300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Valor

Good Day all is it legal to wear surplus uniform like a coat or pants or maybe a old hat? I have heard you can not wear any part of the uniform,

also is it stolen valor if someone says they a veteran and they are not one but not seeking discounts or money

Comment

Courts have held that falsely claiming to be a veteran, and the wearing of unearned awards or rank, is protected free speech.

Stolen valor only applies legally when the subject attempts to profit from their Lies, which is fraud. So falsely claiming a discount or other benefit would be a crime.

It also has always been a crime to wear the uniform and attempt to impersonate an active duty military member.

Wearing surplus uniform parts without the attempt to impersonate an active duty service member nor claim some unearned tangible benefit is not a crime.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You can wear whatever you want. As noted above, unless you are using the uniform to commit a fraud, it is not against the law, although some will find it distastfull.

Comment

The "distasteful" part also depends on what you are doing with said surplus uniform items. You can find modern camo items (tops/bottoms, cold weather gear, wet weather gear, etc) for cheap and it makes great cheap camping/outdoor/hunting clothing and equipment. That is very different then showing up to a parade in dress uniform items.

Comment

Do a Google for William James Clark and the I-40 bridge collapse for an extreme example of stolen valor.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              You can wear whatever you want. As noted above, unless you are using the uniform to commit a fraud, it is not against the law, although some will find it distastfull.
              yes, but nobody is going to care if somebody is wearing an old M65 field jacket or something...
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

yes, but nobody is going to care if somebody is wearing an old M65 field jacket or something...
                When I finally left the Army 7 years ago, I probably had enough ACU crap to fill a U-haul and I still haven't gotten rid of it all - uniforms, LBE gear, the flak that they never wanted back, etc. I could care less whenever I see someone wearing an ECWCS or an ACU shirt on the street.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6828 users online. 349 members and 6479 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X