300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Cubans

I just read the article about Governor Schwarzenager smoking a Cuban Cigar in Canada, and he caught a bunch of flak from the media over it. The article said that it was illegal for Americans anywhere to purchase and smoke a cuban. I have done so twice, once while on a cruise in Jamaica, and once while on a vacation to Mexico. As small a deal as I imagine this being, is this something that would pose as an obstacle when applying to a career in law enforcement? Should I even mention this to a background investigator? Thanks, as small as this seems, it kind of worries me...
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

They are banned from the U.S. (through the embargo with Cuba). But you can smoke them in another country. I bought one on a cruise to the Bahamas. You have NOTHING to worry about.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Great, thanks!
      "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
      RLTW

Comment

It's only a trade/import law. Smoke all the Cubans you want out of the country.

My SIL went on a cruise to the Bahamas and brought me back a cigar. I didn't look closely at it when she gave it to me. I pulled it out later and saw on the band it was Cuban. I was horrified.

I did what any good, law abiding officer would do: I got rid of it. Since I wanted to make sure that no one would ever pull it out of the trash and thus break the law by possessing it, I decided to make sure I destroyed it completely.

The only way I could think of destroying it was to burn it. It wouldn't stay on fire after being lit, so I had no choice but to put my mouth on it and suck air through it to keep it burning (thus inadvertently getting smoke in my lungs/mouth; very, very nice tasting smoke). I kept this up for a good 20 minutes or so until I was convinced it was completely destroyed. I then disposed of the butt knowing I had done my duty as a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
          It's only a trade/import law. Smoke all the Cubans you want out of the country.

My SIL went on a cruise to the Bahamas and brought me back a cigar. I didn't look closely at it when she gave it to me. I pulled it out later and saw on the band it was Cuban. I was horrified.

I did what any good, law abiding officer would do: I got rid of it. Since I wanted to make sure that no one would ever pull it out of the trash and thus break the law by possessing it, I decided to make sure I destroyed it completely.

The only way I could think of destroying it was to burn it. It wouldn't stay on fire after being lit, so I had no choice but to put my mouth on it and suck air through it to keep it burning (thus inadvertently getting smoke in my lungs/mouth; very, very nice tasting smoke). I kept this up for a good 20 minutes or so until I was convinced it was completely destroyed. I then disposed of the butt knowing I had done my duty as a police officer.
          I would've helped you destroy any other ones that you may have had in your possession

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Smoking Cubans

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
            I just read the article about Governor Schwarzenager smoking a Cuban Cigar in Canada, and he caught a bunch of flak from the media over it. The article said that it was illegal for Americans anywhere to purchase and smoke a cuban. I have done so twice, once while on a cruise in Jamaica, and once while on a vacation to Mexico. As small a deal as I imagine this being, is this something that would pose as an obstacle when applying to a career in law enforcement? Should I even mention this to a background investigator? Thanks, as small as this seems, it kind of worries me...
            It ain't even close to being an issue. How was the cigar?

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
              God bless you brother. You did the right thing. But I'm not prepared to see anyone else take the risk that jak did. If you come into contact with this filthy contraband, post them to and I'll take the bullet for you guys. No need to thank me.
              I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Smoking Cubans

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
                God bless you brother. You did the right thing. But I'm not prepared to see anyone else take the risk that jak did. If you come into contact with this filthy contraband, post them to and I'll take the bullet for you guys. No need to thank me.
                Yes, that IS commendable devotion to duty, isn't it? And you, our British colleague, are to be commended for your generous offer. Take care, Cockney.

Comment

I smoked them when I was in Europe and when I was in the ME........and no one has busted my butt for it when applying for a job.....

I did have one guy play 20 questions with me about how good they were....as he was planning a trip to Europe with his family and was going to aquire one or two for his enjoyment while he was there....

Comment

well, if i ever come across a Cuban Cigar I will do my duty as a law abiding citizen and hand it over to a law enforcement officer
                    RLTW

Comment

Its all about location. When I was 18, I went to Montreal and went to the bars. When I was 19, I went on a carribean cruise and legally drank alcohol out in International Water. But as soon as you go back on to US soil, No booze til 21..

So when you use products, such as cubans, or alcohol, your location is all that matters.

So, go enjoy a cuban if you can legally, and it will not come up during a BI.

Goodluck to you!

Comment

Deleted by poster - Wrong forum, sorry.
                        Last edited by Operator13; 06-03-2007, 01:39 AM. Reason: Didn't realize it was Ask A Cop Forum
                        "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                        09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

For the sake of discussion, my understanding is it is a "trading with the enemy" issue and not an import restriction. I have seen several sources that indicate it is illegal for a US citizen to buy Cuban products, even in a foreign country. I too have smoked many Cuban cigars, and I was never arrested for it, and I doubt anybody will be arrested for buying some Cuban cigars abroad. But as far as the letter of the law, my understanding is that it is still illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by jnhdrac View Post
                            For the sake of discussion, my understanding is it is a "trading with the enemy" issue and not an import restriction. I have seen several sources that indicate it is illegal for a US citizen to buy Cuban products, even in a foreign country. I too have smoked many Cuban cigars, and I was never arrested for it, and I doubt anybody will be arrested for buying some Cuban cigars abroad. But as far as the letter of the law, my understanding is that it is still illegal.
                            Not totally disputing your information, but even as we speak, there is a delegation from the State of Alabama in Havana, seeking to expand trade with Fidel. Arguably, some of those folks should be in jail, but that's a different matter. Trade, suggests to me, that we'll have to buy some Cuban products in order to do a deal. Personal feeling, but I really think trade with Cuba will happen sooner than later.Small volume to begin with, then growing with time. I'm going to shut up now, "cause" this really ain't a LE subject.

Comment

If I can get my hands on a Cuban (such as our upcoming Caribbean cruise in December), I'll smoke it. It could very well be a fake, and I am hardly qualified to make the determination that is a genuine Cuban product.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2358 users online. 170 members and 2188 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X