300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to bust sexual predators...now what

1st post here and thanks in advance for your replies.
    I don't know that I could qualify as a LEO. I'm 54 and have health problems. I don't know that I could pass the physical qualifications and have an "aiding prostitution" charge which was expunged after paying the state fine in Tennessee from when I was a taxi driver 15 years ago. I also was a fairly "lost" teen and was involved in drugs for several years after high school. I quit using alcohol and drugs after waking up and realising 2 years of my life had disappeared and I slept through them in a daze.
    I build computers and am fairly intuitive with various types of software finding it easy to learn new programs.
    I am so creeped out by sexual predators I would like to help bust them and get them out of society.
    Do police departments use non-police resources? By that I mean "How can a guy like me who probably couldn't qualify in Law Enforcement still help out with this type of offender's arrest and/or prosecution?"

Thanks for your time in advance,
    Lee

The private sector would be a good place to look. They work closely with LE in regards to predators. The name of the show on Dateline is slipping my mind right now, but that's where I'm going.

Someone (this would be you, if you find a company that does this work) arranges a meeting, predator makes his presence, and gets picked up for it.
    sigpic

Comment

www.pervertedjustice.com is the site Dateline goes through.

Comment

Originally posted by melee52 View Post
        I am so creeped out by sexual predators I would like to help bust them and get them out of society.
        This definitely an area where you do not want to freelance. If you can't find a role where you are officially assisting an established anti-internet predator organization, don't even start.

Online "hunting" for internet predators looks easy when you see it on TV, but like most other things in police work, it is best left to experts. I've received some formal training in this area, and I now know enough about it to know that I am not remotely prepared to try it on my own.

Most police agencies have some kind of non-sworn volunteer program. Art Femister writes a monthly column on these programs for Officer.com. You can search our site for articles by him. You can also find more information about these programs at National Association Citizens on Patrol. If you find a program where you would like to volunteer, be very candid with their recruiter concerning your background. Don't put them and yourself through the process, hoping that they won't discover what you already know.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Agree 100% with Tim. I've also had training on online sexual predator investigations, spending more than a year as part of a part-time internet crimes unit. We follow extremely specific guidelines when we're working internet crimes/"traveller" cases. When they're done right, they're some of the best criminal cases that a prosecutor can be handed. But, when they're messed up, they're REALLY messed up (and they can be messed up very easily).

I'll agree that this is a serious issue, but I don't agree with online vigilantes.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

DON't!!!

I fully agree with Tim Dees about NOT freelancing in this area. Doing so could possibly put you in the possession of contraband images or make you an accessory in the exploitation of children.

Don't do it, and don't associate yourself with groups like "perverted justice." A large percentage of criminal cases developed by this group will never see criminal prosecution because of entrapment and other issues.

Dateline has done a lot to bring the problem of sexual predators out in the open. Unfortunately, their motives are to get ratings, and not necessarily to save children.

The best thing ANY law abiding citizen can do if they encounter predatory conduct on the Internet is to submit a Cybertip to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) (www.missingkids.com) (1-800-THE-LOST). BUT DON'T LOOK FOR IT, DON'T SEEK IT OUT, DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THE CREATION OF AN ONLINE CRIME.

Let us professionals do that. We have very strict rules we follow, we make good cases, and we put online predators in prison.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATCybercop View Post
              don't associate yourself with groups like "perverted justice."
              I doubt they would let him into their group....as they are pretty particular whom they let work for them...... And contrary to popular believe....they do go by strict guidelines and have turn all of their info over to LE now.....several years ago they didn't.....but they do now. I have worked with them several times and they are great to work with...... It took them a while to get that way......but they work well with LE now...

Dateline has done a lot to bring the problem of sexual predators out in the open. Unfortunately, their motives are to get ratings, and not necessarily to save children.
              Those were the first couple of Dateline stories..... They were not working with LE at all. Now days, every story they do, they have LE there....and turn everything over to them.... Thus far, everyone has been convicted due to their work.....

Comment

Originally posted by melee52 View Post
                and have an "aiding prostitution" charge which was expunged after paying the state fine in Tennessee from when I was a taxi driver 15 years ago.
                If you go through any sort of LE background check (which you would have to do so to work stuff like this....) they will find it.....and I seriously doubt they would want your assistance because of that......

That's just me....

Comment

Yeah, if you freelance, you could be busted yourself for being a sexual predator.

Go through some agency. There are things you can say, things you can't say, and you don't know who you are talking to.
                  "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I would add that you could also screw up active investigations, and the person you think is a predator might just be the FBI. Leave the investigating to the pros. Sit back and watch dateline and enjoy the show.
                    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Contrary to what's been posted by another poster, Perverted Justice cases AREfrequently not criminally prosecuted because of entrapment and enticement issues.

Those LE agencies who have chosen to work with this group do so at the risk of losing federal funding. Those of us who work these kinds of cases in a legal and professional manner will not accept their assistance.

National Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force regulations strictly prohibit working with Perverted Justice because of past problems.

Comment

The best way is to stay vigilant and be aware of the people in your neighborhood and your community. DO NOT TRY TO INVESTIGATE SEXUAL PREDATORS ON YOUR OWN! You will find yourself in a world of trouble.
                        It sounds like you have good intentions but be careful.
                        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Contrary to what's been posted by another poster, Perverted Justice cases AREfrequently not criminally prosecuted because of entrapment and enticement issues.

Those LE agencies who have chosen to work with this group do so at the risk of losing federal funding. Those of us who work these kinds of cases in a legal and professional manner will not accept their assistance.

National Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force regulations strictly prohibit working with Perverted Justice because of past problems.
                          Entrapment has to be by the government to be used as a viable defense. To use the entrapment defense, you have to admit to all elements of the crime, but say you wouldn't have done it unless the government had put the idea in your mind. So, civilans can't entrap people, unless they're working for the cops.

Cases are lost sometimes becasuse juries are sympathetic to the pervert. This is true when the language is particularly lucid on the part of the plant. Or, if you've got a pervert or two on the jury. But, when a guy shows up to meet a 13 year old girl, entrapment is about his only defense.

Anyone working for the police must therefore be VERY careful of what they say. That's why I don't recommened vigilante pervert hunting.

Women with juvenile voices are great for volunteers, but they have to go through legal training to avoid entrapment. Because, as I understand it, the pervert always wants to talk before a meeting to make sure he's not talking to another pervert, or the cops.

As you pointed out, it's best to leave such things to professionals. Even if the agency does not use a Pervert Hunter, the defendatn can still claim, with some justification, that the government was involved if it ever had contact with the vigilante.

Good hearted, but that don't win a case.
                          Last edited by Gene L; 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM.
                          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Must be from where you are from.....

We had no issues using them.....and ICAC never bothered us.....as because ICAC NEVER would help us....other than provide training once/twice a year.....because they were clear the hell down in Wichita....or over in St. Louis.......we had to do stuff on our own.....

Though....we were doing our own stuff well before this became one of the hot things to do in LE........and (when I left) were making more busts than the Federal Task Force over in Overland Park, KS....
                            Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling issues

Comment

We've got a department here that worked with "PJ" too, and they also made a lot of busts. But few of the busts resulted in a conviction. Matter of fact, our USA refuses to prosecute cases originated by perverted justice.
                              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5646 users online. 312 members and 5334 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X