Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a green/white light bar be legal in Alabama for off-road use?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a green/white light bar be legal in Alabama for off-road use?

We own land in an abandoned strip mine (in Alabama) and operate an off-road vehicle park. On the weekends we often have some events/shows. We considered putting a light bar on one of our vehicles to use during the events. I wouldn’t feel comfortable using blue or red (even if it’s legal off-road) and amber is too generic. We are thinking green and white.

Is there any legal reason we shouldn’t do this? The lights will only be activated off road in areas that is not visible from the public road. However, the truck will occasionally be driven on public roads, of course the lights would never be activated on public roads. There will be no decals or markings on the vehicle. I have looked in the code of Alabama and I can’t find any mention of green lights. The law seems to only addresses blue and red lights.

Why do you need flashing lights? What do you mean by amber is “too generic?”
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Why do you need flashing lights? What do you mean by amber is “too generic?”
      Don't particularly need them IMO but the owner seems to be interested in them. Many of the off-road vehicle owners seem to have amber flashing lights on their rigs so we were looking for something that sets our company vehicle apart. I know some states designate green lights for use by volunteer firefighters but Alabama makes no designation. The Code of Alabama seems to be completely silent on green lights from what I can tell.

Comment

Again, why do you need them?

Comment

Rainbow led strips all over the vehicles. That will let everyone see you if you are wanting to use lights to draw attention to yourself. You’ll even make the woke sjw crazies happy so everybody wins.
          US Army Veteran
          The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Again, why do you need them?
            As mentioned, we don’t need them. The park owner just wants them for some reason. I just want to know if there is some legal reason not to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse6 View Post
              Rainbow led strips all over the vehicles. That will let everyone see you if you are wanting to use lights to draw attention to yourself. You’ll even make the woke sjw crazies happy so everybody wins.
              That actually would be pretty funny. I am going to suggest this to him.

Comment

• darkhorse6
                darkhorse6 commented
                Editing a comment
                There would be no danger of being mislabeled as a police vehicle. You might even paint the trucks like a pot of gold (using black raptor liner on the sides and gold paint on the roof). It’d be a hit for St Paddys Day and Irish men everywhere.

• darkhorse6
                darkhorse6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Since there’s no flashing unnecessary lightbar up top, theres more room for those insanely bright spot lightbars to turn the night into day. I would suggest the jurassic park theme but that’s a bit played out.

Originally posted by threeofnine View Post
              We own land in an abandoned strip mine (in Alabama) and operate an off-road vehicle park.
              Don't particularly need them IMO but the owner seems to be interested in them.
              As mentioned, we don’t need them. The park owner just wants them for some reason. I just want to know if there is some legal reason not to do this.
              Are we referring to ourselves in the third person, or are there other factors involved?

Comment

Don't know AL law. But if you couldn't find a law forbidding it then it might be ok.

I don't see a need for it and would think an LED spot flood light bar (white) would better on your situation. JMO. You may want to check with your insurance company and maybe DOT since your vehicle sounds like it's used for business.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                  Don't know AL law. But if you couldn't find a law forbidding it then it might be ok.

I don't see a need for it and would think an LED spot flood light bar (white) would better on your situation. JMO. You may want to check with your insurance company and maybe DOT since your vehicle sounds like it's used for business.
                  Thanks for the reply. Actually this morning I ran across one of those standard LED off road light bars but with an adjustable color scale. That actually might be a better choice and looks cooler IMO, it doesn’t flash or anything. I’ll recommend this one.

The truck is registered to an LLC and has a business insurance policy.

Comment

I've been out of Alabama law enforcement for five years so my advice might be dated. On private property, you should be ok. However, if they are used on any public roadway it would be illegal. If you happen to fall within a city police jurisdiction (even outside the city limits) depending on the classification of the city there could be a city ordinance that makes it illegal. City ordinances are considered Class C misdemeanors or violations.
                    1*

Comment

Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
                      I've been out of Alabama law enforcement for five years so my advice might be dated. On private property, you should be ok. However, if they are used on any public roadway it would be illegal. If you happen to fall within a city police jurisdiction (even outside the city limits) depending on the classification of the city there could be a city ordinance that makes it illegal. City ordinances are considered Class C misdemeanors or violations.
                      Thanks for the reply. Would it only be illegal if they are activated (which they never would be) or would their simple presence on the vehicle also be illegal?

Comment

• vdfnco
                        vdfnco commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If they were activated.

So the NEED is for WHAT exactly?

Comment

I have seen light bars with covers over them - some say 'out of service' - if you ever needed to take it to a shop.
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3707 users online. 202 members and 3505 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X