• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Request for Civility

I received the following message tonight via e-mail from a forum member:
    I was going to make a post about this, but i really dont want to start
    anything.

I'm not LE, but i've been on this site for years, before the
    changeover recently. I've never caused trouble and never want to.

I just think its ashame that so many cops are so bothered in
    the "Ask a Cop" section. It says "Need Advice?" "Is there
    something you always wanted to ask a cop?" and then when people do,
    most of the cops treat them horrible.

My feeling is, if they hate the question and think the poster
    is an idiot, just dont answer. Why belittle someone and
    argue on and on. I know the cops' jobs is tough, and they
    deal with ^&*% all day long. So why come to a forum and
    want to argue more? I just dont get it.

I wish Ask a Cop could really be that. I know jerks come in
    and ask stupid stuff. But cant cops rise above that??
    I am in complete sympathy with the forum member, and I am asking the cops who hang out here to be a little more patient with the people who ask questions.

I am as aware as anyone that people come here to seek short-cut, no-fault solutions for situations that they have created for themselves, and for which they wish to evade any and all responsibility. We also have our share of people who are only here to taunt the LE community about how much they are getting away with, and how little anyone can do about it, neener, neener, neener. I don't have a lot of use for them, either.

But these people don't comprise the full spectrum of folks who come here looking for answers. Further, if you take cheap shots at them, you lower yourself to their level.

So, I am asking as nicely as I can: if you don't have anything positive to contribute, please sit on your hands and move to the next message thread. If someone is making insults or cop-bashing, click the "Report Bad Post" button and let us take it from there. You are not promised an affirmative response from every report, but I can assure that every one is investigated, and promptly, at that. But please don't take shots at people just because you can.

While an encounter with a cop is another day in the life for us, it's a rare and memorable event for most people (you know this, because they tell you about it as soon as they find out what you do for a living, and believe that every story is unique in the annals of criminal justice). The cop they encounter has the opportunity to make that a positive or negative experience, and that experience will color the way they see law enforcement officers for the rest of their lives. It isn't any different here. The next citizen you encounter could have been someone who was treated badly on this forum, and your job is going to be that much more difficult because of it.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

I couldn't agree more Tim. Like you said, there are many people who deserve being jumped on. But at the end of the day, WE are the professionals, and I hate to see the dogpile that sometimes happens here.

When we stay above the fray, it makes us all look better. There is a place for us to commiserate about all the stupid people and situations we deal with. That's the locker room at the station. But in a public forum, I think we owe it to the public to try and help with our answers, or if the questions are inappropriate, ignore them altogether.

Comment

I certainly will try. My personal opinion on the matter obviously differs. However, I fully understand that I don't own this cite.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I've deleted several posts that made reference to a specific exchange. The idea was not to draw attention to individuals, but to ask the general assembly for a little help in keeping things peaceful.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

I'm direct. Will try to be more civil.
          John 3:16

Comment

Touche, Tim. 100% agreement here. The Thumper Rule should apply, as it does in my wife's 6th grade classroom...

"If ya can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."

Carry on...
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I'm on board!
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I'm in total agreement. In fact, I left another board precisely because of the lack of civility there.

The perceived anonimity of the internet encourages "internet muscles," similar to beer muscles we often see in a bar room. I've tried to avoid being harsh or rude, though I must admit, sometimes attempts at humor can come off as insensitive.

Point taken.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                  I'm in total agreement. In fact, I left another board precisely because of the lack of civility there.

The perceived anonimity of the internet encourages "internet muscles," similar to beer muscles we often see in a bar room. I've tried to avoid being harsh or rude, though I must admit, sometimes attempts at humor can come off as insensitive.

Point taken.
                  Truckers call it, Radio Rambo Syndrome, if one gets mouthy in the anonymity of the airwaves.
                  The All New
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Message received.
                    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Im not one to bash supposed 'fellow cops' but its the same as 'beer muscles', I call it "internet muscles"
                      I have been one to maybe push the frustration of a stupid post a little bit over the past few years. Im a better and more mature person now

I agree, lets be more civil....
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

I have been a good part of the problem. I will be more civil in my responses and if I read a question that I take offense to or I feel as though the person asking the question is trying to provoke an arguement I simply will not respond.
                        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I'm bringing this thread out of retirement and bumping it to the top for a few days, since we seem to have a few folks that either missed the basic course or need a refresher.

Comment

And as before, I could not agree more.

Even as I say that, I think back of few posts here by my brethren which were needlessly nasty and sarcastic. I was both embarrassed for the profession and felt like the civilian asking the question would be well justified in walking away with the opinion of, "To hell with these cops. They are as crumby as I thought they were."

We sorely underestimate both the support we (you) have in the civilian community (believe me, I make a portion of my living writing to the civilian audience of police work) and, the damage we do to it when we are short or conceited with these citizens.

As I said before, always think of the Thumper Rule before you post....

"If you can't say somethin' nice....don't say nothin at all."

The All New
                            - M1Garand

Comment

Hmmmmm, let's see, I spent all day having to be nice and respectful to everyone on the lower end of the evolutionary scale, whom I had contact with at work - gangsters, pavement princesses, hypes, perverts, drug dealers, defense attorneys, poser police officers, community activists, wanna' be cops, the mayor, city council, and certain Staff Officers...Then I came home to unwind online, and what do I see? Questions from trolls about 'excessive force.' So I threw a few catty remarks back at the "tall, outgoing, athletic, blond (her original profile)," and someone didn't like it and so now we all get a lecture?

Okay, she graduated to my ignore list, anyways....but I got to tell you, it keeps growing, and growing, and growing!
                              Last edited by Kieth M.; 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM.
                              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6257 users online. 312 members and 5945 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X