300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing lights but no siren

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't people still suppose to pull over or atleast get out of the way of police cars with flashing lights.

Yesterday when I was going to a doctor appointment there was an accident near the freeway. There was already two OPD cops but then as I was driving further. I saw a CHP with the cruisers lights flashing. The person in front of the CHP cruiser just sat there and didn't get out of their way. They were also stopped at a light.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

They should have pulled to the right, but a lot of people just don't watch their rearview mirrors.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Don't know about everywhere else but in Texas you are truly not an authorized emergency vehicle unless you are operating with your visual and audio equipment. Still, there are other reasons for running Code 2, so as not to scare off a suspect and yes, that person still should have yeilded.
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I am in California,sorry I should've stated that. Oh well....
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

Indiana says lights OR siren.

Comment

yes, they should have moved over...

you'd be surprised how many don't pay attention to their rear views OR
            sitting there scared, not knowing what to do or being the first car in the intersection on a red light - not wanting to move until it's green for fear of a citation...
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

They are supposed to pull over but it's no surprise they didn't. Just another driver with head up [email protected]#

A couple blows of the air horn wakes up most people but not always.

I was running code to a rollover crash once and some guy must have thought I was trying to stop him. He went even faster and was clearly running....always wonder what he was running for.

Comment

Yeah...sounds to me like the driver just wasn't paying attention..which is why we use both lights and sirens (if possible)

Comment

In Illinois lights or sirens.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                    Don't know about everywhere else but in Texas you are truly not an authorized emergency vehicle unless you are operating with your visual and audio equipment. Still, there are other reasons for running Code 2, so as not to scare off a suspect and yes, that person still should have yeilded.
                    Um... look in the Transportation code again... it never specifies that, it says you have the Discretion to, not required
                    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeCop501 View Post
                      Um... look in the Transportation code again... it never specifies that, it says you have the Discretion to, not required
                      Actually, in regards to the original posters situation......we are required to use only audible for compliance (TRC 545.156).

Comment

BBB

CHP often uses their "excuse me" lights ...this is the yellow and blue visible in the back window.

Unless they are driving code three (Lights and siren) the person in front has no idea.

Often times drivers don't hear the siren because the car is traveling faster than the siren...if that makes sense.
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Per the California Vehicle Code:

21806. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency
                          vehicle which is sounding a siren and which has at least one lighted
                          lamp exhibiting red light that is visible, under normal atmospheric
                          conditions, from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the
                          vehicle, the surrounding traffic shall, except as otherwise directed
                          by a traffic officer, do the following:

(a) (1) Except as required under paragraph (2), the driver of
                          every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall
                          immediately drive to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway,
                          clear of any intersection, and thereupon shall stop and remain
                          stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
                          Last edited by 23109; 05-30-2007, 11:35 PM. Reason: Forgot the a section !

Comment

In Michigan lights or siren you are to yield the right of way.
                            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                              BBB

CHP often uses their "excuse me" lights ...this is the yellow and blue visible in the back window.

Unless they are driving code three (Lights and siren) the person in front has no idea.

Often times drivers don't hear the siren because the car is traveling faster than the siren...if that makes sense.
                              The CHP cruiser had its blue and clear light flashing. The car was waiting at the light with the CHP cruiser sitting behind it. But that is all I saw since I was driving the opposite direction.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5322 users online. 301 members and 5021 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X