Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph test

Hello all,

I recently went thru all the phases to get on a police force. It is a federal position. Everything went well my backround was perfectly clean and everything. Then the time came for the polygraph. I was fine until they asked the question "have you ever sold illegal drugs?". I flagged it. I honestly have never sold drugs once in my life barely ever even seen them, but I got really anxious for some reason and it kept showing up. I also flagged it for hiding information on visiting mental doctors. I then explained I saw a doctor for anxiety before and I truly did forget to mention that beforehand. After that I had my psych exam and it went fairly well except for I mentioned I had been diagnosed with ADD in Highschool and took medication for it. Are any of these instances going to be major "showstoppers" for me in your opinion?

-guy with his fingers crossed

Depends on what the polygrapher puts.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I don't believe in the use of polygraphs. In fact, I oppose them. If they're not admissable in court then one must believe that they can't be 100% efficacious. Additionally, I was reading a research finding a while back that stated polygraphs are not reliable. Of course, one can do research to prove nearly anything, but the cummulative evidence suggests, along with this new report, that they are not accurate. I'd leave my job before I took one.

Comment

That sucks, and I'm truly sorry if you lose the opportunity if you are otherwise qualified.

The Federation of American Scientists, the American Pyschological Association, and the National Academy of Science have all stated a lack of faith in the polygraph.

I can only advise that you research the poygraph before you take it next time. It's a test and just like any test the more you understand the process the less stress you will feel going into it.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by bruinsfan View Post
          I also flagged it for hiding information on visiting mental doctors. I then explained I saw a doctor for anxiety before and I truly did forget to mention that beforehand. After that I had my psych exam and it went fairly well except for I mentioned I had been diagnosed with ADD in Highschool and took medication for it.
          Anxiety and ADD, with meds prescribed yet you "truly" forgot to mention it when asked about it? Riiiiiigggghhhhttttt. Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
            Anxiety and ADD, with meds prescribed yet you "truly" forgot to mention it when asked about it? Riiiiiigggghhhhttttt. Good luck with that.
            I think maybe he meant that those were two seperate issues. Anxiety isn't ADD. I could be wrong though And revival of a dead thread hehehe *IT'S ALIVE!!*
            I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) means you cannot single task, your mind wonders to other areas. Durng a polygraph if your mind wonders to an area that would be exciting to you, you would show deception to that questions in most cases.

Polygraph has never been advertised as 100% correct, in field studies it comes in over the 90% mark. In preemployment areas we have over 80% mark. If a specific exam is conducted regarding the question showing deception we again go well over the 90% Mark.

The studies cited in a previous post were studies of selected studies, and excluded many excellent studies by highly qualifed PHD's in the polygraph research. They included numerous studies of PHD's opposed to polygraph. It is here to stay.

Researching it for purposes of passing can cause problems because you do not understand the research. Just tell the truth and let it go.
              Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

They're good for initial screening, but I highly doubt the 90% figures, which no doubt come from polygraphists. It's in their interest to make you believe the machine is infallible (they say the machine is infallible, the 10% is operator error) because if you believe in them polygraphys ARE way more effective.

But a lot of people beat them...Aldrich Ames with the CIA, and that Navy guy and his son who were selling secrets to the Russians. John Walker, and John Jr, I think. In each case, they beat the poly for years.

I imagine that's why they're not allowable as evidence.
                "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

You named three persons that were succesful in defeating polygraph. That is not a large number. And the 10% is not examiner error in most cases. I don't know where you get your statistics from, they are incorrect. Polygraph is a combination of psychology, physiology, instrumentation, and examiner quality.

There are errors, in my opinion about 10% when conducted according to approved standards by ASTM and approved by the APA and AAPP. Quality research has improved methodolgy for examiatons.

If you believe that polygraph is not allowed in court, you are very uneducated regarding recent decisions in numerous states. I have testifed on many occasions, and will again in the future. New Mexico has admitted polygraph for several years, at least since 1992 and prior I believe.

On decision by the US Supreme Court established new rules for admisibility of expert testimony. Check your facts before stating them as facts. It is a fact that polygraph is more accurate than eye witness testimony, check the research on that one.

Your point of view is appreciated and I know you are convinced that polygraph is nothing more than a ruse, why would law enforcement agencies use it for the purposes it is used if that were factual.

I have spoken enough on this subject, and will allow others to state thier opinions without further argument.
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Well, before I was hired where I am, I took polygraphs at other agencies.

One told my I triggered for prostitution and another told me I triggered for cocaine.

I have never had contact with either. These experiences put a lot of doubt in my mind as to the validity of the machines, and causes concern about their use being such a factor in employment.

The same with psych exams. One Dr. says a set of answers disqualifies a person. When contested, a second Dr. says the answers are acceptable. Why does such a equivocal exam have so much weight in hiring.

Comment

Polygraph Test

At the end of the day, the great majority of LE agencies use the Polygraph as part of the applicant screening process. While the debate as to accuracy, admissability in court, etc, will no doubt continue,the Polygraph has pretty well established itself as an investigative tool. It will remain an integral part of the applicant screening process for the forseeable future. This being the case, applicants visiting with us need to know that. They also need to know, that in all probablity, they'll be required to take a Polygraph exam.

Comment

Except in the states that are prohibited by law from using the poly as part of the employment process.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          Except in the states that are prohibited by law from using the poly as part of the employment process.
                          Point well taken. That said, we're addressing a fairly large, even international audience. In a jurisdiction where polygraph exams are prohibited, or not administered, it's not a concern for applicants.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4279 users online. 226 members and 4053 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X