300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixth Sense?

Well, its not a special power but hard to describe.

My friends uncle is a detective and my friends family was throwing a huge party.

The uncle decided to pass by for a few minutes to chat with the family and etc.

What i found amazing was how he was able to keep a loud active conversation with 5 other people and still be able to listen to the radio (dont know what you guys call it, but its the big ol handheld radio many detectives ive seen carry around while on duty).

Every once in a while he would tell everyone in the group to silence up for a second and he would answer back, i was like oh crap??? I tried doing it myself and try to listen to the radio and keep the conversation going but i would get lost in between both chatters.

How long till you guys get that sixth sense? Im sure many of you guys have no problem walking around with noise all over the place and still be able to hear your radio clearly.

To be honest I don't know how and when it started to happen but it does happen. I can be at a loud gathering and pick out when I am being called or when I need to pay attention and I can also ignore what I don't need to pay attention to. It just becomes natural and I don't even think of it until it is brought to my attention...like now
    "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

When you are in a crowd of people all of whom are talking can you hear someone call your name? Unless its really loud of course you can. A unit number is not much different than your name. Its not magic, its just like a conversation, you hear your name, you respond.
      Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
      Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

It's called developing a "radio ear." It happens with time and exposure...it used to be if I fell asleep, which of course I would never do on duty I would hear my call number if it was put out. If you're exposed to the constant chatter for about a month, you'll begin to develop your radio ear.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Lots of people are amazed by this "special ability." I get plenty of puzzled looks when I'm talking to a citizen and respond to checkups or get another call.

It's all part of multitasking. Multitasking is one of the most important things that an officer learns. I can drive, run radar, listen for dispatches on the radio (and usually keep track of where most of the other officers are and what they're doing, along with listening for dispatched for me), jam to tunes, be aware of my surroundings and watching for activity that might catch my attention, and even carry on a conversation all at the same time. It's a learned skill that comes with time and experience.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My wife calls it selective hearing. She is amazed that I can carry on a conversation with 3 people, monitor the radio, take a cell call and chew gum all at the same time, but I cant hear her when she asks me to take the trash out.
            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Somewhere along the line you reach the point where you can listen to your radio, the car radio, other jurisdictions in the area as well as fireboard's channel.
              John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                It's all part of multitasking. Multitasking is one of the most important things that an officer learns.
                Right on brother. I believe one of the hardest things to try and teach rookies is how to multi task.
                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                  My wife calls it selective hearing. She is amazed that I can carry on a conversation with 3 people, monitor the radio, take a cell call and chew gum all at the same time, but I cant hear her when she asks me to take the trash out.

Amen to that!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh so true!

Comment

Ditto! lol

Comment

At one point last night the 800Mhz, scanner, CB, and VHF all had traffic (800 and VHF were both for me), and I think the computer was dinging at me to boot (I'm pretty sure my cell phone was ringing too) and I looked at my partner and said "We need another radio in here."

Now we can start the "I've got more radios than you've got" thread.
                        Most to those who constantly question authority don't know the real answer to their own question. They blindly and lazily question and resist because they resent authority.

Fella 7/9/2008

Comment

I had one old-timer tell me that it takes around five years. That's about right.
                          Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                          Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2965 users online. 147 members and 2818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X