Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What bugs you the most about how cops are portrayed on tv shows?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crossroads King View Post
    Example Shows
    1. Law and Order
    2. NYPD Blue
    3. Hill Street Blues
    4. Chicago PD
    5. The Wire
    I don't know about TV, but as far as movies go, End Of Watch condenses an entire career down into a movie.

Retired LAPD Detective Sergeant Joseph Wambaugh also wrote a book that was subsequently turned into a movie- The Choir Boys. "Choir practice", as it is referred to, is a real thing- many officers have to wash their brains out with alcohol after getting off work at sunrise, before going home. Some officers do choir practice in bars, some do it at an officer's residence, but we mostly did it on the back parking lot at our main station, usually accompanied by a barbecue. It just sucks when you see the afternoon guys coming in at 1430, and you realize that you have to be back in your chair in the squad room for roll call in 8 hours, and you haven't slept yet...

Last edited by Aidokea; 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Bingo. I'm retired- if somebody wants me to get involved in some kind of cop stuff, even if it's just on TV, they're gonna have to pay me...a lot...
      I was actually on TV, for one of my homicide investigations... Blood Relatives was the show. I was paid, but the end result was highly disappointing and in no way accurate. It was an educational experience.
      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post
        I can't tell you what it is like in other departments, but in mine, patrol officers aren't subservient to detectives. I see so many shows where a detective calls over a "uniform" to "tag and bag" a piece of evidence that they, the detective, had found. If a detective handed me something they had already retrieved, I'd tell them to pound sand. Yep, detectives in my department get a gold badge for taking a test and passing an oral board, but they aren't supervisors.
        True over here in the UK too; Detective is a role rather than a rank. But ... until we fairly recently introduced direct entry Detectives, if you were a Detective, that would - usually - mean that you had a pretty extensive amount of experience in the dark arts of Policing. I'm a Detective (a late middle aged Detective, hence it is possible people are confusing age and wisdom) and I get asked for advice by (let's be honest, younger) uniformed colleagues pretty much every single working day. In addition, if CID have been called in, it's our job, and we want the investigation to be conducted in the proper fashion. Hence, if you drop all of of the items you seized in one evidence bag for convenience and decide to call it quits, you can pick 'em all out again, re-bag them and do it properly. And don't try and simply hand the attending Detectives random items at the scene; if you thought they were significant enough to remove from their context before the CSI/SOCO arrived, you can bag and statement them properly. In fact, yes, I guess I do tell people to "tag and bag" though I can't say I have ever used that exact phrase.

Now what REALLY bugs me about TV shows. How shall I count the ways ...

Police fighting to take over jurisdiction. The amount of effort that is put into passing responsibility for the investigation of a crime between units and, ultimately, between forces is ridiculous. Unlike TV, NO-ONE FIGHTS TO KEEP A CRIME! If someone swoops in and takes one of my crimes (unless I've already done 99% of the heavy lifting) I say, praise Buddha. I have lots and lots of crimes on my work-load which can then receive additional attention. One of the reasons I love The Wire is that they get this exactly right. The meeting over who should be responsible for the deaths of illegal immigrants in Season 2 (and the fact that is ultimately dumped on a dep't and individual manifestly unable to properly investigate it) is spot on.
        Last edited by Cockney Corner.; 08-07-2020, 02:03 PM.
        I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

I will add the Rookie with Nathan Fillion. When that show aired, I happened to have a late 40s trainee starting out. I watched episode one and stopped after that. They botched a DV in a way that would have cost them their jobs and the homicide victim’s family would have a sizable payout from the city of Los Angeles.
          I attended the academy at 43, and enjoyed Firefly, so I tried one episode of The Rookie.

I made it five minutes.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by grog18b View Post
            I don't watch cop shows. Something about actually doing it, as opposed to watching it on tv. I guess what would bother me is the people out there that believe that stuff.
            EXACTLY! LEOs aren't super-atheletes, super-models, geniuses, psychological supermen, infallible marksmen or anything else. They're human, sometimes with above-average talent in a particular skill but faaaaaaar from infallible or far from always corrupt (depending on what show/movie you're watching). IMO, the most realistic police show was the old "Hill Street Blues" show. To me, it was so realistic I REFUSED to watch it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4668 users online. 245 members and 4423 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X