300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this interesting story

Found this interesting story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZwmCbMBHk do any of you think anything has changed since 1968? Has it gotten better or worse? Thanks

LE is light years ahead of where we were in 1968. Back then, hiring standards were minimal, the average officer was poorly educated and frequently chosen for his ability in a fight, training was limited, equipment was rudimentary, oversight was practically non-existent and corruption was widespread.

In comparison, today's officer is comparatively well-educated (your average officer is required to have a HS diploma and probably has at least some college, if not a degree), hiring standards are strict and the process is stringent, training is extensive and ongoing (including training in things like de-escalation tactics), equipment is considerably more advanced (including access to less-than-lethal equipment the likes of which an officer in 1968 couldn't dream), oversight is nearly Orwellian (in-car cameras, body cameras, people with cell phones recording...you're always being recorded in LE today), and any serious corruption is heavily frowned upon.

And, yet, that clip (minus the dated terminology) could have been recorded yesterday on the streets of Portland, Seattle, or NYC. So, what does that tell me? It tells me that there are certain segments of the population who will never trust the police and who will always see them as an oppressive force, not matter how well we do the job. It tells me that, while the police have improved, the public perception has remained largely unchanged. And, it tells me that, while there are always things we can do better in LE, it's not necessarily going to make a difference to those who view us with mistrust and disdain.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      As Darkhorse said, sometimes there are just bad people who want to do bad things. Watch your posted clip again and listen to the guy who was complaining because OTHER drug dealers and numbers runners weren't getting busted, but he was...he wasn't mad because drug dealers and numbers runners were getting busted, hew was mad because HE was getting busted.

Now, you could also delve into more theoretical, obtuse reasons relating to democratic societies and healthy mistrust of those in power. In any democracy (or, as in the US, a republic), the People mistrust those who have the power to restrict or remove rights. People don't trust politicians because they can pass laws restricting them. People don't trust judges because they can rule them in violation of the law and remove their right to freedom through incarceration. And, people don't trust the police because we can remove their rights (up to and including the right to life) with very little immediate oversight.

• Chicago1991
      Chicago1991 commented
      Editing a comment
      What were the numbers runners/tickets they were talking about?

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      "Numbers runners" are basically underground/illegal bookies. "Running numbers" means playing what is essentially an illegal local lottery...as I understand it, it was big in lower-class neighborhoods back in the day (I have no idea if it's still a thing...more of a big city activity and I'm a townie).

• scotty_appleton814
      scotty_appleton814 commented
      Editing a comment
      There are still folks in Chicago running numbers. I only know of a couple but I'm sure it's still more.

We certainly get paid better these days...

Comment

The short version is, law enforcement has changed drastically since 1968, two years before I was born, while the anti-police population has remained the same.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Tanksoldier, I would say there is one difference - today the anti-police population includes some elected officials in some cities.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
          Tanksoldier, I would say there is one difference - today the anti-police population includes some elected officials in some cities.
          Quibble. They are the same, they’ve just gotten elected to office.

...and the general population has changed to the point where they are willing to elect such people to office.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Quibble. They are the same, they’ve just gotten elected to office.

...and the general population has changed to the point where they are willing to elect such people to office.
            What are some of the reasons you would say that the general population is willing to elect such people to office?

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post

What are some of the reasons you would say that the general population is willing to elect such people to office?
              Bread and circuses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3146 users online. 245 members and 2901 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X