300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your schedule like as a LEO?

I know it varies from department to department but I was wondering how often do police officers work? IS it a 9-5 5 days a week job?

I know an officer in NC that works 2 days a week and every other weekend, 12 hour shifts.

So what are yours like?

Also where are you from?

Of course its not mon-fri 9-5. Thats so obvious its not.. I have a pretty nice schedule with some 9-5. But every department has officers on days/evenings/midnights.

I am

Mon-Off
    Tues-Off
    Wed-6p-2a
    Thurs-6p-2a
    Fri-9a-5p
    Sat-9a-5p
    Sun-9a-5p

And When we rotate again, I'll be on all midnights with tues/wed nights off. Its all different,

I like my schedule a lot, gives me time to be social on the weekend evenings with my friends, who are the business types and work m-f 9-5. In Law Enforcement, youre going to miss the Saturday afternoon cookouts and such. But you know that coming into the job. If you want day shift weekends off, be a banker.

Comment

Nick,

that schedule that you're referring to is the standard 12 hour schedule. It's great.

oh, and NC also.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

We have a crazy schedule normally its like 6PM till a 2Am or 6PM till 3AM or a 6PM till 4AM. The only way that changes is if there is a special event (Concerts, dance, grants), your in the middle of an investigating, court, or your called out for something going on (Which this last two months has been just about every day I have worked.) Other wise you work five and are off three.
        Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon (4:00 PM to 2:00 AM), Tue/Wed/Thur off.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

We work 6 days on, 3 days off, 8.5 hour shifts.

There are some 9-5 slots, but that's not the norm for a patrol officer.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I think we have the best shedule. It repeats every two weeks two weeks of days0700-17:30...2 weeks of afternoons 1200-2130...then two weeks of midnights 2130-0700

The actuall shift repeats as well...
              mon-work
              tues-work
              wed-off
              thurs-off
              fri-work
              sat-work
              sun-work
              mon-off
              tues-off
              wed-work
              thurs-work
              fri-off
              sat-off
              sun-off
              then repeats from the top....So basically every two weeks i work wed and thurs which makes for a two day work week and a 3 day weekend....
              Cer

Comment

Originally posted by nicknitro View Post
                I know it varies from department to department but I was wondering how often do police officers work? IS it a 9-5 5 days a week job?

I know an officer in NC that works 2 days a week and every other weekend, 12 hour shifts.

So what are yours like?

Also where are you from?
                It sucks. That's what it's like.

Comment

We have the standard 12 hour rotation too. One week we have wed and thurs off and then the next week we only work on wed and thurs. We bid every 6 months for our shifts.

Comment

We have two patrol teams, A and B.
                    A team - Wed-Sat - 1st Wednesday of the month is a paid holiday. 2nd Wednesday is training.
                    B team - Sun-Wed. 3rd Wednesday is the holiday. 4th Wednesday is training.
                    If there is a 5th Wednesday, it is used for special teams (SWAT/Bomb) training, and patrol is comprised of the leftovers.

Days - 0630-1630
                    Swings - 1530-0130
                    Graves - 2130-0730

We just narrowly averted going to 12s, which was being considered due to low staffing. I'd rather work an extra shift once every three or four weeks than work 12s and have no life during the work week. 12 hours is just too long a day. 10 is good for me, as it gives us three days off each week but leaves enough time in the day to have a life after being done with work. (I have long since reached the point in my career where I finally realized it's not a crusade or the meaning of life itself, but just a job. It's a great job most of the time, but the reality is jobs are to pay for the fun stuff in life.) As an FTO, it's pretty much a guarantee that that 12 hour shift would become 14-15 hours every day.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have two options available to us:

4/10/40 - 4 10 hour days (days off either Monday or Friday)

9/8/80 - 9 hour days with a day off every other week (Monday or Friday) on your 5 day work week you work 8 hours on your usual day off.
                      Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

My department has some 8's and some 10's. I work 2200-0800 Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. I love the 10-hour shifts, wish we had 12's though.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineSqueeze View Post
                          I have a pretty nice schedule with some 9-5. But every department has officers on days/evenings/midnights.

I am

Mon-Off
                          Tues-Off
                          Wed-6p-2a
                          Thurs-6p-2a
                          Fri-9a-5p
                          Sat-9a-5p
                          Sun-9a-5p
                          So, considering you get off on time, live close, and go right to bed, on thurs you only get a couple hours of sleep before going back to work for another 8 hrs Not to mention free time, which would be non-existent during those days right???

I've never seen a schedule like that......

Comment

Yes it is different. I am pretty tired on Friday mornings, but i dont mind it. I get out sunday at 5p, and dont have to be back until 6p on wednesday night. I live about 40 minutes from where I work. So Thursday night I do not get a lot of sleep. I dont mind it though.

Comment

I work every fourth weekend..on call from Friday @ 1800 to Sunday @ 1800. Work whenever I want in between.
                              summer - winter - work

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6399 users online. 347 members and 6052 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X