Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here know about/work for a Federal Agency? Secret Service in particular.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here know about/work for a Federal Agency? Secret Service in particular.

Call me crazy but I have always enjoyed the thought of bodyguard and protection work. A dream Law Enforcement job of mine is working in the SS as protection for the President, or working for the DSS(diplomatic security service) as a bodyguard.

I will be going to college and will either major in Criminal Justice or Sociology/Psychology. After that I have no real idea on how to go about working with one of those agencies.

Anyone have any insight or general advice for me to break into this field?

I spoke to a recruiter a few years back at a job fair when I was still in college. As long as you meet the minimum qualifications, pass the written test, background and so forth you'll get in. If I remember the recruiter was interested if I spoke a second language. Here is a link to the Secret Service page regarding recruitment for Special Agents.

http://www.secretservice.gov/opportunities_agent.shtml
    Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

Originally posted by nicknitro View Post
      Call me crazy but I have always enjoyed the thought of bodyguard and protection work. A dream Law Enforcement job of mine is working in the SS as protection for the President, or working for the DSS(diplomatic security service) as a bodyguard.

I will be going to college and will either major in Criminal Justice or Sociology/Psychology. After that I have no real idea on how to go about working with one of those agencies.

Anyone have any insight or general advice for me to break into this field?
      There's an old thread floating around somewhere. You may want to search for it.

USSS (or DSS for that matter) is a great job, especially for single or unattached people. Lots of travel and lots to see. If you're a family person, say goodbye to your family during campaign years because you won't see them much. I missed many a family event as a result - a major reason why I bailed.

On the minus side, don't picture yourself walking along side the president for some time. Some protection posts (espcially for newbies) could be boring (trying standing in an alley, a hallway, or a stairwell for a couple of hours).
      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

The presidential protection detail switches every so often, or so I've heard. Used to be, you had to be a certain height, but I don't know if that's still true or not.

Guarding the White House john is not something I'd look forward to. They also deal with counterfeiting and credit card fraud.

I worked with them on a counterfeiting case. Great bunch of guys.
        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

As an OTA (Other Treasury Agent), I did a number of protection details for 4 Presidents and numerous candidates. I even arrested a nutcase who wanted to assault the wife of a sitting President. Here is how I describe a protection detail:
          Put on your best suit, over a gun, spare ammo, expandable baton, cuffs, and a radio; pack the rest of your good clothes (all of them) in one suitcase; then go into the bathroom, turn the shower on full hot and close the door; then stand there (no sitting or leaning) for 5-6 (or 8-10) hours,with the shower still running (need that heat and 110%humidity).
          If you like it, you'll LOVE protection details.

The USSS took care of us, we ate before they did, and they were a great bunch of guys and gals. I also did some training for DSS - remember, new agents there get posted to some real armpits! It's not all glamor and running alongside the limo. And forget carrying an M4 most of the time. It's lots of boredom, and short periods of intense tension.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

[QUOTE=nicknitro;891166]Call me crazy but I have always enjoyed the thought of bodyguard and protection work. QUOTE]

A lot of guys enjoy the thought of it but don't enjoy the actual work. As some have said it's pretty boring a lot of the time. A friend of mine owns a b/g company in Florida and he enjoys it, but I don't have the patience for the job.

DSS is small and tough to get onto, but if you do make it you can write your own ticket contracting afterwards. Be prepared to see the places were the planet would take an enema if it needed one. A foreign language, particularly Pashtun, would probably come in handy.

The only USSS personnel I ever worked with were from the uniformed division, so I can't offer you much info on the protective details.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3292 users online. 155 members and 3137 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X