Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Situation... I need advice (long)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Situation... I need advice (long)

I have a friend, who in my opinion, is a smart and talented person. Looking at them you would think they were your average 21 year old who's happy and has lots of friends and is content with their job and going to school. However being closer to this person then most others I know a lot of this to be an act. I know they are going through a rough time right now and due to a variety of stressers have only been sleeping 3 hours a night and have been a little snappy lately. Knowing this did not prepare me for what I was about to find out. I discovered a notebook in the back of my SUV. I assumed it was their because the contents of my friends backpack was scattered everywhere the night before when I nailed the brakes to avoid a deer.

The notebook had the letters SBC written on the front and at the time their meaning wasn't apparent to me. Being curious I opened it up (I'm stupid and nosey) and I found it chocked full of various information, news clippings and photos. Basically the information was regarding a local police officer and his family. It contained his address, phone number, email, names of the kids schools, etc. There was pages of what seemed to be the comings and goings of the family. It looks like my friend goes by the house 6-12 times a day and writes down the date, time, which vehicles are parked there, whether the officer is home, etc. I also found several photos of the house and cars owned by the officer glued in the notebook. From what I can figure out my friend is planning an SBC by holding a cops wife hostage. I know they would never intentionally hurt anyone but they truly believe they would be better off dead. I'm not sure they would ever get the nerve to go ahead with their plans but if they do and I suspected it could I be held responsible? (yes I know I sound horrible trying to save my own a**)

Even if they don't go through with it I'm worried they will, at the very least, get arrested for stalking. I'm at a loss with what to do with the information I know. Obviously I don't want my friend to get into trouble but I also don't want to be liable for something like this. I understand the whole situation sounds weird but I'm really confused as to what to do about it and what I should do with the notebook. Honestly I dont want to give the notebook back but I dont think having it in my posession is a good idea either. Any advise or knowledge of stalking laws , or any other pertinent laws would be apreciated.

Originally posted by hlonv View Post
    I have a friend, who in my opinion, is a smart and talented person. Looking at them you would think they were your average 21 year old who's happy and has lots of friends and is content with their job and going to school. However being closer to this person then most others I know a lot of this to be an act. I know they are going through a rough time right now and due to a variety of stressers have only been sleeping 3 hours a night and have been a little snappy lately. Knowing this did not prepare me for what I was about to find out. I discovered a notebook in the back of my SUV. I assumed it was their because the contents of my friends backpack was scattered everywhere the night before when I nailed the brakes to avoid a deer.

The notebook had the letters SBC written on the front and at the time their meaning wasn't apparent to me. Being curious I opened it up (I'm stupid and nosey) and I found it chocked full of various information, news clippings and photos. Basically the information was regarding a local police officer and his family. It contained his address, phone number, email, names of the kids schools, etc. There was pages of what seemed to be the comings and goings of the family. It looks like my friend goes by the house 6-12 times a day and writes down the date, time, which vehicles are parked there, whether the officer is home, etc. I also found several photos of the house and cars owned by the officer glued in the notebook. From what I can figure out my friend is planning an SBC by holding a cops wife hostage. I know they would never intentionally hurt anyone but they truly believe they would be better off dead. I'm not sure they would ever get the nerve to go ahead with their plans but if they do and I suspected it could I be held responsible? (yes I know I sound horrible trying to save my own a**)

Even if they don't go through with it I'm worried they will, at the very least, get arrested for stalking. I'm at a loss with what to do with the information I know. Obviously I don't want my friend to get into trouble but I also don't want to be liable for something like this. I understand the whole situation sounds weird but I'm really confused as to what to do about it and what I should do with the notebook. Honestly I dont want to give the notebook back but I dont think having it in my posession is a good idea either. Any advise or knowledge of stalking laws , or any other pertinent laws would be apreciated.
    You duty at this point, and I again stress, your duty, is to take the information to your local law enforcement agency. It's quite possible, that in doing so, you may save the lives of the Officer and his family. It is not your job to second guess, or analyse the motives/qualities of your friends. You state you're worried about getting him into trouble. THAT would by far, be the lessor of two evils. At this point, you need to ask yourself: What if the your buddy carrys out the scenario you described? You will have incurred serious moral culpability, and quite possibly, legal culpability as well.

Comment

Would you rather he be arrested for stalking or would you rather he be arrested for something much more serious down the road and possibly killed? How is your conscience going to be if something does happen according to his plot? This is basically a no-brainer when you think it out, right?

Don't worry about the arrest. If he's out of his gourd he may end up getting the treatment he needs and be done with it. Indiana, at least, has Immediate Detention which is something like an arrest but the person goes to mental health instead of jail. I am not saying that is what will or will not happen here, just letting you know that their are options.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

No matter how you present it, the fact is your friend is in serious trouble. Whatever his motives the situation he apparently plans to put himself in is dangerous at best, and fatal to himself and others, at worst. My recommendation,like the others, is to notify the PD in question IMMEDIATELY. Inform them of the other intangibles (no sleep,etc.) so they can handle the situation appropriately. While you may think the police will only jail him for stalking a cop's family, and that particular officer may want just that, the fact is "The System" is more realistic (to a point) and realizes this guy has problems that a short term solution (like detention) isn't the answer and will (should?) mandate a long term answer. From what you've described, if he was here in Az. he would be put in a psych ward for eval. and posssibly that would be a start to some long term treatment for his problems. Since youstepped into this whole problem, do him--and others---a favor and notify the authorities......... GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by hlonv View Post

First, what is "SBC" ? It looks bad whatever it is.

Do you know a cop? If so tell him or her. If not, go to the police station and tell someone there. They'll investigate it. In the end, everyone will be better off. Keep the notebook and take it with you. In fact, keep it. I'm ordering you to. Granted, you're not in Arkansas, I assume, but act like you are, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            First, what is "SBC" ? It looks bad whatever it is.
            "Suicide By Cop."

This is obviously a very heavy situation. PLEASE do as these officers have advised you, and report it to the local authorities.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5463 users online. 306 members and 5157 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X