Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy = Marine Corps boot camp?

Hi,

From reading some of the posts here I'm getting the feeling that LE academy is similar to Marine Corps boot camp. Could some former Marines please break it down for me? Thanks

Cpl Frame USMC / IRR

Marine Corps Boot Camp

Originally posted by Lojack View Post
    Hi,

From reading some of the posts here I'm getting the feeling that LE academy is similar to Marine Corps boot camp. Could some former Marines please break it down for me? Thanks

Cpl Frame USMC / IRR
    Cpl Frame, there is quite a bit of truth in the comparison between many LE Academies and MCRD. This is especially true in regards to virtually every State Police /Highway Patrol Academy. It is also true with regard to many large City/County Police Academies. The academics will be considerably more intense, but everything else will be very reminiscent of your MCRD time. Semper Fi.

Comment

Mine wasn't anywhere close to the Marines. Mine was more like junior high.

Comment

I work for the biggest department in my state and my academy experience does not come anywhere close to even being on the same planet as Boot Camp. The academy tried to play the game for a day or so but even then it was just a joke. Plus, the police academy couldn't cuss or touch us whereas my DI's at Parris Island told us they couldn't do those things either...right before they went ahead and did them anyways. The academy was too touchy feely.
        I was very disappointed in my academy experience in that it was just way too soft for my liking. The academics and physical training were both miles apart from Boot Camp. The academics mainly because we had so much time to study on our own in the academy versus at Parris Island, you had little to no time to study in peace away from the ever watching eyes of the DI. Of course the physical part was even worse in the academy. We did a very small amount of running and actual physical work, instead just a lot of standing around.

Comment

You're going to find a huge variation in the format of police academies. Your best shot is to figure out where you want to/are likely to go, then look in the appropriate state forum and see if there's anyone there who has attended/is attending there. Police academies are not created equal. I would second what PhillipCal said in regard to state police/highway patrol academies. They tend to be the closest to the military model.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

As Tim said....it all depends on where you go.

I know around where I came from (Missouri) we had the Highway Patrol that was extremely hard-core Military style to the point they would run military folks off not wanting to deal with it again......all the way down to campus/school type settings that had PT in the morning and you had to be respectful of your instructors by calling them by their respective rank and last name......but no in your face stuff.....

My suggestion is to look around at the Agencies you are interested in....then ask questions.....

Comment

All these police academies can try and mimmick The Marines bootcamp if they like but there it is not the same. Not even close.

In the academy if you get ticked off with the instructors you suck it up or quit. In the Marines you best suck it up. Can't just quit. Trying to do so would have very bad consequences.

If you are released from the academy you go on with life. In the Marines that could mean a dishonorable, bad conduct, which could greatly effect the rest of your life. You sign a contract to get into the Marines and it is taken very seriously.

If you are lucky enough to join the Marines and graduate bootcamp then off to the fleet and quite probably combat. Law enforcement is a very tough and can be a depressing job but for the most part we get to come home every night and be with our family. For the most part.

In Marines bootcamp if you get throttled by a Drill Instructor you suck it up. You darn well better not hit back. In the academy that would be considered agg battery or battery.

The physical challenges of the academy pale in comparison to that of Marine Corps bootcamp. Not even close. Enough said.

While I think it is great that police academies want a more disciplined paramilitary style academy.......... It just isn't Marine Corps bootcamp.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                Mine wasn't anywhere close to the Marines. Mine was more like junior high.
                Agreed.

Comment

you should watch "the academy" on fox reality... it goes through LA Sheriff's Academy. and you can determine if it's like bootcamp. or watch LASD black monday's video on youtube

Comment

Really depends on the Academy. Some are like Jr High and some are a pretty good paramilitary model. PhilipCal hit it on the head pretty well. I've attended 2 different academies and both were tough. Both were modeled after Military Boot Camp and both really resembeled USMC style training.

Now of course no Academy will ever have the yellow footprints, but they do model themselves after it within reason. And as I have experienced, They love jarheads. (What's not to love?)

Looking toward FHP? Anyhow good luck either way, don't stress it, you've been yelled at by better and meaner, and study hard. Semper Fi!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4358 users online. 223 members and 4135 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X