300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet/Cardio worries in Academy

Seems a lot of other people failed the psych test so now I'm slated for the police academy this August. I do have some worries regarding my diet and the cardio aspect of the academy.

I'm female, 5'3, 110lbs. When I ate healthy (as in, no junk food), I became underweight. My doctor put me on a diet that helped me gain weight, but I noticed today that a 3 mile run (roughly 360 calories) is nearly 1/3 of my caloric intake. Even with my doctor's diet, I'm struggling to keep on weight, and the only way I'm actually able to keep it on is to eat junk food due to how small my stomach is.
    I was reading that some academies have you running 4-5 miles a day, and that worries me because that will be nearly half of my caloric intake in exercise, and I'm afraid that I'll end up underweight by the end of the month. I don't think my doctor understands how my metabolism works (he's a senior and seems to think I'm still in highschool despite being 23).
    • Is there any recommendation to keep weight on during cardio?
    • How far did they have you running a day?
    • Do you know the mph on average they had you run?
    I'm great at distance running but without the necessary calories and short stature, I'm unsure.
    Last edited by GLaDOS; 07-29-2020, 01:12 PM.

I imagine that you will eat more if you are burning more calories. Is this a residential academy or not? Have you seen another doctor, or maybe a nutritionist?

Comment

I'd see a sport nutritionist. There are high-calorie supplements people take for weight gain that might be helpful, here are some recipes for home made shakes:

https://www.katelymannutrition.com/b...oothie-recipes

There are also numerous commercial mass-gain mixes:

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-...t/serious-mass

Drinking a lot of your calories can be a way around the small stomach problem... and it doesn't even have to be unhealthy.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• GLaDOS
        GLaDOS commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your response. I did not know there was such thing as a sports nutritionist! I've an appointment set up and hopefully this will help. Thank you for the links to shakes as well, I will try those out. =)

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
      I'd see a sport nutritionist. There are high-calorie supplements people take for weight gain that might be helpful, here are some recipes for home made shakes:

https://www.katelymannutrition.com/b...oothie-recipes

There are also numerous commercial mass-gain mixes:

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-...t/serious-mass

Drinking a lot of your calories can be a way around the small stomach problem... and it doesn't even have to be unhealthy.
      I agree..............see someone in the field who knows what they are talking about
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You only eat 1000 calories/day?

Comment

Yeah, get more professional help. You're absolutely not gonna be able to maintain 110 pounds on only 1,000 calories a day- you'll end up in the E.R. and losing your job. I'm not an expert at sports nutrition, but you'll probably need more protein to repair all the muscle fiber you'll be tearing down, a LOT more carbs to fuel the running, and it will probably add up to something a lot closer to 3,000 calories a day. You should skip the junk food- you just need to eat a lot more of the healthy stuff. And you may need to split it up into as many as 6 meals a day. You might even need to get up during the night to eat.

I'm glad you're already running 3 miles a day. That's a great start.

Have you had your stride analyzed by a competent running store and had them put you in the right shoes? Running injuries can be painful and slow to heal. Make sure your running shoes are large and loose enough- most runners run in shoes about a size and a half bigger than their street shoes. Running shoes that are not large and loose enough, can cause serious problems on longer runs. If you have to untie them to put them on or take them off, you have a problem. They should fit just close enough that they don't fly off your feet when you run.

What is your 1.5 mile time? A lot of departments use that as a benchmark of your running performance. Never mind what they say the time goal is- that's just to get your foot in the door. You'll need to really step it up from there. I did not have a background in running, and my 1.5 mile run was a 9:28, at age 44. If you can't do it in under 12 minutes, you need to step it up.

For that matter, what's your running pace on training runs? The rest of your academy will be punished with truly painful PT, until the slowest recruit catches up.

To answer your question, we ran up to 10 miles a day, five days a week, in hilly terrain, under the mid-day sun, in tropical heat. Not every academy is like that, but PT is part of the ongoing selection process, so if you want to keep your probationary position, you should be ready for the worst. Our head PT instructor was the SWAT team commander, who was an epic runner. He treated us like he thought he was training Navy SEALS- you need to be ready for that, in case you are subjected to what we were, because the alternative is unemployment.

To that end, hydration is a really big deal, especially as tiny as you are. I was shocked to learn that no matter how much water you drink, your body can only assimilate it up to a certain rate- however, the amount of water that you can sweat off is virtually unlimited- if it's hot enough, you can keel over from dehydration even with your stomach completely full of water. I had some close calls, but I avoided problems by hydrating like crazy 24 hours a day, and increased my sodium intake to retain more water (talk to a professional before you add sodium). Remember when I mentioned getting up during the night to eat? You won't need to set an alarm clock to do that, because your bladder will wake you up during the night when you have to pee, because you'll be drinking so much water. And don't forget to pound more water before you go back to bed. If your pee has color, you're not drinking enough water. And make sure to take a good multivitamin every day, because you'll be peeing off a lot of vitamins.

I would not recommend that you ramp up your training level to what we did, because you'd just be asking for a running injury at that point. But you should try out some occasional longer runs of 6 miles or more, in the hottest weather you're likely to encounter, to get a feel for what you need to do to stay hydrated.

Make sure that you try out whatever undergarments and/or personally-owned running gear that you'll be using, including your socks. Losing skin in uncomfortable places is bad enough, but soaking it in salty sweat and continuing to aggravate it on a daily basis, can be pretty demoralizing.

Keep your toenails trimmed short(ish) and filed smooth- if you are running in hilly terrain as much as we did, you can have toenails turn black and fall out, which is a slow, painful process, and they may not grow back correctly. Best to just avoid that.

This is not a little thing- our academy started with 22, and graduated 6, and keeling over during a daily training run was most of that attrition.

Because I was older, I took Ibuprofen and OTC joint supplements constantly. I also employed "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation). Ice shoud be on for 20 minutes to knock down the inflamation, and then off for 20 minutes to allow blood flow to heal you, then repeat as needed. I got pretty good at using ace bandages to hold ice packs to my knees under my dress uniform trousers in the classroom after PT.
          Last edited by Aidokea; 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

...and you didn't ask, but your Use Of Force continuum is going to have a completely different shape than the average 6-foot tall 200 pound male officer. You'll still have all the same steps, and the justifications will all still be the same, but you're never gonna want to stand there and go toe-to-toe with a large male. We may be able to get away with that stuff they teach during ADT, and you'll need to learn it during your academy, but when some drunk @$$#01e twice your size rips off his shirt and announces that he's gonna kick your @$$...just Tase him...
            Last edited by Aidokea; 08-02-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5580 users online. 326 members and 5254 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X