300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Alongs

I'm not too sure if this is the place to post this but I was wondering about taking a ride-along. I'm taking the Suffolk County P.D. exam coming up in June, I've been reading alot and thought " I should get to experience this hands on(well , sort of)". How would I go about putting in this request? Is there a long waiting period? Thanks.

BTW - Good luck to all taking the exam.

Just call the department your interested in, and ask to be connected to the person in charge. Its obviously going to be different from department to department. Some departments you go through Human Resources, and some go through the patrol LT. Least thats how its done where im from. No one specifically on here will be able to tell to you how to "get one", just call and find out.

When youre on your ride, ask good questions, try and get some valuable information about the department. dont point out a car you think should be stopped, dont try to hint to the officer you think he should be responding lights & siren if he's not, dont hog the arm rest. Have fun, be prepared, dress accordingly, and listen.

Comment

"dress accordingly"? Just curious to know what that meant. And thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by a_diaz2004 View Post
        "dress accordingly"? Just curious to know what that meant. And thanks for the info.
        No baggy jeans or FUBU gear Usually, a polo shirt and khakis or respectable blue jeans. You more than likely will not be getting out of the car at all on any traffic stops or calls, so do your best to observe from the squad car. Also, look at (but don't comment on) the age and condition of their squad gear (radios, computers, radar units, etc.). That will give you an idea if they have a decent budget for equipment and training. Fancy equipment isn't always the best thing in the world, but it's something to note.

As far as arranging a ride-along, call the department and tell them that you're in the hiring process and would like to get a firsthand look at what they do. Do a bit of research beforehand about the agency and the different units that they have.

Ask questions! Some people will tell you that there are no stupid questions. That's BS. Don't ask what their quota is (they don't exist), where they hide when they want some down time, if they've ever had to shoot someone, etc.

Good luck on the hiring process!
        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Dont wear a t-shirt, jeans ,or shorts Every ridealong I ever did, I wore a khaki pants, and a tucked in button down shirt. Wear some khaki's, a button shift, or even a good looking polo shirt, and you should be fine. Basicly what I meant by that is business casual. You wouldnt want to do a ride along in a suit. Theres not much room in the passenger seat, especially if there is a laptop computer. You want to be comfortable.

AHHHH one officer I work with said he had a civilian rider who just turned 18 this winter who wore a sweatshirt, they were dispatched to a car accident with personal injury and vehicle fire, and as soon as they arrived, this rider removes his sweatshirt, and his t-shirt says POLICE on the front and POLICE on the back. He got out and started directing traffic after being told to stay in the car. AND, this moreon had a set of cuffs hanging from his belt. As soon as more units arrived he got a one way trip back to the station and was told never ask to do one again. Then he started crying, Poor wannabee. If you do a search you can find other threads of other officers horror stories about ride alongs, with the do's and dont's. Some are pretty comical. Take it easy.

Comment

[quote=AHHHH one officer I work with said he had a civilian rider who just turned 18 this winter who wore a sweatshirt, they were dispatched to a car accident with personal injury and vehicle fire, and as soon as they arrived, this rider removes his sweatshirt, and his t-shirt says POLICE on the front and POLICE on the back. He got out and started directing traffic after being told to stay in the car. AND, this moreon had a set of cuffs hanging from his belt. As soon as more units arrived he got a one way trip back to the station and was told never ask to do one again. Then he started crying, Poor wannabee[/quote]

Wowwww hahaha That's too funny. Again, guys, thanks for all the help. I'm looking into it today.

Comment

Last edited by PhilosophyNerd; 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM. Reason: Not an LEO!
                "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

...............?

Comment

Originally posted by a_diaz2004 View Post
                    I'm not too sure if this is the place to post this but I was wondering about taking a ride-along. I'm taking the Suffolk County P.D. exam coming up in June, I've been reading alot and thought " I should get to experience this hands on(well , sort of)". How would I go about putting in this request? Is there a long waiting period? Thanks.

BTW - Good luck to all taking the exam.

Sure you should. It shows you what cops really do, it shows your interest, it gives you a little name cache and gets other cops used to seeing you. I never rode with the agency I'm with, and frankly it would have been akward as they were all strangers to me. However, riding is a great idea. Here to do it, you just call or show up, fill out a form saying you won't sue if you're killed, disturbed, or maimed, and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                      Sure you should. It shows you what cops really do, it shows your interest, it gives you a little name cache and gets other cops used to seeing you. I never rode with the agency I'm with, and frankly it would have been akward as they were all strangers to me. However, riding is a great idea. Here to do it, you just call or show up, fill out a form saying you won't sue if you're killed, disturbed, or maimed, and you're good to go.
                      There has got to be more to it than that right? Any yo-yo can get in with you? Don't they even do a crim. history check?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4629 users online. 287 members and 4342 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X