300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor in Possession

What is your response to officer's through probable cause entering private home, displaying force because the party-goers had alcohol in possession. The officers took pics of the alcohol but forgot to seize the unopened containers and the minors continued to drink. Wouldn't that be considered under law of contributing to minors?

no........
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Ok would you say that at the very least the law enforcement made a bad judgment call?

Comment

Minor In Possession

Originally posted by concerned MADD View Post
        Ok would you say that at the very least the law enforcement made a bad judgment call?
        What you seem to want us to do,is second guess Officers in a situation we know next to nothing about. Personally, I'm not going to do that. Give us a few, no, many more specifics, and maybe we'll take a look at them. On the basis of what you've posted so far, I'm not going make a call one way or the other.

Comment

Not asking you to second guess anyone. If the parents are out of town, the cops get called. All partygoers are 18 but only 2 are 21. Alcohol is found, I would gather as a parent and member of MADD, that the law enforcement would remove/confiscate/seize the illegal alcohol beverages from the youth at the very least.

As a parent and MADD member, I'm just trying to comprehend on what basis ANYONE would leave the minors with the alcohol.

Of course the minors thought it to be very funny, but I as a parent do not.

I'm sure the law enforcement would have had some accountability, at least to GOD, had one of those children that was happy the alcohol was left for them, got into a vehicle and killed someone or themselves.

As you can tell, I'm just unhappy that a bad decision was made, but extremely thankful that no one died.
          Last edited by concerned MADD; 06-02-2007, 02:32 PM. Reason: minors meaning under-age drinkers

Comment

See, what makes this so hard for me to read and not snap back at you is the attitude that I feel when I read your words. yes, it makes ME as a LEO defensive. I don't know why the officers left the alcohol on scene. I offer you this...why did the parents go out of town and leave alcohol where minors could access it? Why didn't those children know better? Why are LEO being held responsible for the breakdown of parenting and the events that occurred thereafter? We shouldn't have to babysit...why didn't the parents do THEIR job? Why isn't MADD placing this on the parents to START with? Why didn't those children know it was wrong to drink at 18?
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Your OP and follow up post's leave alot to be desired in the specifics area.

I know of large metro areas whose call loads are to heavy to insert a 3 hour MIP party between 3 shootings, 6 robberies, and 2 rapes plus the DV's and other associated sheenanigans of their shift. Violent felonies take precedent.
              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

In Kalifornia 25662(a) is a citeable misdemeanor, usually dismissed if cite recipient attends a $50 8-hour substance abuse class. Who on earth would book evidence for that? Maybe if you're working Mayberry and this will be your ONLY call of the night....

Sounds like the OP called the cops, and then got ****ed off that nothing was done. Sorry, we have other constraints and duties per shift than to worry about your 'entertainment-on-demand' snitch work.

EDJ
                "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                  Your OP and follow up post's leave alot to be desired in the specifics area.

I know of large metro areas whose call loads are to heavy to insert a 3 hour MIP party between 3 shootings, 6 robberies, and 2 rapes plus the DV's and other associated sheenanigans of their shift. Violent felonies take precedent.
                  We are not a large metro area, in fact more like Mayberry.. Sorry to hear you reside in an area that's so rough. Our LEO are lucky if they get called out once in the night.......In fact it's nice to be able to chat with them at our local 7-eleven store............It's nice that our community is so small for both us civilians and the LEO.....

Comment

LOL. I think it's hilarious that they forgot to pick it up. If it's contraband (the alcohol), and it would be if they're minors, then they can seize it without violating their rights.

Now there are some issues to examine. First, were they in a house in which the alcohol could have belonged to a parent? If so, it was lawfully there so perahps they did not seize it on such grounds. They may have only photographed it for documentation. Secondly, we must assume from your original post that they were there to seize it, and we can't assume that due to the first point I just made.

More deails are needed for the OP to make a valid point. However, what the officers did not do was furnish to minors.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                      In Kalifornia 25662(a) is a citeable misdemeanor, usually dismissed if cite recipient attends a $50 8-hour substance abuse class. Who on earth would book evidence for that? Maybe if you're working Mayberry and this will be your ONLY call of the night....

Sounds like the OP called the cops, and then got ****ed off that nothing was done. Sorry, we have other constraints and duties per shift than to worry about your 'entertainment-on-demand' snitch work.

EDJ
                      Neighbor called cops then complained about the cops behavior after they arrived. You may have other constraints and duties but our town is like Mayberry, our LEO are lucky if they get one call a night.

Our town is small town and much different than the city.

Sorry that your workload is so heavy and difficult. By the tone of your words, I'm thankful that I live in a very small town.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                        LOL. I think it's hilarious that they forgot to pick it up. If it's contraband (the alcohol), and it would be if they're minors, then they can seize it without violating their rights.

Now there are some issues to examine. First, were they in a house in which the alcohol could have belonged to a parent? If so, it was lawfully there so perahps they did not seize it on such grounds. They may have only photographed it for documentation. Secondly, we must assume from your original post that they were there to seize it, and we can't assume that due to the first point I just made.

More deails are needed for the OP to make a valid point. However, what the officers did not do was furnish to minors.
                        It's contraband and the alcohol did not belong to the parents of the home, but rather bought by the attendees. I was not the parent who called the police, the neighbor did.

With regards to the parenting skills, the children are all 18yrs old, have jobs, drive cars, etc. Our skills are over, are control is over and now they belong to society as adult citizens. The only recourse that the parent could hope for was that they would get in trouble for breaking the law, which I believe the responsibility belongs to a LEO.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67738

Comment

Concerned MADD, since you ignored my response, let me try one more time. I asked you point blank what responsibility the parents have in either failing to raise the children correctly or leaving alcohol in the home where the minors can access it. I see that you briefly touched on that in response to another poster...in addition, in your response you used the word "our" which leads me to believe that these children that were caught underage are in fact, your children. So let me direct yet another question at you...why are we (LEO) responsible for raising your children? Why are we babysitting while you're out of town? I can ask all these questions and you and I can go tit for tat, but what it's going to boil down to is you're another citizen that wants to blame LE for your child's shortcomings. And I'm another LEO that is disappointed by the apparant lack of parents in our society to accept responsibility for their child's actions...it's the pass the buck mentality that stinks here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by concerned MADD View Post
                              Not asking you to second guess anyone. If the parents are out of town, the cops get called. All partygoers are 18 but only 2 are 21.

Uhmmm 21 good to have the alcohol. If they claimed it, it's theirs and legal.
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3116 users online. 175 members and 2941 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X