Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is becoming a police officer still worth it in the current political climate?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is becoming a police officer still worth it in the current political climate?

Ive always wanted to become a police officer. But given the current likelyhood of the elections and seeing the resistance to police officers in the past few months I thought I would ask...

Even while president trump supported LEO, they faced massive rage everywhere. Now that we have a couple of liberals in office, is a career in police still valid or are we/you/they about to become a joke?
    I've moved from California (Blue) to Florida (Red) to at least retain some decency towards law enforcement. What are your thoughts?

LE hasn't been "worth it" for more than a decade.

Once upon a time, LE was a stable profession with good benefits and a decent retirement. That disappeared around 2010, when we saw widespread LE layoffs for the first time in recent memory. Now, politicians realize that LE isn't the sacred cow fiscally that we once were and they're willing to cut LE budgets. At the same time, pay has stagnated, benefits have been cut, and retirement has been underfunded. From a purely financial standpoint, LE isn't a competitive profession anymore compared to the private sector.

None of that is even factoring in the current political climate. Anyone getting into LE today will almost certainly be facing manpower shortages, training cuts/limitations, and substandard equipment...even moreso than in the past, as all of these things were common to some degree in LE already. You'll still be working weekends and holidays and you'll still be missing those special moments in life because you're working. Not to mention, you'll be under intense scrutiny and those above you will be more than happy to sacrifice you to the mob.

Experienced LEO's are running for the hills as we speak (for good reason). The worst part is, this is the time that we need good people in LE the most...we're at a crossroads the likes of which we havn't seen in LE in probably 50 years and the profession could easily be destroyed without officers in it who care about the job and the people more than the politics and "social justice" bs.

If you want to get an idea of the 10-20 years in LE, look at what happened in the last-60's through the 80's, because we're essentially reliving it right now. People decided to "reform" the police in the 70's after the Civil Rights Movement and those "reforms" causes a domino effect of civil uprising, skyrocketing crime rates, and urban decay that took more than 20 years to start to recover from (some major cities, like Detroit, still havn't come back from it). It's happening again right now and chances are that we will see similar (if not worse) reactions.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• kingkapoor
      kingkapoor commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a non liberal source where I can read more about the detroit issues. I do believe the same thing will happen just from the broad picture of the riots and people burning their own cities, but everything is so censored.

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd have to do your research. The information is out there, but we're talking about an entire era with so many different factors and influences (if I came across as implying that the "police reforms" of the 60's/70's were the sole factor in the decline of large cities like Detroit, I apologize...they were only one factor in a huge tapestry of issues that made up the entire era) that it's unlikely that you'll easily find it all in one article.

I'm retired. We just bought a ranch in Texas, and will be leaving Portland in about two weeks...

Comment

• kingkapoor
      kingkapoor commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this portland oregon?
      I feel so sorry for you man. I hope texas is better.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, Portland Oregon.

We're outta here in a matter of days...

It’s never been worth it from a financial perspective. Any job where you can lose your life, and thus not be around to spend the money, isn’t worth doing for the money and never will be.

I wasnt a Soldier for the pay before, and I’m not a cop for the pay now.

if you can find reasons to do the job now in spite of the political climate, then yes it’s worth doing.

If not, then no.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by kingkapoor View Post
      Ive always wanted to become a police officer. But given the current likelyhood of the elections and seeing the resistance to police officers in the past few months I thought I would ask...

Even while president trump supported LEO, they faced massive rage everywhere. Now that we have a couple of liberals in office, is a career in police still valid or are we/you/they about to become a joke?
      I've moved from California (Blue) to Florida (Red) to at least retain some decency towards law enforcement. What are your thoughts?
      Just use your millions and form a security company. You can play Chief cop and not risk a thing...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

That’s what Jeremy Dewitte did in Florida
        US Army Veteran
        The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

Police are not facing massive rage everywhere. Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I don't live in Portland or Seattle, but I probably get "Thank you for your service" at least twice a day by people from all races.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
            Police are not facing massive rage everywhere. Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I don't live in Portland or Seattle, but I probably get "Thank you for your service" at least twice a day by people from all races.
            Most definitely true. Usually get thanked several times a day (Currently working as a Court House Security Officer in a Sheriff's Office uniform)

LE / Corrections was a good career & is now providing me with a nice pension that meets my needs in retirement. ( I still work part time because I WANT TO not because I need to)

That being said,after 43 yrs of service I am not recommending anyone STARTING a LE career at this time. My old co-workers in Corrections tell me that I would probably get fired if I was still working because the place has changed so much and I was an OLD SCHOOL officer/supervisor. I work closely with the sworn Deputies in my agency & attend departmental meetings & see what is happening on the streets.

Nope, wouldn't want to be starting the profession now..........................
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Big city urban policing, No way. Specialized security oriented agencies, maybe.

Comment

Times like these reinforce that this profession is a calling and not just a job. I agree the pay is subpar and the political climate is very hostile. It is incumbent on all of us in law enforcement to lead by good example. During my FTO, it was reinforced that a lifetime of good can be overshadowed by one bad incident, so always choose the right path.

History tends to repeat itself in many ways. Some say this is similar to what happened years ago, with a long term “war” the country didn’t want followed by growing civil unrest towards authorities. There is uncertainty regardless of what the media says regarding the election. Too many Americans are attempting to count chickens before they hatch in my opinion.

Popular Opinion is that policing is no longer the noble profession it once was. I say it is up to us to stay the course and hold the line. In certain states, officers are losing protections they once had and that is definitely a scary thing. You have to weigh the risk versus reward in anything you do in life.

Many officers are leaving the profession entirely because they don’t wanna risk the livelihood of their family for some individual to make a false claim and get sued. Hell, officers are leaving for a bunch of different reasons but others are staying. I don’t judge any officer that decides that the job is no longer for them because they’re making an adult, rational decision based off of their circumstances.

@kingcapoor - do some soul-searching and find out if this career is right for you. Now more than ever we need guys and gals that have integrity and are willing to do the job right. You’re going to get ridiculed and you’re going to get accused of stuff. You’re going to get treated like crap or treated well depending on your department in your area. Keep family first and make the right decision for you.
                US Army Veteran
                The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The pay is not subpar...

• darkhorse6
                  darkhorse6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cops in the SE states and rural areas would disagree.

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know, man- I didn't get out of bed for less than $100K.

How the heck would I have been able to afford a new custom-ordered Porsche convertible as a work commuter on less..

• darkhorse6
                  darkhorse6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cali for salary? 100k+ isn’t realistic anywhere else unless you are talking about federal agencies and special agents. Factor in that STUPID high cost of living and your 100k vaporizes. I’m talking net income in most if the US.
                  Last edited by darkhorse6; 11-24-2020, 05:11 PM.

You might be better off looking at federal law enforcement. For now anyway, we seem to be under less scrutiny. We also have a lot less contact with the random public. Obviously its different than being a local cop but you can still do some good work and have better job security.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3908 users online. 273 members and 3635 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X