Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did okay just by helping out when asked- I did not make a habit of pursuing extra shifts, and I also avoided off-duty assignments.

I found that commuting back and forth to work in a Porsche convertible that I custom-ordered new, really helped my outlook on things...

Comment

Overtime is scarce when you need it and plentiful when you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Former12
        OT? What’s that? You mean Comp Time? Lol
        This is the "Ask a Cop" section, and your profile says you're not a cop. If you're not a cop or a retired cop, you have no business posting here...

Comment

Problem solved...

Comment

As others have said, OT availability can vary wildly from year to year. Don’t count on it being there. Use it to pad investment accounts or to buy luxuries - never ever plan your basic budget to include any overtime.

And there is something else you should consider as well. Some day later in life, you’ll be wishing you’d never worked a minute of OT and had instead spent the time with people who aren’t here anymore, or who soon won’t be. The job is just that - a job. Service and duty are important things and a way of life for most of us, but keep things in perspective. Action, adrenaline and toys don’t replace time.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I checked with admin since i’m former LEO who holds a lifetime certification i’m allowed to post. So calm down dude.
              You have ZERO veracity on here or anywhere else. “Lifetime certification “ what a ****ing joke.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup. I was going to address that, but he was banned, so I let it go...

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                ...and now it looks like he's not only banned again, but all of his posts have been removed...

Most of what i’ve posted on here is from experience on the job and I think i’ve made decent contributions thus far.
              You have no experience- you never made it past being a rookie.

Sometimes these younger kids asking questions would prefer someone in their 20’s answer them as opposed to someone older.
              You didn't invent being in your 20's, Skippy. All of those who are older, have more experience at being in their 20's than you do. Plus, we made it past the rookie stage, survived an entire career, and retired honorably.

Comment

Problem solved...again...

Comment

The easiest way to land yourself in financial trouble is to “count” on overtime. You should NEVER include overtime in your personal budgeting because the department may be doling it out like candy one day....and then all it takes is a small political change or one federal grant that disappears and bang, no more OT. I am very lucky to be in a department where in the 11 years I’ve been on, OT has been plentiful.....But you’re only ever just one city council member change away from everything changing.

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is absolutely true, but there was never a time during my entire career, where there was ot as much overtime as I was willing to work.

I have also been ordered countless times to work overtime, on a case-by-case basis as other officers become unavailable to work scheduled shifts for whatever reason, natural disasters, civil unrest, major cases, and/or simply as a regular scheduling thing due to simply being below minimum staffing levels.

I typically made an additional $50-70K in overtime each year on top of my regular pay, without actively pursuing overtime...
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 12-12-2020, 03:06 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6053 users online. 309 members and 5744 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X