texas highway patrol also doesn’t have an age limit. Montana highway patrol doesn’t either. Those are all viable options that still allow you the opportunity to join. I would Google search all state agencies and see if they have maximum entry age limits.
      US Army Veteran
      The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanCav1971 View Post
        Hi all, I made it all the way to the chiefs final interview with Arapahoe and was feeling great after my interview. A few days later I got the dreaded thanks but no that's email. I know they can't divulge why, but I have a feeling it has to do with my age, (49) . I was heartbroken. Does age play a major factor in the decision making for these positions??
        Not necessarily on age.

Applicants are usually hired in the order of their test scores - highest first, next highest second. However in my state, we have what's called the Rule of Three, where they can fill a position taking anyone from the highest three test scores, even if that candidate is not the highest test score. They don't have to say why they selected one over the other. It could be because they have a special skill, or because they belong to an underrepresented class or because they go to the same church as the Mayor, or because the Chief thinks they have a spiffy haircut. In my state it's the Rule of Three. Other agencies have a Rule of Five, some have a Rule of 10. Your mileage will vary.

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to go through those reachable candidates and find that special one that looks like they will be the best fit for the department. If three are interviewed but there is only one vacancy, two are going to be disappointed.

In this case, your name should remain on the hiring list and you should be considered for the next vacant position.

Now, the "Rule of" can also be used to pass over someone the Chief doesn't want. If you keep getting rejected after multiple Chief's interviews, then that's a good indicator you are not going to be hired.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I attended the academy at 43. Some departments care about age, some don’t.... and it might be that the chief just didn’t like you.

Send in your next app and drive on.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Just because you meet the minimum requirements for the job it doesn't mean you will get hired

ALL of the testing & interviews just make sure you meet the qualifications...............

Truth is the chief just might not have liked something about you OR liked something about someone else that trumped your skill sets
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-03-2020, 07:44 AM.
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

First off, I'll say I know your pain -- I made it to a chief's interview before and got the no-thank-you as well. It burns. But I didn't give up.

How much age plays a factor in hiring is absolutely dependent on the individual agency.

I was over 50 when I finally did get my first full-time LE job. I turned down 1 other offer, and was on the hiring list at another at that time. My application approach was to significantly exceed all the required physical standards and play up my life experience and maturity in my interviews. Worked for me.

My current department has hired several people who are well into their 40s. But I'll be the first to say our agency is not the most action-oriented place to work. Our brass wants officers that are personable and who make mature decisions; often you get more of that with slightly older candidates.

It sucks to start over. But do your research and you'll find a place that's a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Former12
                I’ll add that my former department although didn’t have an age limit on record, they obviously took that into consideration before hiring. The other two posters make good points but I think the biggest factor imo is the cost/benefit analysis. What happens If you get into a foot pursuit one week after you hit the streets and you end slipping a disc in your back? Then the medical board deems you as not fit for duty and is on the hook for paying you a medical disability payment until the day you die. We all know the older you get the more prone you are to musculoskeletal injuries and you don’t recover as quickly. Not to mention other chronic conditions prevalent in older folks such as heart disease, diabetes, BPH, etc. This is why the FEDS have an age limit. Too many older guys were getting hurt on the job and claiming medical retirement because the stress of the job caused their heart attack. Not the family history and poor lifestyle choices. Can you end up on medical retirement one week into your career at age 25? Of course, but the data shows this is much rarer. Good luck.
                This is the "Ask a Cop" section, and your profile says you're not a cop. If you're not a cop or a retired cop, you have no business responding to other people's threads here...
                Last edited by Aidokea; 12-05-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3948 users online. 247 members and 3701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X