300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abuse of authority

This afternoon my wife was driving on a two lane road when a patrol car came up behind her and rode her bumper for a few miles just feet off her bumper. She did as I always do and pulls to the side of the road to let the tailgater pass. She and I always pull over for all tailgaters. Well the officer pulls in behind her. He asks her why she pulled over she says to let him pass. He says he is pulling her over for...and pauses as he walks around the vehicle....then says for having no front plate. This he would not have known until he pulled her over as he was always behind her. Well the vehicle is new and came from another state where front plates are not required. The front plate bracket is on order from the dealership. He wrote her a ticket for no front plate which is no big deal, she understands she was suppose to have a front plate.
    BUT THEN she pulls away an he continues to follow her 2 feet off her bumper. She pulls to the side of the road and he pulls in behind her. She pulls away he rides her bumper. She pulls over again he pulls in behind her. He did this a total of seven times before she pulled down a side street. Total abuse of power IMO. The sergeant has been notified and if nothing is done at that level we will take it to the next level.

And your question is???

Why come to a pro police forum and make a complaint against an officer that none of us on here know? If you are trying to let us know that some officers are jerks...well....we already know that. We also know that there are two sides to every story. If your complaint is legit and you took it up with the Sergeant, then obviously you did what you needed to do.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Seven times more?

Troll!
      What is it good for?
      Absolutely nothing! Nothing!
      Say it again...
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I thought maybe someone here would have some advice as how to follow through. No I am not a troll, but I really didn't expect decent treatment from anyone here anyways. BTW I and my wife have totally clean driving records and criminal records. It's not just cops and criminals out there people there are good people in this world.

BTW my wife waited for 8 minutes for the officer to pull away from the side of the road and he didn't. As soon as she pulled away he pulled right up behind her.

AND the reason why we pull over for tailgaters is my wife had brain surgery in 2003 and had vertebrae and some lower pieces of skull removed. If she is rear-ended it is very likely she will be killed.

Comment

The stop seems valid, albeit unconventional. You filed the complaint, you'll get a response and told what, if any, options you have. Since no one here knows the agency or officer, what's the question?

Comment

The stop may be questionable but the conduct after the stop is unacceptable. I have read through the tailgaters thread twice now. There are many officers who give many reasons as to why they tailgate. All of those reasons were satisfied when the officer pulled in behind my wife the first time, he had the opportunity to check her and her vehicle out thoroughly. Him continuing to tailgate her after he was asked not to and my wife pulling over and him not passing was him abusing his power and driving dangerously.

Is this acceptable behavior or not?

Are there special rules for police officers that they can tailgate people.

Comment

sounds like a an inexperienced or immature officer-maybe he thought she did something that "peeved" him-who knows -you filed your complaint ,you'll have your "Day" to complain-both in court and with his dept.if this officer is a jerk,maybe your ctzn complaint will quell his behavior..maybe not...either way drive safe and get that front plate put on....
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

As DOA cop said, sounds like a kid who was bored and decided to take it out on your wife. Guys like that give the rest of us a bad name.
                Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Assuming he actually did all that then I'd encourage you to report him. He may have had a reason, but he probably didn't. File a complaint. I think it would be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Wigtwister View Post
                    The stop may be questionable but the conduct after the stop is unacceptable. I have read through the tailgaters thread twice now. There are many officers who give many reasons as to why they tailgate. All of those reasons were satisfied when the officer pulled in behind my wife the first time, he had the opportunity to check her and her vehicle out thoroughly. Him continuing to tailgate her after he was asked not to and my wife pulling over and him not passing was him abusing his power and driving dangerously.

Is this acceptable behavior or not?

Are there special rules for police officers that they can tailgate people.
                    Does it really matter if someone else finds this acceptable or not? Both of you find it unacceptable and have made a complaint. Other than that, what exactly are you thinking you will find here? Especially since your original post did not present a question....

Comment

If this story is true, a complaint is not only valid but should be encouraged to be made. There are a few times in the past when our own have been hired when they shouldn't have or (worse) have gone over to the "dark side." Even if the complaint is "not sustained" (insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegations), a series of similar complaints made against this individual officer should be sending up big warning flags. You've made no mention of having any animosity towards the police by either you or your wife. If I was this officer's supervisor, I'd take your complaint very seriously and initiate an investigation. We owe this to you, your wife, the officer, and the public at large.
                      Last edited by pulicords; 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM. Reason: grammar
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Wig........The most important point is that when you asked for a complaint form you received it, unlike Djack's buddy in another thread.

Comment

I am suspecting there is more to the story and that the officer in question probably had everything recorded on his in-car camera.....and the complaint will go away faster than Clinton sucking down 2 Big Mac and an order of lareg fries.....then drinking it down with a Diet Coke.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            I am suspecting there is more to the story and that the officer in question probably had everything recorded on his in-car camera.....and the complaint will go away faster than Clinton sucking down 2 Big Mac and an order of lareg fries.....then drinking it down with a Diet Coke.....

I didn't even think about that. Do you think we can review the tape. That would be excellent evidence of what happened, and BTW it was exactly as I explained it.

Comment

I didn't even think about that. Do you think we can review the tape. That would be excellent evidence of what happened
                              Depends on the department.....as most progressive agencies have cameras in their vehicles.....some don't......

As for releasing the tape....that's up to agency policy.......

and BTW it was exactly as I explained it.
                              And you were there.....correct...?
                              Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-03-2007, 10:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3528 users online. 182 members and 3346 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X