Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strictly do you enforce pot?

For less than 28grams?

How strict are you? Do you make the dispose of it and tell them not to let it happen again? Do you jail em and bring them into the station? No jail but taken home and brought to the parents?

Originally posted by swazo View Post
    For less than 28grams?

How strict are you? Do you make the dispose of it and tell them not to let it happen again? Do you jail em and bring them into the station? No jail but taken home and brought to the parents?
    Generally, less than 30 grams is a misdemeanor in my state. It can be a felony, if the suspect has a prior conviction for possession of marijuana. I usually issue a court summons but I will take them to jail if they give me any static.

Comment

Its funner makin the kid call home and have his mom or dad come pick them up at the station... Those were the days

Comment

When I was working the street in Nevada, which was a while ago now, possession of any amount of marijuana was a felony (it's not that way anymore). Of course, it was almost never prosecuted that way, but the felony classification gave us zero discretion on the street. One of our officers found a kid with a couple of doobies and had him field-strip them into a garbage dumpster in his presence. He got five days off for that.

The biggest factor here is how much discretion the officer's employer allows him. Some have no-tolerance policies, and for others it's a very low priority. If you're concerned with what might happen to you if you get caught with marijuana, my advice is to not get caught with marijuana. Not being in possession of any is the surest way to avoid being found in possession.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Most of the time it is a simple Misd. here.Unless it is packaged seperately for resale or a 2nd offense for the perp then it is a felony.I usually arrest for the Mara.Poss.Get alot of good info out of a little bit of pot.
            FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Depends. Simple possession can be cited and released or arrested. Most of the time, I'll take the time to arrest you...I'm silly like that.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Here, not only will it get you locked up, but you better hope its not on the road. State law says I can take your car (or you moms minivan or dads only transportation to work..whatever you are are driving). Its friday and you just cashed your paycheck and have cash in your wallet? Thats mine too...Your vehicle and cash will be seized.

Now try explaining to mommy and daddy that not only were arrested for 'a little pot', but that you cost them their car in a drug seizure and the $50 bucks worth of pot you had on you cost you whatever cash you had on you.....oh, and your friends cash too.

Yeah.....Good Times.

Comment

For me it's a question of whether I'm forwarding charges to the DA or arresting on the spot. I don't give verbal warnings on drugs.

Comment

unlawful possession

In the great liberal state of New York up to 25 grams is a non custodial arrest with the issuance of an appearance ticket roadside. If a fine is paid it is usually about $100 with no criminal history generated. Most are pled in court down to an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (ACD). So come on up to NY and enjoy your weed, but don't get caught speeding though, as that penalty will be much more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by swazo View Post
                      For less than 28grams?

Depends. I'm vehemently against drugs so I'm not opposed to harsh penalties. However, I would look at the totality of the circumstances. If it were a kid's first time who I thought (I worked with kids for years) would have parents that cared then most likely I'd call them in. If not, I'd refer to the whole family to the juvenile authorities. If it were a second offense or more on any kid then I'd refer to juvenile. Sadly, juvenile wouldn't do anything. They never do here....

If it were an adult, I'd take them to jail.

Comment

to jail... even if only paraphinila

Comment

Originally posted by lewy15 View Post
                          to jail... even if only paraphinila
                          My State crime lab won't test parpahanila. They're too busy.

I don't have any preconcieved notions. I always like to give the dope smoker a chance to "cooperate" with me before busting him...waiting for the crime lab to come back before making the charges.

A joint, I might tear it up. Nothing is going to happen to him in court, and it's hardly worth the time to show up for a plea. If the guy has a lot to lose, he might make a good snitch.
                          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

#1 - It's spelled paraphernalia.

#2 - If I decide to arrest for someone for simple possession of marijuana and/or paraphernalia, if they meet certain criteria, they will be let go with a misdemeanor citation.

If I can't get a valid ID of them, they have prior Fail To Appear's (FTA's) or other circumstances exist, then they will be transported to jail.

Over 1/2 oz of marijuana in TN is a felony anyway, so 28 grams would be an automatic trip to jail. We can exercise some discretion on misdemeanors, but not felonies.

I don't see marijuana as a serious crime in most cases (unless DUI-related), but I have a job to do. Just because some look at it as menial, doesn't mean that none won't enforce it.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

thank god i live in canada then.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5566 users online. 309 members and 5257 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X