Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best police academy?

Hey guys,
    Yesterday at work some guys and I were talking about different police academys around California.
    I was saying San Bernardino Sheriffs academy was the best/ one of the hardest. Though I don't know that for sure. But I have heard several people say San Bernardino academy was voted one of the best in the past.
    The other guys were saying its nothing compared to Orange County Police academy. They said thats the hardest/best in California.
    So I was thinkin, why not post on here and see what you guys think?
    San Bernardino
    13.04%
    Orange County
    26.09%
    Other
    60.87%

I have no idea, but be aware that hardest doesn't automatically equate to best.

Comment

Of course this thread is going to be one of those, "Well, I heard." discussions.

Well, I heard it is
      CHP
      Long Beach City
      Los Angeles County
      Alameda County

Those are the latest rumor mill top four in physical and academic requirements.

Of course, that's just what I heard.

Plus, I am favored to my alma matter(Sp?) Alameda County
      Nemo me impune lacessit.

Comment

I think everyone here will tell you that whatever Academy they went to they were told was the best.

I have also "heard" from a few guys who have done both a county and NJSP academy said that the NJSP was alot tougher.

I agree with the last poster about harder does not mean better in any way.

I also think any kind of live in academy must be a tough time, I hated being screamed at all day, I could not imagine them coming in at 4am going ape-**** on me for not waking up

Comment

Having attended a live in Academy (NJSP), I can say that there are benefits that are not seen in a regular academic setting. The biggest advantage in my opinion, was the commaraderie with your fellow recruits. Study groups were readily available and you could stay focused. On the other hand, if you had a family that you had to leave behind, that could be a bit depressing. I also agree that "harder" means different things to different people. Athletes love physical challenges and academic minded folks prefer to be challenged intellectually. Either way, it's the quality of the staff and training cadre that makes or breaks a recruit.
          Jerry
          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

RIO HONDO is a HIGH STRESS Acadmey, I LOVE IT!!!!

Comment

yea this is gonna be a tough one.. you forgot border patrol academy too.. although i've never been, i "heard" it's tough, just like LASD,CHP, OCSD ,etc etc. i've seen video clips on youtube of academies in other states.. and some don't look quite as tough or difficult

Comment

Wow, a two option poll. What a choice.

I did not attend OCSD's academy, but I have seen it in action and when compared to others I have seen (LASD, LAPD, Rio Hondo, OCC, Etc.), OCSD's is hands down tougher. It might have something to do with the high-stress environment and the 10-1 recruit to staff ratio. When your academy class is only 30 or so deep, there is NO hiding anywhere.

I can't speak to this, but I would think a live-in academy would be more difficult...'cept maybe the CHP's live-in. I mean, they do traffic, right?

FWIW,

EDJ
                "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                  Wow, a two option poll. What a choice.

I did not attend OCSD's academy, but I have seen it in action and when compared to others I have seen (LASD, LAPD, Rio Hondo, OCC, Etc.), OCSD's is hands down tougher. It might have something to do with the high-stress environment and the 10-1 recruit to staff ratio. When your academy class is only 30 or so deep, there is NO hiding anywhere.

I can't speak to this, but I would think a live-in academy would be more difficult...'cept maybe the CHP's live-in. I mean, they do traffic, right?

FWIW,

EDJ
                  I think the live in academy definitely has its pluses like someone else mentioned. You don't have to stress out about waking up on time and fighting traffic. It would be harder though, if you have a family. I've never seen OCSD's academy. I've been told its very similiar to LASD's academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                    ...I've never seen OCSD's academy. I've been told its very similiar to LASD's academy.
                    I've seen both, went through one. OCSD's is a wee bit tougher, and then there's the added factor of the tighter staff-to-recruit ratio allowing for *much* more one-on-one attention. Usually that's a bad thing, lol!

EDJ
                    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3157 users online. 143 members and 3014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X