Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes do you think should be made to policing?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What changes do you think should be made to policing?

Originally posted by Crossroads King View Post
    I think we should all be allowed to wear shorts during the summer...

Comment

Instead of a philosophical answer, I'll just do a practical answer to this post. I thought everything was running pretty good by the time I had retired. If I was asked early on, I would have had several answers.

We had it pretty good with equipment, pay and benefits, but my all time complaint is that our districts were too big. Thousands of houses have been built in our districts - all with at least a small family moving in all our manpower never went up. Even though we weren't call to call most of the time, we became less effective in our patrolling by being less proactive and/or showing our face all over the districts due to call volume and report writing. Our presence was mostly in the high volume calls for service area so the other citizens would rarely see us.

One of my big complaints was how hard it was to locate a judge/magistrate for warrants, how unbelievably long it would take to book someone and how crazy long it took to turn over a crazy person to a mental health provider. I know these are local issues, but there was a lot of stress dealing with all of that.

Over time, we got not only take home units, but new SUVs with AWD. Over time, we not only got computers, but computers with full internet access including our unit MDTs. Over time, instead of having to go back to the station and handing your portable radio and the keys to an officer on the next shift, we got to patrol our way home where we'd go out of service. Even so, I'd do my daily and reports after work in my shorts on my home computer where we had secure access to our system. We could do warrant checks, registration checks, CAD inquiries all from our home computers. It beat having to stay in your hot vest and heavy duty belt at a community computer at the station at the end of shift and then commuting home in a POV.
      Last edited by angeredmgmt; 07-30-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

None. The reason we’re catching all this heat is because policing in the US works.

Minneapolis is just an excuse.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Rather than de funding police we need to Hyper fund the agencies

With a few exceptions most LE agencies GET BY with sub par equipment, inadequate resources and far too many vacancies in their Table of Organization.

We all have problems with radio coverage(or quality) outdated vests, vehicle maintenance, and other equipment woes. All of those can be "fixed" with adequate funding .
          Today's modern public safety radio systems cost MILLIONS of dollars even for smaller agencies. Car radios are about 6K a pop, hand helds go for about 3K each . Towers/transmitters/repeaters are just outlandish . Those components are meshed together with multiple computers & operators

Vehicles ..............well most studies will tell you that dedicated squads cost less per mile if they are issued to individual officers than using a motor pool approach. Initial outlay is of course much higher but on going maintenance costs are extremely lower if the officer is responsible for their ride . This is true even if it is not a take home car but housed at the station but assigned to individual officers.

Increase funding to outside resources including beefing up the courts, mental health professionals , social workers to deal with family matters, thus freeing police staff for "police work"

Decreasing vacancies in agencies really helps the workforce by decreasing OverTime, allows for adequate vacations for the officers, allows better and more training hours and eliminates "call to call days".

Last but not least..............................INCREASE the equality of the staff. Increase the qualifications and training of new officers as well as making sure current officers meet stringent standards.

Yep, it costs money to have good cops
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Crap radio coverage, cheap Korean replacement tires, pool cars with square wheels, and people hired/promoted based on their skin color and/or sexual preference instead of their actual ability to do the job...

For the brass to remember this: To recognize always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.
          1*

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            No s#it- not everything we do requires killing trees...

• Bing_Oh
            Bing_Oh commented
            Editing a comment
            As far as admin is concerned, stats make the world go 'round...even if nobody does anything with them.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3713 users online. 274 members and 3439 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X