300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I am a NYS certified Peace Officer in NY. I am also Qualified in Firearms and OC spray. In NYS a Peace Officer has the same powers of a Police officer with the exception of making a arrest through a warrant. I was wondering if there is a dept out there anywhere in the country that looks at that in a positive way and help my chances of becoming a full time Police Officer.

Thanks
    Tom

I don't see how that power could have any effect on you becoming a police officer. Just continue to do a good job and let your work record speak for itself. If you haven't been to college, start picking up a few classes.

Comment

Question

Originally posted by Tfsgroi View Post
      I am a NYS certified Peace Officer in NY. I am also Qualified in Firearms and OC spray. In NYS a Peace Officer has the same powers of a Police officer with the exception of making a arrest through a warrant. I was wondering if there is a dept out there anywhere in the country that looks at that in a positive way and help my chances of becoming a full time Police Officer.

Thanks
      Tom
      Tom. I can only answer your question from an Alabama perspective. The terms, Peace Officer, and Police Officer, are essentially interchangeable in this state. They apply equally to any Peace Officer/Police Officer, regardless of whether that Officer is a Trooper, Game Warden, Deputy Sheriff, Municipal Police Officer, or University Police Officer. This is only a guess, but the inability to execute a warrant as a "Peace Officer" must be an quirk in New York law.I'd suggest you do a little personal research with your state's POST.

Comment

As long as you have a good work record, I think the NYS peace officer job would work in your favor in the same way that being a corrections officer or other criminal justice occupation would. You're getting experience in the field, and that experience counts for something. The operative term here is good work record. If you mess up, you're probably worse off than if you hadn't had that position at all.

New York is one of the few states - maybe the only one - that makes that "peace officer" distinction. Elsewhere, a peace officer is a generic term for anyone with arrest powers, ability to serve warrants, and exemption from most firearms laws. Police officers are peace officers, deputy sheriffs are peace officers, marshals are peace officers, etc. The law may restrict the peace officer powers to a geographic area or to only while the officer is on duty, but when the powers apply, they apply equally. Firearms policies, obviously, vary with the agency and the situation. A corrections deputy who is a peace officer isn't going to be armed when he's working in the jail, but neither will a patrol deputy who is booking a prisoner.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Tfsgroi.......It would help if you attended an academy......Do you have a full academy experience to go along with your certifications?

Comment

Thanks
            Tom
            Where I work your experience would certainly be a good for the hiring process but you would still havve to complete the regular academy. I don't believe there would be a lateral option for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4508 users online. 246 members and 4262 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X